10 amp 15 amp ??

Discuss safety issues here.

Re: 10 amp 15 amp ??

Postby R-sole » Sat Jan 28, 2012 9:26 am

I'm hoping there would be no repercussions at all for stating your qualified opinion, Panda.

That's the type of board i'm happy to be a member of.

I agree with a lot of things you're saying (cept for the fucking cowboys and reckless idioys comment) and i have always at every stage reccomended that electrical jobs be done by an electrician (which i'm not) and have paid one myself for everything more difficult than wiring a plug on a lead.

You can state your opinion and leave it at that though without having to draw a line in the sand you can't walk away from. ;-)

Be a shame to lose a good member over something you have no stake in.
R-sole

equipment: Keg based pot stiller. 3" vm for occasionally making product for macerations and redistillation.

Postby maheel » Sat Jan 28, 2012 9:44 am

yeah lets not start a shit fight, we have all done stupid unsafe things

15amp (+10 amp draw) into a 10amp is the wrong thing to do, we all no why, it dangerous and could cause death or other

just remember, if something happens to a loved one (or un-loved one) and the insurer / inspectors see that your doing your own wiring your at risk of NO INSURANCE

the safety factor is put there for a reason...

a friend recently climbed onto his roof in the rain to fix a leak, he fell from the roof cracked his skull and his wife and child found him dead on the ground in the rain.
he also worked for one of the most safety proactive companies in Australia where there is no way he would have been allowed to do it in an unsafe manner let alone the rain. (sadly this is a true story no BS)

factor in the risks into anything you do and err on the side of safety
maheel

Postby 8-ball » Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:26 am

i wasnt condoning making a 10 to 15amp lead i was more inclining to make a imitation switchboard that can legally have a 15amp outlet in a 10amp socket believe me i have searched the as3000 and asked alot of sparkys i work/worked with thats the point of the breaker to provide the required protection i also don't condone people doing there own electrical work and should either befriend a sparky or talk to one and get them to check their work as one would do with a apprentice

people do their own electrical work we all know it i would rather people doing so safely rather than without knowledge same as this hobby
but im not going on about it anymore
8-ball

equipment: t500, 25lt boiler ( used 6 times )
2" simple pot, (sits ontop of the 2 plater )
gas + 3.6kw electric 80l keg with 6in opening
2 x 4" perforated plate with 2in shotty

Postby MacStill » Sat Jan 28, 2012 1:31 pm

Panda,

You're entitled to your opinion that's fine, but there's no need to carry on calling people wreckless idiots & Fucking cowboys, I've read what you've said and think your a bit smarter than that ;-)

It's upto you if you leave, just dont let the door hit you in the arse on the way out.

Cheers.
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby 8-ball » Sat Jan 28, 2012 1:58 pm

Mcstill he is right in a sense but as i said people here are and will do/ing there own electrical work which to be honest is easy but i would like to see people do it safe i know its against the law but still safety is number 1 in my mind
8-ball

equipment: t500, 25lt boiler ( used 6 times )
2" simple pot, (sits ontop of the 2 plater )
gas + 3.6kw electric 80l keg with 6in opening
2 x 4" perforated plate with 2in shotty

Postby MacStill » Sat Jan 28, 2012 2:05 pm

I've just applied to the real estate to have a 15amp outlet installed in the shed at my expense, but I wasnt going to wait a month to try out my new toy ;-)

By the time I get back from work in March I'll be legal & safe :mrgreen:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby Panda » Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:03 pm

Last edited by Panda on Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Panda

equipment: T500 & CM with pot head.

Postby MacStill » Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:19 pm

This forum has been very helpful, I like it alot, and I wanted to be a positive part of it. But as long as there are electricians on here happy to give dangerous advice to trusting others that know no better AND admin are silly enough to let them, I will not be involved in any way other then lurking for my own gain.

So now I'm silly because I don't know a thing about electrics & I let a sparky give me advise that "you" disagree with ?

Your rude arrogant attitude in this topic is the type of crap that belongs on HD and not here, if you cant discuss issues without being an arse hole then maybe it is best you do go back to just lurking.

McStill wrote:I've just applied to the real estate to have a 15amp outlet installed in the shed at my expense, but I wasnt going to wait a month to try out my new toy ;-)

Is this good enough for you?

Take a chill pill FFS :violence-stickwhack:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby R-sole » Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:28 pm

I tried.
R-sole

equipment: Keg based pot stiller. 3" vm for occasionally making product for macerations and redistillation.

Postby MacStill » Sat Jan 28, 2012 5:04 pm

I hate locking topics and/or deleting stuff but this one is getting close.
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby olddog » Sat Jan 28, 2012 5:40 pm

Panda wrote:How much current can a 15 amp Appliance potentially pull?
3600 watts

OD
Last edited by Anonymous on Sat Jan 28, 2012 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: for pushing buttons...
olddog

equipment: Flute Mk 11 4 plate column with single 2" bubble caps

Postby MacStill » Sat Jan 28, 2012 6:37 pm

McStill wrote:I've just applied to the real estate to have a 15amp outlet installed in the shed at my expense, but I wasnt going to wait a month to try out my new toy ;-)

OK my question has been answered I think :think:

Enough crap, move on :handgestures-thumbupleft:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby maheel » Sat Jan 28, 2012 7:22 pm

I brought the stick, it's being cleaned up.

