Silly aging question

Discuss everything about oaking and aging here

Silly aging question

Postby Sparrow » Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:30 pm

Gday all,

My plans for a still are coming along, catching up with my best mate tonight and going over a design. We've decided to do it together.

Any who, reading about aging and getting depth of flavour had been fascinating and it's also got mwater wondering.

For an average Joe like myself, affording oak barrels to age liquor might be a bit on the pricey side. As I understand putting it in jars with a stave will colour and impart flavour but won't "age" it properly as it needs to breathe.

It's got me to wondering could you for example have your whiskey in a jar with staves and then cover with a cloth rather than a lid to enable it to breathe?

I imagine you'd lose a bit to evaporation but is this potentially a way to replicate some of the processes of an oak barrel without actually having one? Or are there things I haven't considered that make it a poor idea?

Cheers,

Sparrow
Sparrow

equipment: 4 plate bubbler on a 50l keg boiler.

Re: Silly aging question

Postby EziTasting » Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:21 pm

G'Day Sparrow,

acing and flavouring is related and is done with relative ease, even without a barrel. Having said that, my partner in crime received a 3L barrel for Christmas and he put WBAB in there for 7.5 weeks and ^:)^ it is sooooooo good! I think it trumps the dominies!

But while on a budget, or starting out 5SD sell French and US dominos that can be used in jars (as long as there is NO seal in/on the lid) and you can then manage the time it stays like that until it reaches your taste profile...

Its so affordable, its not funny!
EziTasting

equipment: Newbie - Keg Boiler & 4" 4 plate glasser

Postby hillzabilly » Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:32 pm

:text-+1: With using dominoes from 5Star ,I use demijohns with silicone bungs with the standard fermenter air lock to allow breathing and ta keep dust bugs and shit out,has worked very well for me with a very slight loss over 3-6months from 5lt ta 25lt demi's.cheers hillzabilly :handgestures-thumbupleft:
hillzabilly

equipment: 10 gallon OZARK pot still ,2inch and 3inch Nixon Stone coloum stills ,10 and 18 gal beer keg boilers,5gal thumper keg.And the one and only 4" Five Star Southern Cross .

Postby Zak Griffin » Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:17 pm

IMG_0402.JPG

2L jar from woollies. Remove the seal, add spirit and dominoes, clamp a piece of paper towel in the lid.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

equipment: "The Heart of Gold" - 4" Bubbler - finally bubbling!
"Zaphod" - 3" Pot - retired
"Agrajag" - 6" Bubbler - midlife crisis build?

Postby prawnz » Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:23 pm

I'm doing the same as Zak (on his recomendation) .

I found I had to use a few more layers of p towel tho coz I was losing to much to the angels . Level dropped about 3mm in 6 days . Would have been to much sacrifice at that rate . Now with about 6 layers of towel its still breathing but not losing at the same rate .

Zak in that jar you have there is there like 1 dominoe in there ?
prawnz

equipment: SS Super Reflux with home made 2in 800mm packed extension with RC coil built in .

Postby Sparrow » Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:39 pm

Thanks lads,

Reckon I'll try zaks method thanks for that mate!
Sparrow

equipment: 4 plate bubbler on a 50l keg boiler.

Postby Kenster » Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:14 pm

Prawnz,... funny thing that... 3mm in 6 days.. what real volume are we talkin... SFA...is jt really significant... (half a nip? ) we make it DIRT cheap and bust our balls about the Angels... really??? it is fuck all over the scheme of things..we have this fear of the ANGELS ... they take SFA,, so LET THE ANGELAS do their shit... idont cap my cuts at all, i just leave them breathe... WTF.. if i lose 500ml???? No crime.
PS... this is not directed at any individual, however the vol we "WORRY" about is less than the shit we use for cleaner... PERSPECTIVE?
Kenster

equipment: Still Spirits... turbo 500...retired.(Boiler retained, added 3kw element with variable temp)
RPG...3''x1200mm LM/VM combo...400mm double wound coldie
3''x1200mm copper pot & shares leibig from combo.

Postby coffe addict » Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:27 pm

I use a range of different vessels and varying levels of seals. If I'm low on drinking stock I'm very tight on cuts and use a storage vessel that doesn't seal well. If I have heaps aging then I'll use more heads more tails and make sure the vessel has the top off once a month for a cpl days. The later takes a lot longer but produces a better drink.
Nothing beats barrels and as such I'm building up to a six month supply in jars waiting to go into the appropriate barrel.
coffe addict

equipment: 18 gal keg boiler on its side on wheel's with fill port, 1in drain and 2x2.4kw elements
4in 5 plate modular blockhead with optional infusion basket

Postby TasSpirits » Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:55 pm

I use Barrels and Glass bottles, with the glass bottles I use natural cork and find that they breathe quite well, losses are minimal. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
TasSpirits

equipment: Some FSD Gear as well as some home-made

Postby prawnz » Sun Mar 12, 2017 12:52 am

Kenster wrote:Prawnz,... funny thing that... 3mm in 6 days.. what real volume are we talkin... SFA...is jt really significant... (half a nip? ) we make it DIRT cheap and bust our balls about the Angels... really??? it is fuck all over the scheme of things..we have this fear of the ANGELS ... they take SFA,, so LET THE ANGELAS do their shit... idont cap my cuts at all, i just leave them breathe... WTF.. if i lose 500ml???? No crime.
PS... this is not directed at any individual, however the vol we "WORRY" about is less than the shit we use for cleaner... PERSPECTIVE?

Yeh fair enough . Agree , lose track sometimes , then someone makes a post like this and it all falls back into place :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Quality over quantity :handgestures-thumbupleft:
prawnz

equipment: SS Super Reflux with home made 2in 800mm packed extension with RC coil built in .

Postby Zak Griffin » Sun Mar 12, 2017 7:00 am

I usually run one domino split in half :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

Postby Plumby » Sun Mar 12, 2017 2:32 pm

Do you rechar with a blow torch zac or do you leave it as is?
I have been using one new domino and one used one for a week then after a week remove the used domino and leave the fresh one in there until its ready.
Plumby

equipment: 50 litre keg boiler with a 2200watt element and a 2 inch pot still called Shaniqua with a 32mm over 19mm 800mm long liebig condenser attached.

Postby Zak Griffin » Sun Mar 12, 2017 5:09 pm

These are uncharred, I might chuck a charred domino in one jar though now that you mention it.
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

Return to Oaking and Aging