Methanol

Discuss safety issues here.

Re: Methanol

Postby Zak Griffin » Thu Nov 03, 2016 7:48 am

All good AB...

I think we can let this discussion fizzle out now, it's obviously not going anywhere.
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

equipment: "The Heart of Gold" - 4" Bubbler - finally bubbling!
"Zaphod" - 3" Pot - retired
"Agrajag" - 6" Bubbler - midlife crisis build?

Postby moonshinindawg » Thu Nov 03, 2016 1:20 pm

other then the fact its over 80% and that induces vomiting, denatonium/bitrex is nontoxic!
Its often used as the placebo in medical trials! http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/0021968187901871
And is also used to stop thumb sucking in children!

There is however an issue with how the ethanol is produced for diggers, it could be using GM yeast or it can be made from cracked hydrocarbons which doesn't involve fermentation, in that case there is possibility of heavy metal impurities and other nasties.

If you cant detect my sarcasm, then this is my final message
Metho is worse then fernet and the bitterness is increasing and will persist on your pallet for a long time with the amount thats in metho
Not to mention it could infact contain nasty impurities, it is however a common misconseption that the impurity is methanol
moonshinindawg

equipment: Offset Valved Reflux

Postby Sam. » Thu Nov 03, 2016 5:10 pm

Mate sarcasm is very hard to tell in this format and although I do like sarcasm it's not appropriate in the Safety Discussion forum ;-)
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby Kenster » Thu Nov 03, 2016 7:08 pm

Moon'dawg, for what its worth, i found your posts interesting . A lot of dudes know stuff and to get another form of insight is not a bad thing...which ever way it is perceived.
Kenster

equipment: Still Spirits... turbo 500...retired.(Boiler retained, added 3kw element with variable temp)
RPG...3''x1200mm LM/VM combo...400mm double wound coldie
3''x1200mm copper pot & shares leibig from combo.

Postby Sam. » Thu Nov 03, 2016 8:12 pm

Kenster wrote:Moon'dawg, for what its worth, i found your posts interesting . A lot of dudes know stuff and to get another form of insight is not a bad thing...which ever way it is perceived.

Yep thats great that its 80% true and 20% bullshit and everyone out there is meant to be able determine that but like I said in a safety discussion thread there is no place for misinformation no matter how it is supposed to be perceived.
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby Woodsy71 » Thu Nov 03, 2016 9:28 pm

rumdidlydum wrote:
moonshinindawg wrote:mate i was clearly taking the piss, your either a bit green cos of the last part of my post or you genuinely think that somebody can stomach more then 10ml of bitrex, those are some randy march wheelbarrow nuts if you can

Mate, the fact is those sort of coments should not be said on an open forum period...
If you would like to argue the point feel free to pm myself or one of the team.

Just remember this is a forum to help newbies as much as growing the knowledge for the experienced. Its not a place to comment or sugest on risky or unsafe practices.

Spot on rummy :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Wrong message indeed.

However, i reckon Mdawg was rightly calling "BullShit" on the post prior.... but he is guilty of getting carried away :naughty:

I hope he's learnt a lesson :pray:
Woodsy71

equipment: CM and a Pot

Previous

Return to Safety Discussion