Single barrel solera rum aging

Discuss everything about oaking and aging here

Single barrel solera rum aging

Postby orcy » Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:44 pm

Im thinking about trying a single barrel solera. Ive got my hands on a brand new 30L french medium toast barrel. I have enough rum to fill it at about 63 to 65 percent abv. Im thinking age the first 30L until im happy with it as a young rum, then take off 1/3rd or so for bottling and refill with new rum and continue aging. In this way i always have a bottle of nice rum in the cupboard, and only have to futz around with making rum every 8 to 12 months.

Has anyone done/do this?
orcy

equipment: Old style T500 style still. honestly, I dont even remember who made it anymore
4 inch soon to be modular pot.

Re: Single barrel solera rum aging

Postby bluc » Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:26 pm

Yes will work great... unless your like me and get thirsty.. :laughing-rolling:
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby EziTasting » Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:29 pm

orcy wrote:Im thinking about trying a single barrel solera. Ive got my hands on a brand new 30L french medium toast barrel. I have enough rum to fill it at about 63 to 65 percent abv. Im thinking age the first 30L until im happy with it as a young rum, then take off 1/3rd or so for bottling and refill with new rum and continue aging. In this way i always have a bottle of nice rum in the cupboard, and only have to futz around with making rum every 8 to 12 months.
Has anyone done/do this?

Love this idea - don't have a 30L but want to do something similar with my 3L ( 8-} :laughing-rolling: ) barrel! I know its small fries compared to you but the theory is sound as it should provide continuity! Trouble is, most here don't seem to be able to collect and mature too much initially so good luck on that...

orcy wrote:Im thinking age the first 30L until im happy with it as a young rum

Question:- why only till it is a "young" rum?!?!

The Solera method is for creating a consistent good or even excellent drop... why not wait until it is better than a young rum!?!?
EziTasting

equipment: Newbie - Keg Boiler & 4" 4 plate glasser

Postby bluc » Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:33 pm

Thirst :laughing-rolling: :teasing-tease:
bluc
Site Donor

Postby Sam. » Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:36 pm

I don't think you can do a true solera method with one barrel.

Two would be the minimum, three being better and so forth.

Even Wiki knows about it and I think some that use it the most are the sherry manufactures from oloroso https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solera

Simply put I don't think you can call emptying half a single barrel then refilling it and waiting a solera method :-B
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby bluc » Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:42 pm

I wouldnt pull out more than 4l and replace whatever you take out...
bluc
Site Donor

Postby Sam. » Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:49 pm

bluc wrote:I wouldnt pull out more than 4l and replace whatever you take out...

I get what your saying but you can't call it "solera" with a single barrel :handgestures-thumbdown:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.

Postby bluc » Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:55 pm

:text-+1: but its same principal. The majority governs the minority.. of spirit..
bluc
Site Donor

Postby EziTasting » Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:59 pm

Sam. wrote:
I get what your saying but you can't call it "solera" with a single barrel :handgestures-thumbdown:

Sad-sack.

I think the point is "What" he's trying to achieve or do, not necessarily that he's following the exact method... C'mon, throw him a bone! :teasing-neener:

If we're going to be that legalistic then we'll have to reclassify all of our fluids as well...

Boy, must have a bee in my bonnet about something tonight ... :obscene-birdiedoublered:
EziTasting

Postby Sam. » Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:02 pm

I am not saying it's a bad concept of refilling a barrel and ageing for longer.

