Master cask

Discuss everything about oaking and aging here

Master cask

Postby markus » Sat Jul 19, 2014 7:58 pm

Was looking around at oak barrels and stumbled across this Master Cask mob.
Has anyone had dealings with them? Or can vouch for their quality?
Says they do 50 and 100 litre barrels made from ex bourbon barrels.
Ill try contact them and get some prices. :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Cheers Markus
markus

equipment: 4" FSD on keg
All copper pot still

Re: Master cask

Postby Sam. » Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:07 pm

Where are these blokes located? Did you get one? I did a google search and a few came up :think:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby markus » Wed Aug 20, 2014 5:16 pm

They are part of kelvin cooperage by the looks of it.
I spoke to a guy by the name of Darren very helpful. They are in WA or SA :doh:
Around $400 for a 50 litre job.
Havnt got one yet but Santa is hopefully bringing me one.
Will report back when it arrives

Cheers Markus.
markus

equipment: 4" FSD on keg
All copper pot still

Postby Brendan » Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:53 pm

If you want ex bourbon barrel go for it, but Roll Out The Barrel will make a new one in American or French oak for the same price, and toast/char it to your requirement :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Brendan

equipment: 4.99L Essential oil extractor

Postby kickarum » Thu Aug 21, 2014 5:04 am

Brendan wrote:If you want ex bourbon barrel go for it, but Roll Out The Barrel will make a new one in American or French oak for the same price, and toast/char it to your requirement :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Hi Brenden
I was at roll out the barrel a fortnight ago, I think it was you who posted the link, :text-thankyoublue: they are lovely people, the old girl there said to me,(so you're maken some of the good stuff are ya, good on ya why not). Scored a great deal on American oak off cuts, when I enquired the cooper made it clear he doesn't handle French oak apparently the importer is his opposition and has screwed him in the past both on price and quality.
Cheers Kicka
kickarum

equipment: Penny Copper pot still, 50L Keg/Boiler

Postby Yummyrum » Thu Aug 21, 2014 5:29 pm

Salty might clarify this but ....he told me he was there a few weeks ago too ( Roll out the Barrel ) and he spoke to the Cooper who said they don't toast ...only char
Yummyrum

equipment: Did use Still Spirits Reflux
Now use 50l Keg with Pot head for Rum and Neutral stripping runs on gas .
LM/VM head with 1m packed 2" on Still Spirits boiler for Neutrals.

Postby MacStill » Thu Aug 21, 2014 6:10 pm

I'd rather toast my own anyway :D
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby SBB » Thu Aug 21, 2014 6:45 pm

Yummyrum wrote:Salty might clarify this but ....he told me he was there a few weeks ago too ( Roll out the Barrel ) and he spoke to the Cooper who said they don't toast ...only char

Yummy I'm still kind of scratching my head trying to work out what he meant myself.
I asked the cooper if he thought a heavy toast would be best for Rum, Ive always though that would be best, but didn't tell him that, I just wanted to see what his opinion was. I was expecting him to say either medium toast or heavy toast....but thats not what happened.
His answer was charred. When I queried that and said something along the lines of " but wont that give it a smokey sort of Bourbon flavour" He said something along the lines of " thats what most of our customers use them for Bourbon type drinks, and most rum is aged in old bourbon Barrels anyway."
He never actually said they don't or wont toast, it just sort of seemed that way to me.
At the time I was there he was assembling some 25l kegs for a small commercial distillery that wanted to trial small batches of rum in them. They had specified the wine stain be left on the stave's.
They make great barrels , they are beautifully made with big thick staves and I'm sure they know their stuff,
He also made mention that the vats used by Bundaberg are not toasted or charred and are raw white American oak, something that you and I have suspected for some time now.
I have no doubt these blokes know there stuff, I'm just not sure they know what we want regarding toasting as hobby distillers.
As I said, still trying to figure out what he meant myself to some degree.
They let me walk around the factory and take a few photos which i told them I would post on the forum.
I will try and get around to doing that soon for those interested.
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby Yummyrum » Thu Aug 21, 2014 6:56 pm

MacStill wrote:I'd rather toast my own anyway :D

Your a brave man Mac ..if I just spent $400 on a 50 liter get I'd be too chicken :angry-extinguishflame: :angry-screaming:

@SBB

OK thanks for that ....and that's great confirmation about the Bundy vats too .Now I'm really keen to try some of their off cuts and have a go ...only been able to get raw American chips from HBS and its too fine .If I had $400 I might even get one of their barrels Raw .

Can't wait for your Pics :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Yummyrum

equipment: Did use Still Spirits Reflux
Now use 50l Keg with Pot head for Rum and Neutral stripping runs on gas .
LM/VM head with 1m packed 2" on Still Spirits boiler for Neutrals.

Postby MacStill » Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:08 pm

Yeah my stuff up yummy, for some reason I was thinking staves :angry-banghead:

I could've edited that to make you look like a dickhead but chose not too :laughing-rolling:

If they wont toast my rum barrel the way I want I simply wont buy it, I'm really getting close to pushing the button on that too as I have 50L of white rum that's well over a year old already & am saving up for either a 50L or 2 x 25 barrels.... nearly there, just gotta decide what way to go as I'm thinking of a solera system ;-)
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby wiifm » Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:31 pm

A solera system with 50s :handgestures-thumbupleft:
wiifm

equipment: 4 plate glasser using FSD bubble caps

Postby crow » Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:35 pm

you can get any size to any toast or char you want out of new or used timber. If one cooperage won't do it move on to another. There are more than half a dozen cooperages in SA and probably just as many back yarders, I would figure that other states would have a comparable number relative to their population or wine district production :-B
Edit
A solera system with 50s
that's what I do with my rum :handgestures-thumbupleft:
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby SBB » Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:06 pm

wiifm wrote:A solera system with 50s :handgestures-thumbupleft:

I like the way ya thinking Wiifm :handgestures-thumbupleft:
I can only afford one just for now ..but that is the aim
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby MacStill » Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:30 pm

I was going to go 2 x 25L to start then add a 50L as the new spirit barrel once I had enough to fill it ;-)
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby SBB » Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:50 pm

Thats a better way to go Mac, its what i was thinking of doing. But being the a tight arse I am its hard for me to justify buying the 25s when I can get a 50 for not much more cost wise. Still thinking on how I'm going to go about it. I think in reality a couple of 25s, one rum and one for whisky will win out. Then add a couple of 50s some time in the future. Its abit of an outlay $ wise.....but would complete my set up and pay for itself many times over in the future.
SBB
Lifetime Member

Postby Brendan » Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:28 pm

MacStill wrote:I was going to go 2 x 25L to start then add a 50L as the new spirit barrel once I had enough to fill it ;-)

If it helps make up your mind Mac, the 50's were only 50 odd bucks more from the 25L from memory. The 25L was $350 (plus $45 freight), and I think the 50L was $400... :think:

I bought the 25L though because I knew I'd never get 50L of anything :?
Brendan

equipment: 4.99L Essential oil extractor

Return to Oaking and Aging