Identifying different oaks

Discuss everything about oaking and aging here

Identifying different oaks

Postby ThePaterPiper » Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:39 pm

I just got my hands on some offcuts of old wine barrels and was wondering if there is a way to tell the difference between French and American oak. They are stave sections as below.

upload image sites

Some of them have very clean straight grain, others have a marbled kind of grain, the marbled grain is noticeably heavier too.

Thanks
ThePaterPiper

equipment: 50L Pot Still with two inch column into a 700mm Liebig. Also have a 19l thumper interchangeable into the setup.

Re: Identifying different oaks

Postby bluc » Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:51 pm

No idea but would be interested to know also :handgestures-thumbupleft:
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby Professor Green » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:00 pm

Put them in a bucket of water with a hand gun at one end and white flag at the other. The ones that float towards the handgun are American...

Cheers,
Prof. Green.
Professor Green

equipment: FSD 100 litre milk can with 2 x 2400W elements
FSD Neutraliser
FSD Carter Head
12 litre double boiler with 2400W element

Postby orcy » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:09 pm

Grain pattern – European Oak tends to have a distinctive, wavy grain pattern with scatterings of pip and burr. American Oak tends to have a straighter, subtle grain pattern.

Found this somewhere on the internet. Not sure if it helps cause i assume barrel timber is specially selected so not actualltly that "average" for the species used
orcy

equipment: Old style T500 style still. honestly, I dont even remember who made it anymore
4 inch soon to be modular pot.

Postby Sam. » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:30 pm

Professor Green wrote:Put them in a bucket of water with a hand gun at one end and white flag at the other. The ones that float towards the handgun are American...

Cheers,
Prof. Green.

Or if one smells like cheese.....

On a serious not I believe that french is meant to have a tighter grain? How you eye ball that someone with more experience would have to chime in.
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby ThePaterPiper » Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:21 pm

Professor Green wrote:Put them in a bucket of water with a hand gun at one end and white flag at the other. The ones that float towards the handgun are American...

Cheers,
Prof. Green.

I tried it and it works, although the French moved to the white flag faster! :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:
ThePaterPiper

equipment: 50L Pot Still with two inch column into a 700mm Liebig. Also have a 19l thumper interchangeable into the setup.

Postby bluc » Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:26 pm

Sam. wrote:

Cheers,
Prof. Green.

Or if one smells like cheese.....

On a serious not I believe that french is meant to have a tighter grain? How you eye ball that someone with more experience would have to chime in.

Interesting i find french colours and flavours faster i thought it was a looser grain :-B
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Return to Oaking and Aging