Electric Elements

Discuss safety issues here.

Electric Elements

Postby Glow » Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:30 pm

Just a word of warning on using the electric elements in the keg as a boiler.
When new and you put them in, also put a heap of silicone tape (heat proof) around the cable at the join that connects the cable to the element.
This help elimate the play in the cable when moving and washing the keg.
On one of mine, because of the play in the cable, melted the wires together.
Mind you it works better now I have fixed it than when it was new.
Its a bugger to fix as well as you need to remove the epoxy they put around the joins and redo the connections.
Glow

equipment: 2 x 30L Fermenters, 900mm x 100mm Bubbler Tower on a 50L Boiler

Re: Electric Elements

Postby maheel » Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:34 pm

do you mean this style ?

if yes i agree they need some extra support, i taped mine up with packing tape at the wire "entrance" to the element
maheel

Postby bradsgonetrekkin » Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:51 pm

Yep I had trouble with this type of element also. The electrical connections are crap and in my opinion the trouble starts when you have to pull the element through the hole in the keg. Then when you move your keg around, clean it etc there is more stress put on the cable. After around 10 or so runs the sheathing around the wires on mine cooked and the wiring burnt out. My tip for those starting out, go straight for a screw in style. If you cant fabricate or weld yourself get a mate who can to do it or pay a welder / engineering firm to weld on a ss BSP socket / half socket to the keg. You'll soon realise that you need a tap on the keg as well so bite the bullet and get both done at the same time. Then its a matter of getting the element and a sparkie to wire it up and a get a tap to screw in. Might cost a few more bucks up front but your boiler will be used A LOT in this game, so its worth getting it right and makes it easier / safer to use. ;)
bradsgonetrekkin

equipment: 18 gallon (80litre) ss keg boiler with 2400w and 1200w elements
65-50-35-19mm copper pot head/ stripper
2m high 65-50mm copper vapour management column with cross flow condensor head
630mm long 3/4 over 1/2 inch leibig and 32mm outer, 1/2 inch inner 'double barrel' interchangable condensors

Postby crustyo44 » Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:49 pm

Hi,
From memory I recall that these elements qre 2400 Watt. In my honest opinion they look flimsy and refuse to use them.
I had a proper screw-in element made up for $ 70.00 here in Brisbane. Professionally made and will last me for years to come.
Mind you, I don't use it a lot but it will see me out.
Regards,
Crusty.
crustyo44

equipment: small hobby reflux still

Return to Safety Discussion