Help with fixing barrel. Please

Discuss everything about oaking and aging here

Help with fixing barrel. Please

Postby Fishleg » Sun Jun 18, 2017 5:08 pm

Hey, bought a 10 litre barrel today from local trash market for $70!! Looks and smells like brand new!!
Pretty sweet deal ay?? I thought so too.........
So I get home and fill it with water and it leaks a fair bit around the ends, so I thought I'd try and tap the end hoops on a bit more. On first tap the end hoop came completely off on both ends :angry-banghead: and I couldn't get them started to get back on tight

In the middle it seems pretty tight just the ends leak. Anyone got any tips on how to belt the end hoops on evenly? Every time I hit one side the other side rocks off.
Do you need a special tool or jig? Or is there a little trick to it? Please help
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Fishleg

equipment: FSD neutraliser with 85 litre keg boiler

Re: Help with fixing barrel. Please

Postby wait for it » Sun Jun 18, 2017 5:50 pm

tie down ratchet straps. get the barrel tight as fu#k on the end with a tie drown ratchet strap and then try get the hoops started again. once on enough take the ratchet straps off. painfull but you will get it. maybe get a mate to lend a hand to hold it, just dont hit it with the hammer :laughing-rolling:

or as you hit one side, they hit the other with same equal pressure or something so one side doesnt rock off

if you get it good enough i would think filling with water to swell it would help maybe?
wait for it

equipment: borrowed air still sometimes

Postby Fishleg » Sun Jun 18, 2017 6:07 pm

Sounds like it could work. I'll give it a shot

Thank you
Fishleg

Postby Undertaker » Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:17 am

The hoops should also be made with a taper. Make sure your'e putting them on the right way.
And fill it with water. Might take a few days to seal itself if the staves are all dried out

Cheers Phil
Undertaker

equipment: Electric boiler, 2" potstill column. 40" VM column, copper packed,
RC double wound coldfinger,
PC liebig condensor

Postby 620rossco » Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:01 am

Use some boiling water a couple of times. An urn helps.
If that doesn't work then fill it up put the bung in and submerse it in a bucket.
Don't hit it.

Rossco
620rossco

equipment: 3"pot 2"double bok 3"LM/VM.

Postby Sam. » Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:54 am

Looks like it's in pretty good nick so it should seal with a bit of a soaking.

If it doesn't seal then you may have to pull it apart, which isn't as bad as it sounds.

Also a massive hose clamp or v clamp etc that you can screw down tight can help get the hoops back on :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby coffe addict » Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:25 am

If you stand it on it end the opposite side won't come off.
I used a large screwdriver and a hammer and tapped around gently. Going to far will make it want to spring back, I didn't have an issue with the ring coming back up.
If you get it tight enough it should have enough friction to stay on when you turn it over. If it doesn't use a nail to hold it in position.
coffe addict

equipment: 18 gal keg boiler on its side on wheel's with fill port, 1in drain and 2x2.4kw elements
4in 5 plate modular blockhead with optional infusion basket

Postby Fishleg » Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:42 pm

Sam. wrote:Looks like it's in pretty good nick so it should seal with a bit of a soaking.

If it doesn't seal then you may have to pull it apart, which isn't as bad as it sounds.

Also a massive hose clamp or v clamp etc that you can screw down tight can help get the hoops back on :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Yeah I don't think it's ever been used. The inside from what I can see thru the bung hole looks like raw timber.
And it seems very tight in the middle, it only leaks at the ends, so yeah hopefully if I can get these end hoops back on with a bit of soaking it should seal.
Thx all for tips

Also it doesn't look like it's charred inside. I intend to use it for rum, should I take the end off now whilst I'm mucking around with it and give it a bit of a char? I was thinking of filling it with port first but I already have a 5l port barrel
So maybe charring is the go?
Fishleg

Postby Sam. » Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:00 pm

There is some good info in this old thread :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.

Postby Plumby » Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:07 pm

The inside from what I can see thru the bung hole looks like raw timber.

I know its childish but I always laugh at the word bung hole, reminds me of South Park. :laughing-rolling:
Plumby

equipment: 50 litre keg boiler with a 2200watt element and a 2 inch pot still called Shaniqua with a 32mm over 19mm 800mm long liebig condenser attached.

Postby Fishleg » Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:23 pm

Sam. wrote:There is some good info in this old thread :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Sweet. Thank you, there is some good info there indeed. Definitely keen to give it a crack. Although I'm still a bit nervous about potentially making some very expensive dominoes as you say :? :shock:

Nothing ventured nothing gained I guess
Fishleg

Postby Fishleg » Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:25 pm

Fishleg wrote:
Sam. wrote:There is some good info in this old thread :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Sweet. Thank you, there is some good info there indeed. Definitely keen to give it a crack. Although I'm still a bit nervous about potentially making some very expensive dominoes as you say :? :shock:

Curious to know. Did you end up sealing that first little barrel in that thread? Or is it now dominoes?
I assume the second one went well?
Fishleg

Postby Fishleg » Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:19 pm

Plumby wrote:The inside from what I can see thru the bung hole looks like raw timber.

I know its childish but I always laugh at the word bung hole, reminds me of South Park. :laughing-rolling:

Or beavis and butthead..... I am cornholio!! I need tee pee for my bung hole!!!!
Fishleg

Postby Sam. » Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:46 pm

Fishleg wrote:
Fishleg wrote:

Curious to know. Did you end up sealing that first little barrel in that thread? Or is it now dominoes?
I assume the second one went well?

I ended up using some flour paste to get it to seal then gave it to a mate to put port in and he reckons it hasn't leaked at all. My thought was the port should be thick enough to seal it up pretty good :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Yeah second one was bang on, the bigger the barrel the easier it is as well ;-)
Sam.
Lifetime Member

18 Gal boiler.

Postby Fishleg » Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:04 am

Nice, good to hear.

Thx all
Fishleg

Return to Oaking and Aging