Oak Barrel broken.

Discuss everything about oaking and aging here

Oak Barrel broken.

Postby Davis13 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:59 am

Hey, guys just wondering if any of you know anyone that is good with repairing oak barrels? I was given a barrel by my uncle (we were going to fix it up together) just before he passed a short while ago, so it has a fair bit of sentimental value to me. I watched a few youtube videos and decided to try clean it up and in doing so i have broken it. I am shattered to say the least:-( i am wondering if any of you know or may be able to assist in telling me if it can be fixed or is it definitely broken. any help would be great.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Davis13

equipment: In process of researching what still to purchase

Re: Oak Barrel broken.

Postby Minpac » Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:21 am

Hard to see exactly what's going on - the bindings are off, but I can't tell if that is a split mid stave or just the staves separating(in which case, no issue at all).

Given the location, I think as long as you can align it when the bindings go back on, it shouldn't cause any issues with the barrel.

What are you doing in the cleanup - did you refire it? I'm considering doing that to a second hand one I picked up -I was planning on numbering the stave edges and storing sideways in a bucket while just taking one end off (to keep the tension on.
Minpac

equipment: 2" pot, 2" VM

Postby hillzabilly » Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:32 am

I would try calling a mob called "Roll out the barrel",tell them the story and they may be able ta help.cheers hillzabilly :handgestures-thumbupleft:
hillzabilly

equipment: 10 gallon OZARK pot still ,2inch and 3inch Nixon Stone coloum stills ,10 and 18 gal beer keg boilers,5gal thumper keg.And the one and only 4" Five Star Southern Cross .

Postby Davis13 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:53 pm

Hey appreciate the replay guys :-) I have emailed roll out the barrel hopefully get a reply soon.it has broken where the joins are but it has taken a slight piece from the other stave. When I put it back together you can't even tell but i just don't know
Davis13

equipment: In process of researching what still to purchase

Postby bluess57 » Sat Mar 25, 2017 8:35 am

Looks like top of the barrel, fill hole in the picture.
Imo it will be fine as long as barrel is upright.
bluess57

equipment: keg boiler - 4" copper bubbler

Postby Minpac » Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:44 am

It'll be fine imho. If it was on the bottom, you'd have to re-swell and maybe do some extra work to get a nice fit, on top I think you'll be good to go, especially as you say you can't even tell where the crack was when together.
Minpac

equipment: 2" pot, 2" VM

Return to Oaking and Aging