New barrels

Discuss everything about oaking and aging here

New barrels

Postby pingu » Wed Jun 14, 2017 4:38 pm

Hey guys, my fantastic fiance has gifted me 2 5lt american oak medium char barrels for my 30th. :romance-interracial:
Now I know people recommend at least 10lt for ageing but that's not what I got given so no point getting fussed.

My plan is to have one barrel for rum and the other for bourbon and using the same method for both.
I'm going to fill them with water straight away and seal them as per the instructions.

I'm thinking after filling them with rum/bourbon, tasting every few days as I know over oaking could be an issue. Then bottling half and refilling with new white dog.

Does this sound right?
Is there anything I'm missing?

Cheers
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
pingu

equipment: 2" Pot with Shotgun on Keg

Re: New barrels

Postby Doubleuj » Wed Jun 14, 2017 4:49 pm

Keep her on for the wet season!
If you keep tasting it it'll be ok.
Doubleuj
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" stainless glasser

Postby Aussiedownunder01 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 5:14 pm

She is a keeper :razz:
Aussiedownunder01

Location: So close to melbourne airport you can hear the plains
equipment: 100 litre boiler with a 4 in 5 plate bubbler on top with a 500 packed section standing by if needed

Postby Kenster » Wed Jun 14, 2017 5:17 pm

Nice barrels man... just waiting on delivery of a couple of 5's myself. I have a 10 and find it hard(ish) to keep full for an extended period...too thirsty?
Kenster

equipment: Still Spirits... turbo 500...retired.(Boiler retained, added 3kw element with variable temp)
RPG...3''x1200mm LM/VM combo...400mm double wound coldie
3''x1200mm copper pot & shares leibig from combo.

Postby Sparrow » Wed Jun 14, 2017 5:18 pm

I think our wives need to discuss appropriate gifts, with yours doing the teaching! Let us know how it goes mate i was thinking of getting a 5l. What make is it?
Sparrow

equipment: 4 plate bubbler on a 50l keg boiler.

Postby jaypes » Wed Jun 14, 2017 5:24 pm

Aussiedownunder01 wrote:She is a keeper :razz:

:handgestures-thumbupleft:
jaypes

equipment: 2" Potty

Postby pingu » Wed Jun 14, 2017 5:25 pm

Thanks doods, will be a few weeks before I stock up enough to start but cant wait.
Not sure on the make its just an ebay job with some custom writing on the front.
Had a peek inside through one of the holes and it looked good from what i can tell.
Cheers :banana-guitar: :banana-guitar: :banana-guitar:
pingu

Postby pingu » Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:04 pm

Hey hey,
So its been 4 or so months since I've dropped in here so thought I'd give a bit of an update on the barrel.
Life has gotten in the way recently so not much moonshine making but hoping to get back into it soon.

So i filled one of the barrels with BWKO all good. (about 4 months ago)
I estimate about 1/3 has evaporated out so far. In the last few weeks the flavor intensity has really picked up and its delicious. Much better than the last lot of BWKO i had on dominoes.

Just wondering how quickly the over oaking takes and is there any way to identify it early? Really want to leave this stuff in the barrel for as long as possible but don't want to overdo it.

Once this batch is done think I will just bottle it all up and start with a fresh batch of BWKO.

Hope everyone is doing well.

Cheers :auto-dirtbike:
pingu

Return to Oaking and Aging