Methanol

Discuss safety issues here.

Re: Methanol

Postby Ploopyster » Tue Jun 23, 2015 5:51 pm

[quote="Hobo"]
Another interesting fact is that Methylated Spirits is not pure methanol, it is in fact mostly Ethanol which has methanol added to it to poison it for industrial use as opposed to drinking purposes...
Sounds like a cheap wash 8-}
Ploopyster

equipment: Home-made jobby. 2" 1metre column with interchangeable pot still head (with 500mm 2" shotgun condenser) and building a boka head with Liebig condenser.

Postby jacobraven » Tue Jun 23, 2015 6:25 pm

its actually added to stop people getting alcohol cheaply ethanol is a great inexpensive cleaner but the methanol is added to make it undrinkable
jacobraven

equipment: 100 Litre Milk Can
Neutralizer
2 2400w

Postby rumdidlydum » Tue Jun 23, 2015 6:27 pm

Thats interesting to know.
Obviously no one is stupid enough to try it?!
I wouldn't want to see anyone potentialy killing them self over less than $10 of ingredients for a tpw.
Or posting anything else along those lines.....
Rant over. :?
Good useless info though :handgestures-thumbupleft:
rumdidlydum

equipment: The infamous Illuminated chicken leg boiler, Rum glass and other bits and bobs

Postby Boomgate » Tue Jun 23, 2015 7:03 pm

Sam. wrote:
Technofreax wrote:If you buy Methylated Spirits in Supermarket or hardware and check the label you will find it says 95% Ethanol.
I believe they have taken out the 30% Methyl Alcohol & Pyredine ( colour/ bittering agent) so the meth drinkers don't poison themselves and the manufacturer doesn't get hit with a manslaughter charge. :teasing-tease:

You can drink that shit if you want :wtf:

It's also customary to drop in at the welcome centre to introduce yourself for your first post ;-)

and he never posed again :) you scared him off
Boomgate

equipment: 25L Ultra Pure Reflux.

Postby Sam. » Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:59 pm

Boomgate wrote:
Sam. wrote:
Technofreax wrote:If you buy Methylated Spirits in Supermarket or hardware and check the label you will find it says 95% Ethanol.
I believe they have taken out the 30% Methyl Alcohol & Pyredine ( colour/ bittering agent) so the meth drinkers don't poison themselves and the manufacturer doesn't get hit with a manslaughter charge. :teasing-tease:

It's also customary to drop in at the welcome centre to introduce yourself for your first post ;-)

Probably for the best, we don't like the idea of anyone trying to redstill any commercial product for another use to make drinking alcohol out of.

Who wants to distill their petrol to get the ethanol out? :angry-banghead:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby jacobraven » Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:38 pm

Sam. wrote:
Boomgate wrote:
Sam. wrote:

Probably for the best, we don't like the idea of anyone trying to redstill any commercial product for another use to make drinking alcohol out of.

Who wants to distill their petrol to get the ethanol out? :angry-banghead:

e85? no thanks
jacobraven

equipment: 100 Litre Milk Can
Neutralizer
2 2400w

Postby wynnum1 » Fri Oct 21, 2016 10:04 am

An inquest into the deaths of three Aboriginal people believed to be caused by drinking home-brewed alcohol, commonly known as moonshine,All three lived at Walli Reserve, an Aboriginal community outside the small northwestern New South Wales town of Collarenebri, and an inquest into their deaths in nearby Walgett
wynnum1

Postby Teddysad » Fri Oct 21, 2016 3:11 pm

I suggest you change your beliefs.
It is the other 5% which is the methyl alcohol and bittering agent - that is more than sufficient to make the methylated spirits a diabolical and poisonous concoction .

There have been many attempts to separate the Methyl etc but once mixed in the stuff is poison and potentially lethal..
Teddysad

equipment: FSD 4"SSG with packed column 50l Boiler keg. Alex 25 for smaller scale runs

Postby warramungas » Fri Oct 21, 2016 4:51 pm

Just to clear the air here a little. They just have to make it unfit for human consumption. Not unsafe. Some do not use methanol at all and its unlikely all 5%, if they did use methanol, would be methanol. Some, like diggers, only use bittering agents that are hard to remove due to a similar boiling point to ethanol unlike methanol which you can distill out of the solution reasonably easily. These are usually tannins or some other similar product that taste like arse with a splash of formaldehyde for taste. Usually low toxicity but will make you sick if can tolerate the taste and do drink too much.
If you really want to check for methanol you need to read the msds of the individual product where everything has to be listed by law.
Having said that, I wouldn't bother mucking with it (except maybe for cleaning) unless you like drinking something that tastes like concentrated earwax.
warramungas

equipment: 180 litre fermenter x 2
30 liter boiler
PDA-1
2" four plate modular bubbler
2" one meter long LM column
110 liter boiler with 25 liter (max) inline thumper
4" x 4 plate bubble cap still

Postby Sam. » Fri Oct 21, 2016 5:52 pm

Teddysad wrote:

It is the other 5% which is the methyl alcohol and bittering agent - that is more than sufficient to make the methylated spirits a diabolical and poisonous concoction .

There have been many attempts to separate the Methyl etc but once mixed in the stuff is poison and potentially lethal..

