Mould on dominoes.

Discuss everything about oaking and aging here

Mould on dominoes.

Postby Yase » Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:23 pm

Aging my first batch of mcwhisky and noticed some mouldy looking stuff on the domino. ABV is 63%, has been in there for 2 weeks now. There are 3 2L jars with, one with French oak only, 1 with French soaked in port from 2 weeks then dried before putting in, and 1 with American oak soaked in port as well.. the French only is fine but the 2 that were soaked in port are showing the same mouldy looking substance. Should I be worried? Wouldn't have thought much could grow at 63%. Dominoes purchased through 5star so should be good. See attached pic..
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Yase

equipment: 50L Boiler, 3600w, 2" pot still with shotgun condenser

Re: Mould on dominoes.

Postby Doubleuj » Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:27 pm

It can't be mould or anything organic growing at 63%, I'd say there's some sort of reaction going on that's causing some louching?
Honestly if it was mine, I'd shake it up and pretend I'd never seen it :whistle:
Doubleuj
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" stainless glasser

Postby Sam. » Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:30 pm

Looks like jellyfish, you will get this from oak sometimes. The port soak might have something to do with it, probably dragging it back out the oak now.

Nothing a filter at the end won't get out :handgestures-thumbupleft:

And yeah nothing will be living in it, if it is then it's pissed 24/7 anyway :laughing-rolling:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby Yase » Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:34 pm

Thanks guys for putting my mind at ease. Was not loving the thought of throwing away all the hard work especially as it's my first batch.
Yase

Postby Minpac » Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:50 am

Port can sometimes have a lot of tannin/organic sediment - maybe you picked some of that up during soaking?
Minpac

equipment: 2" pot, 2" VM

Postby copperhead road » Tue Mar 28, 2017 5:53 pm

I was not aware you could reuse them, is that something that people do often or are you better off using new oak blocks especially going from one type of alcohol to another?
For instance you would think rum soaked dominoes that were used again in whiskey you would get some flavours coming through.
copperhead road

equipment: Full industrial grade copper 25 gallon short can 4" pot with 10 gallon expansion chamber and gin basket, 3" Gatlon gun condenser (gas flame)

Postby TasSpirits » Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:25 pm

copperhead road wrote:I was not aware you could reuse them, is that something that people do often or are you better off using new oak blocks especially going from one type of alcohol to another?
For instance you would think rum soaked dominoes that were used again in whiskey you would get some flavours coming through.

Whisky aged on Dominoes that have been in Rum is one of my favourites so far, not a lot of spirits other than Bourbon are aged in new barrels. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
TasSpirits

equipment: Some FSD Gear as well as some home-made

Postby Yase » Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:25 pm

Trying to emulate aging in a used port cask as that is my favourite style of whisky. One day hope to find a cooper that can make a 20lt barrel for me out of an old port barrel without it costing an arm and a leg
Yase

Postby Sam. » Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:52 pm

Yase wrote:Trying to emulate aging in a used port cask as that is my favourite style of whisky. One day hope to find a cooper that can make a 20lt barrel for me out of an old port barrel without it costing an arm and a leg

If you have the time buy a barrel and put port in it for a couple of years :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Return to Oaking and Aging