Jack Daniels and Jim Beam barrel chips

Discuss everything about oaking and aging here

Jack Daniels and Jim Beam barrel chips

Postby horangi351 » Fri Jul 03, 2015 8:07 am

Hi,

I've been using the JD and Jim Beam barrel chips product by Spirits Unlimited to flavour my spirits.
Adding 15 grams per litre and leaving to soak for one month. The taste of the finished product is great, I'm amazed at the flavour, smell and taste it gives.

On the chip packet it says to only leave to soak for 10 days and then add Gold Medal Hoggers Whiskey or Bourbon flavour for a superb finish.

My question is, has anyone used this flavour on the finished product or any other essence at the end of the soaking period?

Thanks
horangi351

equipment: Euro reflux still

Re: Jack Daniels and Jim Beam barrel chips

Postby Teddysad » Fri Jul 03, 2015 8:17 am

It all depends on what recipe you are using.
If you are making (gasp) a turbo wash, those essences will cover up some of the nasty taste.
Otherwise by using a good wash recipe the essence is a waste of time
Teddysad

equipment: FSD 4"SSG with packed column 50l Boiler keg. Alex 25 for smaller scale runs

Postby horangi351 » Fri Jul 03, 2015 9:53 am

I'm guessing when you say Turbo wash you are referring to the Turbo yeasts you can get?
If so, I use the super gold yeast and in my opinion makes a good wash.
I don't use the turbo 48 hour yeasts as I don't like the look of the wash or all the sediment that it leaves after it settles.

What yeast do you suggest?

Thanks for the reply.
horangi351

Postby Zak Griffin » Fri Jul 03, 2015 10:08 am

Try a TPW mate :handgestures-thumbupleft: http://aussiedistiller.com.au/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=6167

That, along with good cuts, will produce a better neutral than you know is possible at the moment ;-)
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

equipment: "The Heart of Gold" - 4" Bubbler - finally bubbling!
"Zaphod" - 3" Pot - retired
"Agrajag" - 6" Bubbler - midlife crisis build?

Postby horangi351 » Fri Jul 03, 2015 7:43 pm

Cheers for the reply, I'll definitely be trying the TPW.
horangi351

Postby jimmyjamjars » Fri Jul 10, 2015 4:28 pm

hey there sounds like you like drinkin the same stuff as me, i did 2 turbo washes when i first got my t500 and thank god i found this forum as its tomato paste washes all the way, not sure about the flavour compared to turbos but once you start getting the cuts right the end product is SOOO much more neutral and the tpws save ya so much money and smells better while its fermenting.

As to the chips question, i use the same jd chips putting 15g per L and i tried adding the essence but me and the missus just hate the taste, no matter how little i put in it just adds a sickly "fake" taste to it so now its just get those cuts right and soak on the 15g chips as long as ya can, ive found even after a week its nice as with coke, im starting to believe all these guys around here carrying on about cuts,cuts,cuts! Tails are the thing that ruined my first few batches, cant STAND that taste :puke-huge:
jimmyjamjars

equipment: Turbo500

Postby valkorum » Thu Jul 16, 2015 10:13 am

* The JD chips are fantastic by themselves. No essence required.
* I am personally not a fan of JB chips - too sweet for my liking.
* The rum chips definitely taste better after adding the essence.

(All of these are done using TPW wash that has been stripped through a pot still and then run through a reflux still)
valkorum

equipment: 5 Star 4" Pot. Still need to find funds to buy bubble plates

Postby WTDist » Thu Jul 16, 2015 11:51 am

Ive tried them on their own and i wasnt a fan although Ive gone through a lot of these jim bean and JD chips over the time I added scrub turkey essence but not everyone's taste is the same.
When i aged them i was on Turdbo though and i was doing it at 43%. Silly me i hadnt found this forum at that stage. May have had a much better taste than what i was achieving. Although when i was buying the oak chips and staves i found the staves tasted much much better than the chips although the price difference was so poor (still using Turbo here). 100 grams of staves for $9 and they say to use 50 grams per L or sumthin? Still spirits that was...

BTW, With the staves, if you want some FSD has 1kg which is $18 which is 10x cheaper than the HBS and better
WTDist

equipment: Building a 4" bubbler with 8" glass thumper

Postby horangi351 » Sat Jul 18, 2015 8:52 am

Cheers for all the replies guys. I've had a few friends taste the whiskey and bourbon I make from the chips and they all like it.
Will definitely be doing a TPW over the next few weeks / months.
Can't wait to taste the spirit...
horangi351

Return to Oaking and Aging