Your talking to a ghost mate, he hasn't logged in since his one shit post. Has probably died from drinking metho by now :roll:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby Aussiedownunder01 » Wed Nov 02, 2016 10:50 am

Hi can somebody please point me to that[ chart,, graph ]
That shows heads hearts and tails
Aussiedownunder01

Location: So close to melbourne airport you can hear the plains
equipment: 100 litre boiler with a 4 in 5 plate bubbler on top with a 500 packed section standing by if needed

Postby Doubleuj » Wed Nov 02, 2016 11:24 am

Aussiedownunder01 wrote:Hi can somebody please point me to that[ chart,, graph ]
That shows heads hearts and tails

do you mean kiwistillers guide to cuts?
http://aussiedistiller.com.au/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=2859
Doubleuj
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" stainless glasser

Postby Aussiedownunder01 » Wed Nov 02, 2016 6:42 pm

Yep that's the one thanks
Aussiedownunder01

Location: So close to melbourne airport you can hear the plains
equipment: 100 litre boiler with a 4 in 5 plate bubbler on top with a 500 packed section standing by if needed

Postby moonshinindawg » Wed Nov 02, 2016 8:39 pm

Teddysad wrote:

Mate you are just plain wrong
If it was methanol the msds would say it was methanol, thats what the damn thing is for

There are only 3 constituents to metho and i will list them as they occour
Ethanol, water, bitrex (denatonium benzoate see:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denatonium)

If an additional unsafe thing was in it it would be in the msds or someone would be getting sued every time somebody drank the stuff

Now if you do some research there is a complex event happening when you denature ethanol with bitrex, bitrex has a very similar vapour pressure to EtOH and as a result will vapourise around the same temperature points, making it quite a complex thing to seperate without a dual phase/ion exchange approach

The last thing that makes the quoted post by teddysad ridiculous is the fact EtOH is not anhydrous (void of water) and to exist and be exposed to the atmosphere it must exist as an azeotrope with around 5% water. You can dry it though fractional distillation under an inert environment or a desiccating agent like microsieves but i dont think you would ever want to or need to.

You can drink metho, you just have to have nuts because bitrex is gross and detable very prominently on the palate though several folds of dilution (ie <1% EtOH) and you wont seperate it without expensive things! if you want to give it a try make a negroni! I have a bar tender mate who is also an engineer that made a serious of youtube videos on using metho in ritzy cocktails.
He was trying to start #diggeres4thediggers on anzac day this year!
moonshinindawg

equipment: Offset Valved Reflux

Postby rumdidlydum » Wed Nov 02, 2016 8:58 pm

Just because you seem to know what you are talking about, we at Aussie Distiller don't condone drinking metho and any other posts in that fashion you will get a strike 1.
rumdidlydum

equipment: The infamous Illuminated chicken leg boiler, Rum glass and other bits and bobs

Postby moonshinindawg » Thu Nov 03, 2016 12:16 am

mate i was clearly taking the piss, your either a bit green cos of the last part of my post or you genuinely think that somebody can stomach more then 10ml of bitrex, those are some randy march wheelbarrow nuts if you can
moonshinindawg

equipment: Offset Valved Reflux

Postby Knocklofty » Thu Nov 03, 2016 6:15 am

Please don't post shit cause us Newbies read it , we're looking up to you for guidance
Knocklofty

equipment: Reflux and pot

Postby wynnum1 » Thu Nov 03, 2016 6:27 am

One of the reasons methylated spirits does not contain methanol is that it is used in workplaces and the methanol causes health problems and headaches and can be inhaled or absorption through skin and safer not to include and you can buy industrial methylated spirits that has no water but its expensive.Methyl Isobutyl Ketone is listed in methylated spirits also.
wynnum1

Postby rumdidlydum » Thu Nov 03, 2016 6:43 am

moonshinindawg wrote:mate i was clearly taking the piss, your either a bit green cos of the last part of my post or you genuinely think that somebody can stomach more then 10ml of bitrex, those are some randy march wheelbarrow nuts if you can

Mate, the fact is those sort of coments should not be said on an open forum period...
If you would like to argue the point feel free to pm myself or one of the team.

Just remember this is a forum to help newbies as much as growing the knowledge for the experienced. Its not a place to comment or sugest on risky or unsafe practices.
rumdidlydum

Postby aussiebrewer » Thu Nov 03, 2016 7:36 am

i know there is something in metho bottles making it more cost to separate than its worth, that it is hazardous to our health and i dont think i need to know anymore unless i go into the field.

Its dangerous to ingest period. if it wasnt then people would be snapping up $4 bottles of the shit in the bush and we would hear alot more of bad cases of poisoning and shit.

i think the info you posted was alright moonshinindawg, certainly didnt look like you were having us on and it was somewhat informative on what i kind of already knew but with the ttechnical terms in it this time.

but your mate shouldnt try making people cocktails with the shit. That is not on, and if someone made me a drink like that i would probably attack them in a way i cant describe on this forum. Just not on :snooty:

technical shits ok i think, but never condone drinking or giving people metho in drinks. :naughty:

Just looking at the post above mine, maybe i should have not said anything :think: my bad rumdiddlilyrum
aussiebrewer

equipment: pot still on a 50l keg

PreviousNext

Return to Safety Discussion