Keep the trash talk out of it
maheel

Postby MacStill » Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:19 pm

I've moved this topic here as it seems a more appropriate section for it.
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby Panda » Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:08 pm

8-ball wrote:actually if you get a 15 amp lead and put a 10 amp plug on it its safe but still illegal. id go with that caravan thingy or get a box put a 16amp breaker and a 15amp pp in it with a 10 amp lead wire it up take a pic of how its wired ill have a look at it for ya and bingo same thing only half the price

something like this without the temp controller and obviously in 15amp this would cost $5 for a lead, $10 for a box, $5 for a cb, $25 for the 15amp outlet so about $45 would cover it
2011-12-12 18.06.24.jpg
ps if anyone want me to make one of these for the i can do them for about $125 plus postage or a cooling only $100+ it could be cheaper just have to buy all the gear havnt made one for a while

Bullshit aside, I request that this post be deleted as it gives forum viewers misleading instruction on making a 10 to 15 amp adapter. A 16 amp breaker used in these circumstances will only provide short circuit protection (already provided by fuse or breaker feeding the power point and therefor redundant), it will not offer overload protection of the power point in any form.

A 10 amp outlet is only rated to safely supply 10amps, regardless of the rating of the breaker and cable supplying this outlet, it shall never have more then 10 amps drawn through it from an appliance. Any more current will cause damage to the outlet and significantly increase the risk of electrocution or fire (this can happen long after the initial damage has been done, as once the outlet is damaged its electrical integrity will continue to deteriorate over time with ordinary use.

Ordinarily a 10 amp outlet is protected from overcurrent, as only appliances with a rated maximum current of less then 10amp (it may even be around 8amp, I can't for the life of me recall what standard this rule is in) will have a 10amp plug on it. It will never draw more then 10 amp unless it has a failure which will almost always result in either an open circuit (stops working and draws no current), a short circuit (an incredible amount of current will flow, instantaneously tripping the circuit breaker feeding the outlet), or a fault to earth (popping the residual current device aka safety swith. in older buildings without safety switches, a fault to earth will rely on a low resistance earth path to the multiple earth neutral system to create a short circuit and again, trip the circuit breaker/fuse.).

When an appliance is manufactured that draws more then 10amp, it will be fitted with a 15 amp plug to make it deliberately incompatible with a 10 amp outlet as the appliances maximum current rating is the only overload protection given to a power point.

The ampfibian 10 to 15 amp adapters bypass this protection, but replace it with a circuit breaker (of which I do not know the rating or trip curve, I have my doubts that is is simply a 10amp C curve breaker) To prevent users pushing an appliance past the safe operating current of the outlet, they meet australian standards, and have been deemed a safe option.

8 balls adapter, however, is not. if this design is built it will offer no overload protection for the outlet. The 16amp breaker, in it's intended design, will never cut power to a 15 amp appliance drawing over 10 amp from a 10 amp outlet. It Is effectively the same as making an extension lead with a 10 amp male plug and 15 amp female plug, which also for all of the above reasons, making one, is a very poor decision.

I apologize for my attitude yesterday, but I hope members now understand why I lost my cool when McStill was being given the advice he was been given. Same as if any of you would feel if you saw members without care or knowledge giving dangerous distilling advice that could end very badly.

I worry if the above quoted post stays up, that someone will trustingly build it and will put their faith in it to create a safe environment.

Thank you
Panda

Postby Panda » Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:13 pm

I also ask that my above post remains for future reference

I also add, the circuit breaker in your homes switchboard is only offering overload protection to the cable feeding the PowerPoint, not the point itself
Panda

Postby The Stig » Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:23 pm

Panda wrote:I also ask that my above post remains for future reference

Done, your opinion is always welcome here.
The Stig
Site Nerd

equipment: Only the Best will Do.
Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby MacStill » Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:25 pm

Thank you Panda for taking the time to clear up what a lot of us dont understand, and thanks for doing it politely... good job :handgestures-thumbupleft:

I'll leave both posts up "for now" and suggest you and 8-ball have a chat via pm to get your differences sorted out, then you can both come back here and edit your own posts to make sure we are all safe.

How does that sound?

Cheers.
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby The Stig » Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:31 pm

Maybe Panda and the 8 Ball could call around my place and drink their differences away, just a thought.
The Stig
Site Nerd

equipment: Only the Best will Do.
Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby R-sole » Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:32 am

The fact that you have provided your correcting post is enough without us running round deleting stuff.
R-sole

PreviousNext

Return to Safety Discussion