Winter Warning

Discuss safety issues here.

Winter Warning

Postby Urrazeb » Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:02 pm

For those considering cutting a shroud for their boilers... think it through, and once you have thought about it get someone else to look at it, and once they've looked at it get someone else.

I thought mine through, got someone else to look at it, I've done it before, fired it up and presto! it works

So I nip outside to check my coolant return as there is a slight kink in the hose, all good! ;)

Go back to the shed and smell rubber burning... hmm I thinks, wandering over to my boiler, I notice the gas hose is ON FIRE, so I turn to the 45kg gas bottle and start shutting it off, wouldn't ya know it my mate opened the valve AS MUCH AS HE FUCKING COULD, I just shut it off as the hose spat off the fitting and bacame a flamethrower, brushing my fuck knows what gen rum ferment.

Just be careful guys.. please be careful
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Urrazeb

equipment: Column & pot

Re: Winter Warning

Postby dogbreath vodka » Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:06 pm

Go out and buy a Lottery ticket..... cause you're one lucky bugger. :scared-eek: :scared-eek: :scared-eek:

DBV
dogbreath vodka

equipment: "Steampunk 2 - 6" Bubble cap
"Jimmy" the 4" Carter head

Postby JayD » Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:08 pm

Glad you survived to tell the tale, this is a warning though, take heed...you might not be so lucky next time. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
JayD

equipment: JayD's Copper Worx

Postby MacStill » Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:18 pm

Fuck gas
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby Kimbo » Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:20 pm

JayD wrote:Glad you survived to tell the tale, this is a warning though, take heed...you might not be so lucky next time. :handgestures-thumbupleft:

:text-+1:
Thats why I have a 3/4" braided hose on my burner ;-)
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" bubbler with a 6"inline thumper

Winter Warning

Postby Dominator » Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:25 pm

MacStill wrote:Fuck gas

What he said.
Dominator

equipment: 2" Pot Still/Hybrid
4" Perf Plate Bubbler
50L Keg boiler with 2 x 2400w elements

Postby Brendan » Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:31 pm

MacStill wrote:Fuck gas

:text-+1: Well said...too many extra dangers to worry about :naughty:
Brendan

equipment: 4.99L Essential oil extractor

Postby DevilsBugs » Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:16 pm

Buy a gas fuse, it cuts off if a leak is detected. Worth the bucks for a bit of insurance.
Bunnings and most Hardware places stock them.
DevilsBugs

equipment: Essencia Reflux Still, 25l boiler.

Postby Urrazeb » Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:21 pm

Boiler upgrade is on the cards after that. The noise, heat and lost energy are too much, and after this I am making the switch.

I happen to have a contact that can supply full element kits for a reasonable price ;)
Urrazeb

equipment: Column & pot

Postby RumFiend » Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:24 pm

Now would probably be a fitting time for all those using gas to (re)consider their fire safety plans.. you do have fire safety plans don't you? At least a fire extinguisher close by? Fire blanket perhaps?

You're keeping as much of the combustibles as possible away from the flame? i.e. you're not distilling in the same place that you bottle or store your hooch. Look around you, what other objects could catch on fire. Personal safety should never be skimped on or taken for granted - plus we all want to be able to savour our fine booze, not skull it in haste to mitigate the pain of third degree burns! :D
RumFiend

equipment: idea reflux.
common-sense condenser.

SS plated bubbler

Postby tipsy » Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:06 am

Urrazeb wrote: my mate opened the valve AS MUCH AS HE FUCKING COULD

I see people doing this all the time :violence-stickwhack:
tipsy

equipment: 4" Mac 4 with packed section and gin basket on a 50lt boiler with 2 2400w FSD elements.

Postby Camikaze » Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:24 am

Don't leave it unattended!

Sod's Law says it's the best time for shit to go wrong. Right when you turn your back. Turn the fucker off if you have to.

If your mate opened the gas valve as much as he could, where were you to correct him of his errors?

It's your still, you should be the only one driving it. You should be the one taking the time to check/re-check everything before ignition.

Supervise very closely if your mate wants a crack at it. At the end of the day, it's your house he burns down with your still. Try explaining that!

