ROTB Offcuts

Discuss everything about oaking and aging here

ROTB Offcuts

Postby RC Al » Sun Jun 10, 2018 6:33 pm

Ages ago I sent the better half into Roll out the Barrel for some oaky goodness, came back with a box of wood, sweet I thought.
Fast forward a few months (and heaps of research) I pull out my box to look at how im going to shape the bits up and well, crap
They are roughly 1/2 n 1/2 the 2 shapes pictured.
Thinking i should square up the left type pieces and forget about the fully semicircular bits as they are going to be all end grain the whole length?
oak1.jpg
oak2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
RC Al
Mentor

equipment: 3 plate 4" glasser
2" Potty

Re: ROTB Offcuts

Postby bluc » Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:12 pm

why would semi circle be end grain I would think it would be all side grain like the shape of the barrel. those stave would be running along the barrel not accross :-B
Last edited by bluc on Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby RC Al » Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:49 pm

Cut at an angle, the surface area of the end grain increases, a radius is even worse
Every thing I have read on shaping dominoes - sawing, splitting, cutting, routing - has said to keep it "square" on the ends to avoid exposing the end grain to reduce undesirable additions from the oak

All was the wrong word, but the end grain percentage is much higher
RC Al
Mentor

2" Potty

Postby Peregian » Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:12 pm

Been tempted to give this oak a try...................

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/mount-c ... 1120300267

Been seeing the adds on Gumtree for some considerable time but never pulled the trigger.

Have used the ROTB in the past with good results, cut to size using a band saw.
Peregian

equipment: Keg for boiler (element), Pot still head for stripping and a Nixon Stone offset head stainless still for spirit runs.

Postby db1979 » Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:07 pm

I had the same problem with the box I bought from rotb RC. I just found a few pieces that looked straighter than the rest, cut where needed to square them up and then used a small hatchet to spilt them on end until I was happy with the size. I've only made a few, still got most of the box sitting there.
db1979

equipment: Eve - 4" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (sieve plates), 330 mm packed section on a keg boiler with 2 x 2000 W elements.
Currently having a makeover: 2" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (1" bubble caps, no sight glasses...maybe not for much longer!) on a bain-marie boiler.

Postby Doubleuj » Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:07 pm

db1979 wrote:I had the same problem with the box I bought from rotb RC. I just found a few pieces that looked straighter than the rest, cut where needed to square them up and then used a small hatchet to spilt them on end until I was happy with the size. I've only made a few, still got most of the box sitting there.

:text-imwithstupid: :laughing-rolling: payback came quicker than I thought :teasing-neener:
But seriously, I did exactly what DB did with the exception that ive nearly used up my whole box :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Just try to limit the amount of end grain, you’re never going to avoid it totally
Doubleuj
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" stainless glasser

Postby The Stig » Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:42 am

I’ve got the same box and had the same “how-do-I-do-it?”
So I bought a Worx Bladerunner https://www.worx.com/bladerunner-portab ... x572l.html
Cuts the chunks into usable sticks nice and easy
The Stig
Site Nerd

equipment: Only the Best will Do.
Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby coffe addict » Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:48 am

I've had a cpl of the same boxes and found they work just great without cutting!
Just use more of the smaller pieces and less of the larger pieces for about the same amount of wood to liquid ratio.
coffe addict

equipment: 18 gal keg boiler on its side on wheel's with fill port, 1in drain and 2x2.4kw elements
4in 5 plate modular blockhead with optional infusion basket

Postby shortcut » Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:07 am

Hey dudes they don’t look toasted in any way. Is that how youse are using them? Or are you toasting them yourselves?
shortcut

equipment: Keggomax-CM
unfinished copper pot still

Postby Peregian » Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:20 am

shortcut wrote:Hey dudes they don’t look toasted in any way. Is that how youse are using them? Or are you toasting them yourselves?

The off-cuts from ROTB are not toasted. Oak barrels are toasted/charred after they are assembled and before the top and bottom are fixed in place.
Peregian

equipment: Keg for boiler (element), Pot still head for stripping and a Nixon Stone offset head stainless still for spirit runs.

Postby Doubleuj » Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:24 pm

shortcut wrote:Hey dudes they don’t look toasted in any way. Is that how youse are using them? Or are you toasting them yourselves?

I toast mine one the oven, wrapped up in foil then char over the bbq flame :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Ask Woodduck how he toasts his oak, (and gutter and house) 8-}
Doubleuj
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" stainless glasser

Postby woodduck » Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:59 pm

Yep I would definitely recommend watching them closely while toasting 8-} :laughing-rolling:
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Postby RC Al » Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:10 am

Thanks for the replies guy's

The JD chips are something I will try at a later date, by all accounts they seem to work well, got lots of other things I want to have a go at aging too, so some normal oak is in order

Going to have a go with a jigsaw, axe, chisel and a vibrating cutter, a scroll saw would be cool, but probably would be underutilized otherwise. $$ better spent on still bits at this point.

Will do a follow-up with pics soon, life bloody mundane life....
RC Al
Mentor

2" Potty

Return to Oaking and Aging