But if your going to say "solera" you will have a lot of pissed of sherry makers saying you can not do it with a single barrel :-B
Sam.
Lifetime Member

18 Gal boiler.

Postby crow » Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:13 pm

As stated that method is not a solera system and will not necessarily result in a consistent product but it will very likely result in a very good product. It is in fact how I age my rum, that is I have a 50 litre barrel which I draw off of and add new make rum to. I've done this since 2012 in the same barrel and it has slowly got better and better gradually taking on the characteristics of a well aged rum but it is not medium term consistent which a properly maintained solera would provide.
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby crow » Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:53 pm

OK re-reading all the responses and Sam's replies I see where guys are going with it and Sam's point. It is a little more than just semantics when you consider the aims of the process verses the result. Fractional blending results in not only a constant aging but a pretty consistent one that can only change very gradually over a very long period so as to give the appearance of being consistent where as a reciprocational system will gradually continue to age but will not remain consistent. The reason is its not a maintained fractional blending as you will be continually adding new make at what ever rate you draw off or in my case even that tends to fluctuate. One thing it will do that is not unlike a solera system is maintain and ever reducing percentage of the original and constantly aging spirit and that will in time make a drink that is out of this world fine.
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby Stonemaker1 » Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:45 am

crow wrote:As stated that method is not a solera system and will not necessarily result in a consistent product but it will very likely result in a very good product. It is in fact how I age my rum, that is I have a 50 litre barrel which I draw off of and add new make rum to. I've done this since 2012 in the same barrel and it has slowly got better and better gradually taking on the characteristics of a well aged rum but it is not medium term consistent which a properly maintained solera would provide.

I have started the same technique as you with UJ and hoping I get good results over time. I do plan to let the barrel rest for 18months before I draw my first part out for drinking. As the fellas have pointed out it may not be a true solera system but it's close for the hobbiest having fun under the house.
My endgame is to enjoy myself not stress myself out with technicalities. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Stonemaker1

equipment: 50 litre pot still

Postby EziTasting » Sat Oct 21, 2017 10:08 am

Really good info, thank you.

I was going to do this, too because I knew it would take me some time to collect the barrels required to do this properly...
EziTasting

Postby woodduck » Sat Oct 21, 2017 10:59 am

Just remember that these smaller barrels age fairly quick to start with. I've got a 20ltr and the first lot I put in there was only in for a few months. They do get slower the more you use them. The second batch was about 8 months the third 12 months and this last batch was 18 months and really not colored enough but I'd run out of stock so it had to come out. It might be time for a revamp I think. But I guess all barrels are different and this is just my observation. What I'm trying to get at is, keep an eye on it don't just whack it in and forget it for 18 months or you may find It's gone too far.

I've often thought about doing this type of thing and recon I'll give it a shot from now on, if this lot ever ages that is :laughing-rolling:
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Postby crow » Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:13 am

Yeah WD that's how it goes but this gives you two options. One if you get another barrel the spent one becomes your end draw off barrel or you take a leaf out of the wine makers book and use the barrel for ullage and add sticks or chips for colour and oak flavour. Sticks threaded on jute string or a small SS trace will work.
crow

Postby bluc » Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:44 pm

woodduck wrote:Just remember that these smaller barrels age fairly quick to start with. I've got a 20ltr and the first lot I put in there was only in for a few months. They do get slower the more you use them. The second batch was about 8 months the third 12 months and this last batch was 18 months and really not colored enough but I'd run out of stock so it had to come out. It might be time for a revamp I think. But I guess all barrels are different and this is just my observation. What I'm trying to get at is, keep an eye on it don't just whack it in and forget it for 18 months or you may find It's gone too far.

I've often thought about doing this type of thing and recon I'll give it a shot from now on, if this lot ever ages that is :laughing-rolling:

You have only done 3 lots and the barrel is spent already?
bluc
Site Donor

Postby woodduck » Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:39 pm

I guess I shouldn't say it's spent but it is definitely taking longer every time. Maybe it wasn't charred enough although it was on fire for quite a while in the video they sent me :laughing-rolling:. It still flavours up nice just doesn't color as quick now.
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Postby bluc » Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:44 pm

Ok cool. My 25l barrel from comp with the corn whiskey smells just how I want it to taste. Look forward to it :handgestures-thumbupleft:
bluc
Site Donor

Postby woodduck » Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:54 pm

It will be bloody beautiful mate I can assure you of that :handgestures-thumbupleft:
woodduck
Lifetime Member

Next

Return to Oaking and Aging