Warning "lead free solder"

Discuss safety issues here.

Warning "lead free solder"

Postby Boardy62 » Tue Mar 22, 2016 9:51 am

Hi all I am raising awareness of an issue that I missed after reading over the last year or two lots of information about our great hobby.
All the reading however did not help me when it came to making my parrot and racking cane recently because I did not remember reading " don't use lead solder" I just said get the stuff copper a plumbers solder stick and flux I had left over for years and off I went. Then I read and it registered in my brain use "silver substituted soft solder" so I have now had a good look through the forum and noticed that maybe as a suggestion more flags to the warning for us more dense citizens may be good especially in the newbies section the soft solder tutorial has no! mention of it.
And as I have made my parrot and racking cane with what I presume was lead solder "I will have to get a test kit"
As these are not heated up to high temps will I grow two heads and have to move to Tasmania :-D or will I get away with it
Boardy62

equipment: FSD Neutraliser, two 2400w elements, gin caddy,100 ltr boiler
T500 reflux still and boiler,
pure distilling pot still head
power controller
Parrot and racking cane

Re: Warning "lead free solder"

Postby mark-gabb » Tue Mar 22, 2016 10:03 am

also in a mac thread i was reading earlier there was a post about lead free solder too...some of it isnt safe either

http://www.aussiedistiller.com.au/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=1237&start=40#p15648

as there is another chemical that isnt safe either (antimony)
mark-gabb

equipment: T500 turbo reflux still

Postby Boardy62 » Tue Mar 22, 2016 10:22 am

Yeah I remember reading that as well I suppose the the more often the warnings are repeated the better
Boardy62

power controller
Parrot and racking cane

Postby scythe » Tue Mar 22, 2016 12:19 pm

Search aquasafe100, it is mentioned by name lots of times.
Dont trust "lead free" as it just means very low lead.
scythe

equipment: Dreaming of a 4" bubbler

Postby WRTom » Tue Mar 22, 2016 6:33 pm

theres a good doco on YouTube about how a lot of the mystery surrounding the Caribbean from the old buccaneering days with nelson and all them and why the placed seemed cursed was from a freak storm uncovering a bunch of skeletons on one of the tropical beaches. After scrutiny by a local archeological unit from the local uni, it was determined the vast quantities of rum rationed to each man from the local stills which were lead soldered was potentially the likely cause of death for many who were deployed. Interesting story whether it's true or not? Would I chance it? Nah
WRTom

equipment: turbo 500 column and boiler

Postby rumdidlydum » Tue Mar 22, 2016 7:20 pm

Boardy62 wrote:Hi all I am raising awareness of an issue that I missed after reading over the last year or two lots of information about our great hobby.
All the reading however did not help me when it came to making my parrot and racking cane recently because I did not remember reading " don't use lead solder" I just said get the stuff copper a plumbers solder stick and flux I had left over for years and off I went. Then I read and it registered in my brain use "silver substituted soft solder" so I have now had a good look through the forum and noticed that maybe as a suggestion more flags to the warning for us more dense citizens may be good especially in the newbies section the soft solder tutorial has no! mention of it.
And as I have made my parrot and racking cane with what I presume was lead solder "I will have to get a test kit"
As these are not heated up to high temps will I grow two heads and have to move to Tasmania :-D or will I get away with it

Its unfortunate that you have built gear with lead solder. But lead free solder is mentioned in so many threads. Its right up their with plastics and alcohol.
Either way i have taken your input onboard and will move this thread to the safety discussion area.
Cheers
Rum
rumdidlydum

equipment: The infamous Illuminated chicken leg boiler, Rum glass and other bits and bobs

Postby Boardy62 » Tue Mar 22, 2016 7:59 pm

rumdidlydum wrote:
Boardy62 wrote:Hi all I am raising awareness of an issue that I missed after reading over the last year or two lots of information about our great hobby.

Its unfortunate that you have built gear with lead solder. But lead free solder is mentioned in so many threads. Its right up their with plastics and alcohol.
Either way i have taken your input onboard and will move this thread to the safety discussion area.
Cheers
Rum

Rumdidlydum my raising the issue was because myself being a bit thick :O),I have read all this stuff over time but when it came to do it bought stuff and used it 'my fault'.
I was only suggesting that say the soft solder tutorial in beginners section that newbies do go to might be great to have a disclaimer at the beginning of it to drum it in that it is (lead free, no antinonym added solder is to be used from a reputable supplier) that's all mate
Boardy62

power controller
Parrot and racking cane

Return to Safety Discussion