My barrel experiences

Discuss everything about oaking and aging here

Re: My barrel experiences

Postby coffe addict » Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:48 am

The humidity and temp play a part in evaporation rates and the contents of a barrel will want to stabilise at about 75%. As at75% the water and alcohol travel through the wood at the same rate.
Sounds like thirsty angels and part of the reason most people go for larger barrels.
coffe addict

equipment: 18 gal keg boiler on its side on wheel's with fill port, 1in drain and 2x2.4kw elements
4in 5 plate modular blockhead with optional infusion basket

Postby Aussiedownunder01 » Sun Apr 02, 2017 6:40 am

You would not loose booze if you stored on ss beer kegs with dominoes in it for oaking
Aussiedownunder01

Location: So close to melbourne airport you can hear the plains
equipment: 100 litre boiler with a 4 in 5 plate bubbler on top with a 500 packed section standing by if needed

Postby EziTasting » Sun Apr 02, 2017 1:13 pm

Mate of mine just started using barrels, lucky for him, his wife bought him these barrels. She also did all the research on/about and how to get the best out of these barrels; one point I found interesting is that, when it's humid (raining, etc) water tends to evaporate more than alcohol... so it is possible for the ABV to increase.
I don't know if it happens often, it's certainly the first time I've heard about it.
EziTasting

equipment: Newbie - Keg Boiler & 4" 4 plate glasser

Postby Psykamaholik » Sun Apr 02, 2017 4:22 pm

I have heard of gaining ABV while aging in a barrel, just couldn't remember the circumstances how to do it, I know the guy who bottles Heartwood single malt whisky does this with some of his releases.
Psykamaholik

equipment: Fusel express super reflux still

Previous

Return to Oaking and Aging