Barrel size and ageing times

Discuss everything about oaking and aging here

Barrel size and ageing times

Postby vqstatesman » Tue Oct 28, 2014 7:44 pm

Hi Guys,

I know there is a shit load of topics about this already but I came across a nice little concise table on here a little while ago. Now I'm searching for it and can't seem to find it. From memory it seemed like it came from a legitimate source too. It went a little like this:

20L age for XX years
50L age for XX years
100L age for XX years
200L age for XX years

Don't suppose anyone knows which thread this is buried in? I have spend the last 20 mins searching but couldn't find it.
vqstatesman

equipment: 4" Bubbler
150L Pressurised Bain Marie with built in agitator
50L Milk Can Boiler for small runs (feints)
T500 boiler repurposed as oversized decanter
Grainfather in the corner collecting dust

Re: Barrel size and ageing times

Postby Brendan » Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:55 pm

Until then, I'll have a guess for you :-D

20L for 1-2 years
50L for 2-4 years
100L for 4-7 years
200L for 7-10 years

? :think:
Brendan

equipment: 4.99L Essential oil extractor

Postby res » Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:40 pm

This one maybe?
smallbarrels.jpg

:handgestures-thumbupleft:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
res

equipment: Custom 4", 5 plate FSD bubbler, 600mm packed section.
50lt keg boiler with 2x 2400w elements
5lt copper pot still

Postby halfbaked » Wed Oct 29, 2014 12:53 am

very nice chart.
halfbaked

equipment: still lookin

Postby CaptainRedBeard » Wed Oct 29, 2014 5:06 am

Is this chart a flavor profile? Eg: to get the flavor of a 1 year aged "spirit" in a 5L barrel would take ~3 months?
CaptainRedBeard

equipment: 2" SS Column Reflux Keg Still
2" Copper Pot Still w shotgun condenser
Kelvinator Fridge Fermenter

Postby Sam. » Wed Oct 29, 2014 5:55 am

CaptainRedBeard wrote:Is this chart a flavor profile? Eg: to get the flavor of a 1 year aged "spirit" in a 5L barrel would take ~3 months?

In theory yes..... But it won't taste the same ;-)

There are a few ways to try and beat time but it isn't the same. Time always wins
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby CaptainRedBeard » Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:20 am

Awesome, thanks for the clarification Sam. I was looking at grabbing a few smaller barrels (5/10/20L) and didn't realize that the ageing process was different due to surface area to volume ratio. Good piece of info this is though :handgestures-thumbupleft:
CaptainRedBeard

equipment: 2" SS Column Reflux Keg Still
2" Copper Pot Still w shotgun condenser
Kelvinator Fridge Fermenter

Postby Sam. » Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:45 am

Yeah mate I wouldn't go anything smaller than 20L :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.

Postby Brendan » Wed Oct 29, 2014 11:12 am

Sam. wrote:Yeah mate I wouldn't go anything smaller than 20L :handgestures-thumbupleft:

:text-+1: It's been said by many before that smaller than 20L is not worth it. I guess I'm sticking with that as I have 12L ageing jars, and a 25L barrel.
Brendan

Postby vqstatesman » Thu Oct 30, 2014 2:05 pm

res wrote:This one maybe?
smallbarrels.jpg

:handgestures-thumbupleft:

Thanks for all the responses guys. This wasn't the table I had seen before but near enough. The other table has info on suggested aging time. To be honest it wasn't a full on "table" but more of a free form that covered comment sized barrels.

I'm not planning on buying anything smaller than 20L, there doesn't seem any point. I'm still a little sure how long to age a 30, 40 or 50L barrel.

Is there a calculator somewhere?
vqstatesman

equipment: 4" Bubbler
150L Pressurised Bain Marie with built in agitator
50L Milk Can Boiler for small runs (feints)
T500 boiler repurposed as oversized decanter
Grainfather in the corner collecting dust

Postby woodduck » Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:23 pm

Hey guys, I've got a pretty nice wine barrel here. It's the standard size 150-200 ltrs and I'd like to do something with it.

Now I'm not thinking of filling it anytime soon but is there any reason after cleaning the wine off and retoasting, that i couldn't fill it with some already partly oaked spirit to quicken up the process? Also is there any problem with having it partly filled? Could i have it half full and top it up as i take some off to drink every now and then? Use it as a sort of bulk storage, plus it would be cool to drink booze out of a keg :))
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Postby Brendan » Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:04 pm

From what I've heard Woody, if you're not going to have it full, you need to rotate it. I think it's something to do with the unused top half drying out and the barrel can crack...but then maybe you could overoak your spirit too :think:
Brendan

Postby Sam. » Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:20 pm

woodduck wrote:Hey guys, I've got a pretty nice wine barrel here. It's the standard size 150-200 ltrs and I'd like to do something with it.

Now I'm not thinking of filling it anytime soon but is there any reason after cleaning the wine off and retoasting, that i couldn't fill it with some already partly oaked spirit to quicken up the process? Also is there any problem with having it partly filled? Could i have it half full and top it up as i take some off to drink every now and then? Use it as a sort of bulk storage, plus it would be cool to drink booze out of a keg :))

Mate, a wine barrel that big is not really the way to go. Even if you think you can fill it (which will take a fucking long time) it might not be what you want after your 15 years of aging.

Better off getting a barrel from a reputable company that is more like 20 - 50 Litres.

It has been mentioned a few time before that people want to fill a 200L barrel but it never comes to fruition. I struggle to fill a 25L barrel.

Also, do you want all your eggs in one basket that you need to wait years for to fiind out it's shit?

Sorry to piss on your parade but there is a reason that people here have smaller barrels or use glass demi's :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

18 Gal boiler.

Postby Urrazeb » Fri Oct 31, 2014 8:27 am

I'd be cutting her up and using as french oak sticks :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Or, if you get a recipe that is a winner after ageing then crank it out and fill it, yeah it'll take a while but in that time you can look for an old sherry/port cask and finish the spirit there, you can always blend it if unhappy with the product.

I made some oat whiskey that I thought was shit, it's coming up at about 5-6 months now and I had a tipple last week, it's improved greatly. Still not where I want it but when blended 20-30% into a BKO or UJ it comes into it's own.

The big guys use large barrels, but as Sam said, not really practical for our use as 2.5LPH is gonna take a lot of runs to get it full of hearts.
Urrazeb

equipment: Column & pot

Return to Oaking and Aging