PS: That gas hose wasn't connected with a jubilee clamp was it? :naughty:
Camikaze

equipment: The 'Lamb-cannon' 4" stainless modular hybrid on a keg, shottie-cooled with 185,000 btu up its arse

Winter Warning

Postby Rumdrinker » Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:33 am

Very lucky you caught it when you did, your day could have turned to shit in seconds.
I love the speed & adjustability of gas but no matter how safe you make it you just can't eliminate the dangers. Using an open flame is a constant ignition source for any mishaps & the gas is a potential fuel source when something goes wrong like it did with you here.
Electric is so much safer when set up correctly
Rumdrinker

equipment: Electric & HP gas Keg boilers. 4" pot still for stripping & rum, Bubbler in the making.....

Postby forefold » Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:56 pm

In case not everyone knows......... A gas bottle only need to be cracked open half a turn no more. This is the first thing you learn as an apprentice working with gas of any type. If shit goes wrong you can shut the gas off very quickly. There is no need to open it any further.
forefold

equipment: BOKA - 50ltr keg, 3200w element, 2.5 " column

Postby cdbrown » Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:01 pm

So was the hose touching the hot shroud, or did the shroud cause the flames to start licking at the hose?

Glad I got the braided hose.
cdbrown

equipment: 50L keg with McStill pot head, 3-ring burner on MP adj reg (upgrading to italian spiral)
McStill Copper Parrot
3v 50L brew rig with HERMS for 42L homebrew batches

Postby DrunkASAskunk » Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:12 pm

Camikaze wrote:Don't leave it unattended!

Sod's Law says it's the best time for shit to go wrong. Right when you turn your back. Turn the fucker off if you have to.

If your mate opened the gas valve as much as he could, where were you to correct him of his errors?

It's your still, you should be the only one driving it. You should be the one taking the time to check/re-check everything before ignition.

Supervise very closely if your mate wants a crack at it. At the end of the day, it's your house he burns down with your still. Try explaining that!

PS: That gas hose wasn't connected with a jubilee clamp was it? :naughty:

:handgestures-thumbupleft:
DrunkASAskunk

equipment: what i the diff

Postby crow » Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:00 pm

Rumdrinker wrote:Very lucky you caught it when you did, your day could have turned to shit in seconds.
I love the speed & adjustability of gas but no matter how safe you make it you just can't eliminate the dangers. Using an open flame is a constant ignition source for any mishaps & the gas is a potential fuel source when something goes wrong like it did with you here.

I beg to differ here , you are stating this as if electricity is risk free and not one thing could go wrong "bullshit" . What ever you use some common sense needs to be employed , having a rubber gas hose connected where it can get hot and catch fire is not "common sense" not even close to it. In fact it is exactly comparable to bodgy element wiring
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby bt1 » Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:04 pm

Yeh +1 Crow,

surely gas feed in our game should have always been braided SS hose and well away from heat source....very simple consideration really.

bt1
bt1

equipment: 2 x Glass Bubblers, 5 plate 89mm & 6 plate 110mm
4" 6 plate copper bubbler, 500mm copper packed section
Several pots, custom boiler
14 keg rotating brew setup, fermentation & dispenser fridges.

Winter Warning

Postby Rumdrinker » Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:11 pm

crow wrote:
Rumdrinker wrote:Very lucky you caught it when you did, your day could have turned to shit in seconds.

I beg to differ here , you are stating this as if electricity is risk free and not one thing could go wrong "bullshit" . What ever you use some common sense needs to be employed , having a rubber gas hose connected where it can get hot and catch fire is not "common sense" not even close to it. In fact it is exactly comparable to bodgy element wiring

No mate, electricity is far from risk free but when professionally set up it has less "potential" hazards than gas.
Yes, gas can be made "reasonably" safe but it still has its inherent dangers.
Rumdrinker

equipment: Electric & HP gas Keg boilers. 4" pot still for stripping & rum, Bubbler in the making.....

Postby MacStill » Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:12 pm

Fuck gas
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Next

Return to Safety Discussion