Preparing soaked staves

Discuss everything about oaking and aging here

Preparing soaked staves

Postby Yase » Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:04 pm

Hey guys,

I'm currently soaking some of macs French oak medium dominoes in port to replace the unsoaked ones in my macwhisky at the moment. Working on a 3 month age period, 2 on non soaked and 1 on soaked in 2L jars with around 25g. Can anyone recommend how to prepare the dominoes after the soak? Just plonk them straight in, air dry for a few days or air dry and re char??

Dominoes will have been soaking for around 2 months.

Looking for quite a heavy port influence :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Yase

equipment: 50L Boiler, 3600w, 2" pot still with shotgun condenser

Re: Preparing soaked staves

Postby the Doctor » Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:54 pm

To speed up preparing oak dominos try vacuuming them into a food saver bag with a bit of sherry, port etc...the vacuum speeds up take up of the sherry et al to just a few days.
Doc
the Doctor

equipment: 6 plate bubble cap, grain brewery

Postby coffe addict » Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:00 pm

I've just shook excess off but I'm a touch lazy some say dry them I don't see the point.
coffe addict

equipment: 18 gal keg boiler on its side on wheel's with fill port, 1in drain and 2x2.4kw elements
4in 5 plate modular blockhead with optional infusion basket

Postby prawnz » Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:22 pm

the Doctor wrote:To speed up preparing oak dominos try vacuuming them into a food saver bag with a bit of sherry, port etc...the vacuum speeds up take up of the sherry et al to just a few days.
Doc

How would I stop the liquid getting sucked out in the vacseal process ?
prawnz

equipment: SS Super Reflux with home made 2in 800mm packed extension with RC coil built in .

Postby bluc » Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:35 pm

If its same-ish brew just drop them in and halve your expectations of the results of what you got first time round. If you wanna flavour staves do as doc says put them with port or whiskey or whatever inside a vacuum. The vacuum will speed things up dramatically..
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby Triangle » Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:40 pm

prawnz wrote:
the Doctor wrote:To speed up preparing oak dominos try vacuuming them into a food saver bag with a bit of sherry, port etc...the vacuum speeds up take up of the sherry et al to just a few days.
Doc

Do a manual vac seal so you can turn the vac on and off and then manually seal. You might lose a little liquid in the process but it always happens when doing a wet vac.
Triangle

equipment: To be anounced!

Postby the Doctor » Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:24 pm

prawnz wrote:
Doc

I use a couple of vac machines and they are all different... but I will assume you are using a domestic machine like a Sunbeam Foodsaver... There are 2 ways of using this type of machine...firstly using a bag...place the machine up off the countertop by about 4 inches ( on a phone book etc) sit the bag with the minimal sherry and oak on the counter and rest the lip of the bag on the vacuum machine ..then proceed as per normal...vacuum and seal.

The other way is to buy a hose and adapter for vacuuming mason jars... most vac machines can accept a hose for vacuuming mason jars...place dominoes and sherry etc into a quart mason jar vacuum and hold.

soaking the vacuumed dominoes in the jar or bag in warm water (sous-vide) will also speed things up.

remember that in a vacuum bag very little liquid is needed as none is wasted...by removing the air you are going to force total contact between the liquid and the oak.

hope that explains it.

Doc
the Doctor

Postby prawnz » Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:38 pm

the Doctor wrote:
hope that explains it.

Doc

Yup , perfect :handgestures-thumbupleft:
prawnz

equipment: SS Super Reflux with home made 2in 800mm packed extension with RC coil built in .

Postby Yase » Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:36 pm

Thanks for the info guys, looks like I'll be shopping for a vacuum food saver.. any suggestions on what to get or which brands to stay away from? I see Kogan have one for $69.
Yase

equipment: 50L Boiler, 3600w, 2" pot still with shotgun condenser

Postby the Doctor » Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:48 pm

Just make sure that whatever machine you buy can take a tube for vacuuming mason jars. I can post a picture if needs be...but a bit of research will tell you if your machine has the tube adapter.
Doc
the Doctor

Postby Aussiedownunder01 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:51 pm

Just had a thought
The older alamiumn pressure cooker they have nice thick walls
And vacuum it down with a refrigeration vacuum
They really pull a vacuum
Aussiedownunder01

Location: So close to melbourne airport you can hear the plains
equipment: 100 litre boiler with a 4 in 5 plate bubbler on top with a 500 packed section standing by if needed

Return to Oaking and Aging