Regarding safe storage of Foreshots.

Discuss safety issues here.

Regarding safe storage of Foreshots.

Postby the Doctor » Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:34 pm

I wanted to post a suggestion for all members who keep their foreshots and early heads to use for cleaning, alcohol stoves etc...we have been colouring ours with blue food colouring like they do with metho, It only takes 6 drops of colouring in 20 litres and it may prevent and un-intentioned death such as happened recently in Queensland... Cheap insurance I think, Cheers.
Doc
the Doctor

equipment: 6 plate bubble cap, grain brewery

Re: Regarding safe storage of Foreshots.

Postby EziTasting » Tue Jun 14, 2016 10:04 pm

Not a bad idea, but, for me at this stage of my journey, I dump it down the dunny! for now, thats the safest :laughing-rolling:

But I haven't yet had any stored when I needed it, and when I didn't need it, its been sitting around in grungy jars... to be flushed.
EziTasting

equipment: Newbie - Keg Boiler & 4" 4 plate glasser

Postby wynnum1 » Wed Jun 15, 2016 5:09 am

Keep it in labeled containers that you would not want to drink from plastic and steel that is how metho is packaged .
wynnum1

Postby Sam. » Wed Jun 15, 2016 7:13 am

That is a good idea Doc.

I am still however extremely dubious that case in QLD was related to home distilling, would love to see an in depth article or even the court records from it. :-B
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby Doubleuj » Wed Jun 15, 2016 7:32 am

I keep mine in an actual old metho bottle, child proof lid
Doubleuj
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" stainless glasser

Postby Zak Griffin » Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:27 am

I keep mine in a metho bottle too...
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

equipment: "The Heart of Gold" - 4" Bubbler - finally bubbling!
"Zaphod" - 3" Pot - retired
"Agrajag" - 6" Bubbler - midlife crisis build?

Postby WTDist » Wed Jun 15, 2016 11:08 am

i store mine in the S trap under the sink :))
WTDist

equipment: Building a 4" bubbler with 8" glass thumper

Postby moonshinindawg » Wed Jun 15, 2016 12:22 pm

Industrial Methanol......... there is no case
moonshinindawg

equipment: Offset Valved Reflux

Postby Sam. » Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:04 pm

moonshinindawg wrote:Image

Industrial Methanol......... there is no case

:text-thankyoublue:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.

Postby tipsy » Thu Jun 16, 2016 1:10 pm

That makes sense.

What a dickhead :angry-banghead:
tipsy

equipment: 4" Mac 4 with packed section and gin basket on a 50lt boiler with 2 2400w FSD elements.

Postby Darwin award » Thu Jun 16, 2016 4:50 pm

It says he purchased methanol....did they drink purchased methanol or was it a product of his distillation? Either way my fores and heads go into a fuel container or straight onto the weeds......I know I can re run the heads, but I couldn't be bothered with that. What he did was indeed manslaughter via negligence.
Darwin award
Site Donor

equipment: Reflux still 1x store bought 1x home made copper 1 x eBay pot still....1 FSD Neutralizer set up and happy in it's new home

Postby WTDist » Thu Jun 16, 2016 4:53 pm

Did i see them say he kept his grog in plastic bottles?
WTDist

equipment: Building a 4" bubbler with 8" glass thumper

Postby Sam. » Thu Jun 16, 2016 5:11 pm

Darwin award wrote:It says he purchased methanol....did they drink purchased methanol or was it a product of his distillation? Either way my fores and heads go into a fuel container or straight onto the weeds......I know I can re run the heads, but I couldn't be bothered with that. What he did was indeed manslaughter via negligence.

He clearly had industrial methanol bought for biofuel.

This is what they drank.
Sam.
Lifetime Member

18 Gal boiler.

Postby Wobblyboot » Thu Jun 16, 2016 7:35 pm

He deserves everything he gets. Stupidity and laziness are not acceptable in this hobby!
Wobblyboot

equipment: 4" glass bubbler

Postby Roger » Thu Jun 16, 2016 9:24 pm

Old metho bottles with "fire starter" in thick black texta. Good child proof lids!!
Roger

equipment: Still Spirits T500 Reflux Condenser and Boiler.
2" pot still for stripping runs.
FSD Neutraliser with 50 litre milk can boiler and gin caddy.

Postby warramungas » Thu Jun 16, 2016 10:10 pm

Wobblyboot wrote:He deserves everything he gets. Stupidity and laziness are not acceptable in this hobby!

He got about a year and a half minimum in jail and a lifetime of regret for the death of one of his sons. While he was an idiot I wouldn't wish the loss of a child on anyone.
warramungas

equipment: 180 litre fermenter x 2
30 liter boiler
PDA-1
2" four plate modular bubbler
2" one meter long LM column
110 liter boiler with 25 liter (max) inline thumper
4" x 4 plate bubble cap still

Postby wynnum1 » Sun Jun 19, 2016 9:50 am

the Doctor wrote:I wanted to post a suggestion for all members who keep their foreshots and early heads to use for cleaning, alcohol stoves etc...we have been colouring ours with blue food colouring like they do with metho, It only takes 6 drops of colouring in 20 litres and it may prevent and un-intentioned death such as happened recently in Queensland... Cheap insurance I think, Cheers.
Doc

What are label requirements if you look at workplace safety there is lots of information and hard to find what is relevant an industry can create there own code of practice .
Model Code of Practice - Labelling of Workplace Hazardous Chemicals
http://www.safeworkaustralia.gov.au/sit ... /model-cop
wynnum1

Postby the Doctor » Sun Jun 19, 2016 10:08 am

wynnum1 wrote:
the Doctor wrote:I wanted to post a suggestion for all members who keep their foreshots and early heads to use for cleaning, alcohol stoves etc...we have been colouring ours with blue food colouring like they do with metho, It only takes 6 drops of colouring in 20 litres and it may prevent and un-intentioned death such as happened recently in Queensland... Cheap insurance I think, Cheers.
Doc

What are label requirements if you look at workplace safety there is lots of information and hard to find what is relevant an industry can create there own code of practice .

I don't know what the labelling requirements are. I am sure there are pertinent laws re labelling.In our distillery we make it very clear in signage and by marking storage vessels and dying the non potable spirit blue...that it is not for drinking.
Doc
the Doctor

equipment: 6 plate bubble cap, grain brewery

Postby jacobraven » Sun Jun 19, 2016 2:12 pm

the Doctor wrote:
wynnum1 wrote:
Doc

I don't know what the labelling requirements are. I am sure there are pertinent laws re labelling.In our distillery we make it very clear in signage and by marking storage vessels and dying the non potable spirit blue...that it is not for drinking.
Doc

Do you have to do like a batch testing or is that purely a cosmetic feature only if you wanted it down
jacobraven

equipment: 100 Litre Milk Can
Neutralizer
2 2400w

Postby rumdidlydum » Sun Jun 19, 2016 5:11 pm

jacobraven wrote:
the Doctor wrote:
wynnum1 wrote:
Doc

Doc

Do you have to do like a batch testing or is that purely a cosmetic feature only if you wanted it down

Not sure wha you are getting at jaco :think:
What I think Doc was meaning all his feints get die'd blue and kept in clearly marked containers and not used.
rumdidlydum

equipment: The infamous Illuminated chicken leg boiler, Rum glass and other bits and bobs

Next

Return to Safety Discussion