Re: Stainless Steel Kegs as boilers

Discuss safety issues here.

Postby Icarus » Tue Dec 27, 2011 9:36 pm

Just a word of caution about heating SS kegs heated with direct flames such as LPG burners and other fuels such as wood.

Kegs and the SS alloy used were deigned for Beer storage and freighting it, not for use as a boiler.

If the SS is overheated, it can severly affect the metal, especially the base ring of a keg. Never let the base ring get too hot. Continual over heating may cause what is called granular corrosion at the weld boundaries where the base ring is welded to the body of the keg, as well as destroying or severly reducing the corrosion resistance of the heat affected metal in the base ring.

If the base ring has a deep blue colour where flames have been impinging on it, it has been overheated.

Cheers, Icarus
Icarus

equipment: Various

Postby Sam. » Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:21 pm

I have seen some pretty serious heat thrown at the bottom of 50L kegs to the point where the whole bottom is glowing red hot and nothing bad has happened.

I'm sure there are a lot of people using the BD747 for kegs as well without any problems.......
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby MacStill » Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:27 pm

I've been burning the fuck out of the one I have for the best part of 2 yrs, the outside is black however the inside (when I scrape the funk off) is still shiny as new :mrgreen:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby R-sole » Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:04 am

They should never get much hotter than the liquid inside them, it's when you boil them dry (like i did with my pressure cooker keg) that you need be concerned.
R-sole

equipment: Keg based pot stiller. 3" vm for occasionally making product for macerations and redistillation.

Return to Safety Discussion