Port/ sherry keg experience

Discuss everything about oaking and aging here

Port/ sherry keg experience

Postby Boardy62 » Mon Nov 21, 2016 4:20 pm

image.jpeg
Several years ago I was offered a keg off a mate for $30 of coulee I said yes thank, so I took about to flinging the best way to get it ready to use, so it smelled of port to some fortified having been in it. So of course it leaked I flushed it out with water a few times (got hose in and gave it a good spray ) then I soaked in a tub of water for a week or so flushed and cleaned again still leaked!
A hot water dunk was then done hot out of kitchen tap and left another week did the trick only had a slow drip so filled with warm water on its stand and another week it had sealed up ok.

Then the fun part I added extra oak chips probably 100 grams (5 litre keg) and then the spirit at 90%abv.

Now you do lose a lot to the Angels I can't tell how much you just have to keep topping it up regularly but if I was to guess I reckon I lost half a litre a month in summer ;-) in the five years it has been filled numerous times and what has come out of it is nothing short of amazing :happy-partydance: my missus loves it and I taste it every now and then it is an on rocks drink and I like my coke? So I don't get to hook in much, but it is very smooth it is still carrying over slightly its port days in the taste but is a very accomplished drink well worthy of a few high fives from mates who appreciate straight likker.

My experience having done nothing over this time I think it has got a few years left in it :obscene-drinkingdrunk:

You can see in the photo the swirl line is thick and solid ( I just found it is called the legs because of the lines it makes down the glass the higher the alcohol % age the thicker it is the higher ABV this keg is currently sitting at 50%ABV not as high as I thought :doh:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Boardy62

equipment: FSD Neutraliser, two 2400w elements, gin caddy,100 ltr boiler
T500 reflux still and boiler,
pure distilling pot still head
power controller
Parrot and racking cane

Re: Port/ sherry keg experience

Postby bluc » Mon Nov 21, 2016 6:37 pm

Looks like a good drop gunna get 2x 20l ones. One for rum one for whiskey. Prob loose more than glass bottles but love the look of oak barrels :handgestures-thumbupleft:
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby Boardy62 » Mon Nov 21, 2016 7:20 pm

Yep bluc I have a 10 litre that has been waiting to get a Guernsey I will have enough rum next run to fill it that will bring my private rum :happy-partydance: can't wait to get some age on it
Boardy62

power controller
Parrot and racking cane

Postby TasSpirits » Mon Nov 21, 2016 7:26 pm

What was the spirit you put in at 90%?
TasSpirits

equipment: Some FSD Gear as well as some home-made

Postby Boardy62 » Mon Nov 21, 2016 7:32 pm

Originally back then I only had turbo wash, it then would have been TPW and now WBKO I now put it in at 70% ABV by the time you drink have a go at it the Angels have taken the edge off it :handgestures-thumbupleft:
As I said at 50% it is very smooth
Boardy62

power controller
Parrot and racking cane

Postby coffe addict » Tue Nov 22, 2016 8:53 pm

Barrels are great, no need to flush after port just use the first fill as a blending spirit as it will be strong on the port.

If a barrel is dried out try tapping the bands on tighter before soaking in warm water it'll save a bit of time.
coffe addict

equipment: 18 gal keg boiler on its side on wheel's with fill port, 1in drain and 2x2.4kw elements
4in 5 plate modular blockhead with optional infusion basket

Return to Oaking and Aging