Teddys FFV on oak

Discuss everything about oaking and aging here

Teddys FFV on oak

Postby Boardy62 » Fri Nov 18, 2016 7:20 pm

image.jpeg
:teasing-tease: Ok I may be a bit over the top here, but I am a fan of Teddys FFV, I believe it does give a cleaner vodka (than tpw) with a slight "wheaty" taste which I think is a great starting base , I am still on training wheels for the bubbler and I have only done one bubbler run on the Teddys and the flavour carryover on the bubbler was too strong for me, I reckon it needed a double run ( I just ran a macrum one run and it felt much better and controlled and flavour is awesome ,so I am getting there quick)

the Teddys I had was run through the t500 in a spirit run came out at 94% and before moving house I thought I would test some on oak and I was surprised!
What I did;
Teddy's @ 94% spirit run through t500
4.5 litres spirit in demijohn
April 2016 put it away on 400gm French oak

94% is high but it was an experiment I wanted to do something different!

So I am running low on aged product and spotted it and thought I would give it a go, so I poured the usual measure in without checking ABV! and got walloped not badly but I new it was strong I copped a real sweet hit like vanilla, before it settled down while pouring more coke in to bring it back to normal anyway it wasn't terrible I would describe it as "scotchy" and sweet it lacked guts I think toasted may have helped it. I know the originator "teddysad" had tried oak and said he thought it wasn't worth it, but it is not anywhere near an aged Bwko, but I think it did make a drink that is worthy of putting coke in, anyway just thought I would let you know how it went :handgestures-thumbupleft:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by rumdidlydum on Fri Nov 18, 2016 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed emoji
Boardy62

equipment: FSD Neutraliser, two 2400w elements, gin caddy,100 ltr boiler
T500 reflux still and boiler,
pure distilling pot still head
power controller
Parrot and racking cane

Re: Teddys FFV on oak

Postby bluc » Fri Nov 18, 2016 8:27 pm

Sounds good but i think the idea is to make a drink you dont want to mix with coke or anything else except maybe some ice cubes :D :handgestures-thumbupleft:
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby Zak Griffin » Fri Nov 18, 2016 8:33 pm

Speak for yourself, bluc, I'm more than happy making spirits to mix with coke :happy-partydance:
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

equipment: "The Heart of Gold" - 4" Bubbler - finally bubbling!
"Zaphod" - 3" Pot - retired
"Agrajag" - 6" Bubbler - midlife crisis build?

Postby Boardy62 » Fri Nov 18, 2016 8:55 pm

Zak Griffin wrote:Speak for yourself, bluc, I'm more than happy making spirits to mix with coke :happy-partydance:

Same here I cannot drink straight or on ice no attraction whatsoever!( I would be skinny If I drank it straight) that just comes down to personal taste which all of us are different eh!
Boardy62

equipment: FSD Neutraliser, two 2400w elements, gin caddy,100 ltr boiler
T500 reflux still and boiler,
pure distilling pot still head
power controller
Parrot and racking cane

Postby dogbreath vodka » Sat Nov 19, 2016 6:23 am

Lots of information there Boardy!

I've not tried teddy's ffv. But it sounds like a winner. :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Everyone has an opinion on what they like over what others are doing.
I suspect it is more a case of having found methods and recipes they are happy with.
So they stick to those and refine their skills and knowledge of them.

It means there are lots of good ways and recipes that have been shared on this and other forums.
Glad to see you are on your way to a product you are happy with. :handgestures-thumbupleft:

For me distilling is a juggling act - depending on what you are making will decide what method is used.
A good clean vodka or neutral would be a low abv sugarhead on grain.
Run slowly through the still.
If needed run through twice, depending on the results from the first run and what you are using it for.
It strips flavour, leaving a clean product, almost flavourless.

If you are looking for flavour there are other recipes out there that would suit better.
More flavours left in the neutral or white dog or raw spirit or whatever you want to call it.
Some raw product with a less than nice taste at the beginning can make a really smooth and enjoyable whisky after 12 months or more on oak.

If you start with a fairly flavourless spirit and oak it for "x" months or years, you will get a nice drinkable product, that is superior to many commercial drinks.
But not as nice as one that has the flavours in the raw product and is built on by oaking and time.

Then there is all grain which I am told is better again for a whisky and any of the brown spirits.

It's a big hobby, full of information and experiments.
Hence the many opinions and preferences.

As for how you drink it, I'm with bluc - ice and water bring out the flavours, Coke masks them.
If you use lots of ice and a 65% spirit only the flavour changes as the spirit is watered down.
So you get many drinks in the one glass.

Happy experimenting!
dogbreath vodka

equipment: "Steampunk 2 - 6" Bubble cap
"Jimmy" the 4" Carter head

Postby Kenster » Sun Nov 20, 2016 6:32 pm

I am with Dog, and Bluc... my mate drinks Johnny Red (with coke)... to me it STILL tastes like petrol.
If we can strive to exceed shop bought ... as we can, why kill it with coke.
I love coke and would add it to a drink as a flavour, not to disguise.
This is my personal quest, even though i dont drink that much, i wish to produce something really good...eventually, she is a long road.
Kenster

equipment: Still Spirits... turbo 500...retired.(Boiler retained, added 3kw element with variable temp)
RPG...3''x1200mm LM/VM combo...400mm double wound coldie
3''x1200mm copper pot & shares leibig from combo.

Postby Zak Griffin » Sun Nov 20, 2016 6:49 pm

I use whiskey and rum to make coke taste better, not the other way around :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

equipment: "The Heart of Gold" - 4" Bubbler - finally bubbling!
"Zaphod" - 3" Pot - retired
"Agrajag" - 6" Bubbler - midlife crisis build?

Postby youngy » Sun Nov 20, 2016 8:24 pm

sam here :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :clap: :clap: :obscene-drinkingchug:
youngy

equipment: turbo 500 retired.
home made column still with home made graham condenser and parrot. retired
5SD Neutralizer bubbler, gas boiler ,100 litre 5S Boiler in the future

Return to Oaking and Aging