Trio died drinking $2 moonshine

Discuss safety issues here.

Re: Trio died drinking $2 moonshine

Postby Woodsy71 » Tue Dec 06, 2016 11:06 pm

Woodsy71

equipment: CM and a Pot

Postby warramungas » Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:07 am

Doesn't 'laced' mean deliberate addition like 'spiked'? Because killing customers is always good for business.
I wonder if they weren't alcoholics, just your average drinker, after the first mind splitting hangover from the methanol and acetones they'd have gone "F**k that shit. Not drinking that again!"
I would be curious to know what was distilled to produce lethal quantities of methanol though or whether their systems were so compromised from the alcoholism they couldn't handle sub lethal doses (yes, no methanol is good for you) a healthy person might.
Even without the media flogging the horse to death and trying to make Mary look like the new Hitler, Mary should have the book thrown at her. These people were vulnerable and she tried to make a buck off them. Like selling crack in a rehab clinic. Even if no deaths had occurred she should still have been prosecuted.
warramungas

equipment: 180 litre fermenter x 2
30 liter boiler
PDA-1
2" four plate modular bubbler
2" one meter long LM column
110 liter boiler with 25 liter (max) inline thumper
4" x 4 plate bubble cap still

Postby beardrinkshomebrew » Thu Dec 08, 2016 5:18 pm

Woman charged over toxic moonshine deaths in Collarenebri

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-12-08/w ... c=Newsmail
beardrinkshomebrew

equipment: .....................

Postby beardrinkshomebrew » Wed Dec 28, 2016 5:37 pm

Christmas moonshine kills 23 in Pakistan town

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-12-27/c ... c=Newsmail
beardrinkshomebrew

Postby TasSpirits » Wed Dec 28, 2016 6:36 pm

I was recently talking to some Indian colleges about the shine over there, you pay more for the foreshots :scared-eek: apparently its the best part of the run.
TasSpirits

equipment: Some FSD Gear as well as some home-made

Postby beardrinkshomebrew » Wed Dec 28, 2016 10:36 pm

I will pay less then & suffer by drinking the hearts :romance-heart:
beardrinkshomebrew

Postby wynnum1 » Thu Dec 29, 2016 11:23 am

Siberia alcohol-related deaths prompt Russian President Vladimir Putin to demand reform

The Irkutsk region's health ministry said that the number of deaths from the poisoning had risen to 62 from 41 on Monday, and that 36 people remained in hospital.
Those who died in Irkutsk had swigged a bath oil called Hawthorn, whose label advertised an ethanol content of 93 per cent.

Investigators said bootleggers had been selling the product for a long time without any instances of poisoning, but that the fatal batch was contaminated by methylated spirit, a toxic substance found in cleaning materials and paint stripper.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-12-22/p ... hs/8140478
wynnum1

Postby scythe » Thu Dec 29, 2016 4:27 pm

Play stupid games and win stupid prizes.
scythe

equipment: Dreaming of a 4" bubbler

Postby Darwin award » Fri Dec 30, 2016 4:39 pm

"We are happy that she has been charged," Ms Flick said.
"I have spoken to the residents and they were smiling and high-fiving."
The close-knit Indigenous community plan to attend the court case in Walgett next month.

This pisses me off. I had an Aboriginal employee, great bloke, good sense of humor, loved his job and loved being part of our team.
he got hospitalized for drinking too much and warned that next time he may not recover. 2 short months later he drank 3 bottles of bundy
one after the other at a party in his "close knit community" 2 months after that they turned the machine off that had been keeping him alive. I went to the funeral and I'm sorry, but all I could think was, "Why didn't you stop him when he was skulling the rum?"

Same might be asked of these high-fiving community members who were well aware of what was going on.
That said, I have no sympathy for the lady selling it. :handgestures-thumbdown:
Darwin award
Site Donor

equipment: Reflux still 1x store bought 1x home made copper 1 x eBay pot still....1 FSD Neutralizer set up and happy in it's new home

Postby Plumby » Fri Dec 30, 2016 8:19 pm

Darwin award wrote:"We are happy that she has been charged," Ms Flick said.
"I have spoken to the residents and they were smiling and high-fiving."
The close-knit Indigenous community plan to attend the court case in Walgett next month.

This pisses me off. I had an Aboriginal employee, great bloke, good sense of humor, loved his job and loved being part of our team.
he got hospitalized for drinking too much and warned that next time he may not recover. 2 short months later he drank 3 bottles of bundy
one after the other at a party in his "close knit community" 2 months after that they turned the machine off that had been keeping him alive. I went to the funeral and I'm sorry, but all I could think was, "Why didn't you stop him when he was skulling the rum?"

Same might be asked of these high-fiving community members who were well aware of what was going on.
That said, I have no sympathy for the lady selling it. :handgestures-thumbdown:

:text-+1:
Plumby

equipment: 50 litre keg boiler with a 2200watt element and a 2 inch pot still called Shaniqua with a 32mm over 19mm 800mm long liebig condenser attached.

Postby bluc » Fri Dec 30, 2016 8:29 pm

I think in this case moonshine is an excuse and a whipping boy. I think the fact they had serious health issues has been overlooked, or going by statements perhaps excessive methanol was detected.
But the thing that niggles me is they already had alcohol related liver issues and I think the fact that they were drinking moonshine is moot point.

Still dont know how ahe managed to get high levels of methanol in her product unless it was spiked directly with metho/methanol. Or she was doing fruit with no heads cut..
Or a media beat up....
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby peter01010101 » Sun Jan 01, 2017 11:07 am

The main contributing factor here, as I understand it, is not the amount of methanol in any one bottle, or any one batch (though the cuts routine is clearly omitted here). It is in fact the concentration of accumulated methanol within the body over a prolonged period of heavy abuse.

My interpretation of the report from Pr Whyte is that methanol can not be metabolised in the body in the presence of ethanol, so it accumulates until no ethanol is present then metabolises to a big batch of formic acid. So the methanol poisoning didn't come from one bottle.

While methanol is the poison, poor distillation practice is a main contributor, chronic abuse is also a major factor, with disastrous consequences.
peter01010101

equipment: 4" 4 plate glasser - 2" 'Pelican' Pot - 2" Carter Head gin rig - 2" LM reflux.
50L keg boiler with 2200w weldless element - Mangrove Jacks 25L electric boiler.
Air Still mini still (which I still use regularly)
All grain beer brewing setup.

Previous

Return to Safety Discussion