Toasting ?

Discuss everything about oaking and aging here

Re: Toasting ?

Postby prawnz » Wed May 24, 2017 7:27 pm

coffe addict wrote:End grain is no friend... I'd Cut them just shorter than the aging vessel.

I have three 4L jars aging with wood I toasted

The aim with the toasting was three batches. one of them to be at the sweet end of the toasting scale, one to be packed full of vanilla and one to be toasty with a hint of almond.
All three went in @170 for 1.5hrs then bottom tray came out and temp increase to 190 for 30mins middle tray came out. Temp increase to 220 for another 30 mins.
They have only been aging for 3months so the jury is still out but most seem to be inputting what I aimed for.

The vanilla was insane at 2months but has now mostly subsided as more complex flavours are developing. I think I'll end up blending for a flavour I'm happy with and using a combination of different toasted wood to replicate the blend. Reasoning here is each one is good but so far none are well rounded.

Thanks for the recipe :handgestures-thumbupleft:

I have one complete Stave in the hands of my old boy at the mens shed . Hes going to pass it thru a band saw a few time and I'll see what comes out . The staves are about an inch thick so I asked him to cut them about 10mm wide strips length wise down the stave , to keep the end grain to a min . then I guess I'll cut them into lengths for maybe 10 or 15 g . I spose ill need to sand them or not /
prawnz

equipment: SS Super Reflux with home made 2in 800mm packed extension with RC coil built in .

Postby coffe addict » Thu May 25, 2017 9:24 am

Sanding would depend on the condition of the stave. If it's been used for red wine and the stained side is still clean I'd be leaving it for added complexity.
Usually the outside benefits from a sand/scrape.
coffe addict

equipment: 18 gal keg boiler on its side on wheel's with fill port, 1in drain and 2x2.4kw elements
4in 5 plate modular blockhead with optional infusion basket

Postby prawnz » Thu May 25, 2017 9:55 am

coffe addict wrote:Usually the outside benefits from a sand/scrape.
:handgestures-thumbupleft: :handgestures-thumbupleft: :handgestures-thumbupleft:
prawnz

equipment: SS Super Reflux with home made 2in 800mm packed extension with RC coil built in .

Postby prawnz » Fri May 26, 2017 12:25 pm

So I now have dominoes that vary between 10 and 12 gm .

I'm sure I read somewhere that wine barrel staves would already be "toasted" . If so is there a way I can tell ? They dont smell of anything and being wine barrels there is no char .

Cheers Al
prawnz

Postby prawnz » Fri May 26, 2017 12:45 pm

prawnz

Postby Triangle » Fri May 26, 2017 2:24 pm

prawnz wrote:So I now have dominoes that vary between 10 and 12 gm .

I'm sure I read somewhere that wine barrel staves would already be "toasted" . If so is there a way I can tell ? They dont smell of anything and being wine barrels there is no char .

Cheers Al

Toasted on the inside, now you want to toast/char to maximise your surface area. It will darken up with toasting alone.
Triangle

equipment: To be anounced!

Postby prawnz » Sat Jun 10, 2017 9:43 pm

Triangle wrote:
Toasted on the inside, now you want to toast/char to maximise your surface area. It will darken up with toasting alone.

Yeh the dark bit you can see down the edge is red wine stain.

I've now had two of these soaking in 1.5lt or so of nute and its coming along great , color is excellent .

Ive also got a few different lots of Doms vacsealed in various substances , Pedro Ximinez , JD , Canadian Club . and a couple of others . Just need to whip up 20 or so lt of neutral to experiment with .
prawnz

Previous

Return to Oaking and Aging