Proper Tennessee whiskey

Discuss everything about oaking and aging here

Proper Tennessee whiskey

Postby newbiboozer » Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:00 pm

Has anyone tried to do a Tennessee whiskey the way JD do with the running through maple wood charcoal. I enjoy a good Gentlemen jack and would love to have a crack myself. Any thoughts or experience on this would be appreciated.
newbiboozer

equipment: 4" modular plated column in very early stages.

Re: Proper Tennessee whiskey

Postby woodduck » Wed Aug 02, 2017 2:01 am

When I first started this hobby I was obsessed with making JD's but since trying the bwko I can't drink jacks or turkey anymore. I do do a modified bwko to go towards the Tennessee whiskey (substitute wheat with rye.) and have had some success but I don't recon I leave enough heads and tails in to get close enough :laughing-rolling: . Another thing I've heard of is putting some maple syrup in when ageing. I can't remember the rates but recon there on here somewhere.

This might help aswell,
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=4351&p=72646#p72635

I get where your coming from with the charcoal filter thing but to be honest if the charcoal is doing it’s job it should be taking out flavour not adding it, well thats my understanding anyway.

Good luck with it mate, I hope you get something your happy with. Let me know if you get it
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Postby scottyd72 » Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:29 am

woodduck wrote:When I first started this hobby I was obsessed with making JD's but since trying the bwko I can't drink jacks or turkey anymore. I do do a modified bwko to go towards the Tennessee whiskey (substitute wheat with rye.) and have had some success but I don't recon I leave enough heads and tails in to get close enough :laughing-rolling: . Another thing I've heard of is putting some maple syrup in when ageing. I can't remember the rates but recon there on here somewhere.

Oh interesting thought there woodduck with the rye substitute. I want to eventually try making my own canadian club style rye whiskey once my bubbler is built.
I also tried adding maple syrup to a few bottles of neutral and canadian whiskey essence mix. The first one worked ok but the second one has developed a weird taste that turned me off that bottle.
scottyd72

equipment: Bokakob LM reflux with homemade cooling coil. Building a 3" bubbler...

Postby woodduck » Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:13 am

I forgot tomention to only use real syrup not the cheap imitation stuff.
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Postby Sparrow » Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:37 am

I've put a shot of maple syrup per litre of spirit in mine and that seems to work well.

I'm pretty sure gentleman Jack is just Jack with another pass through the filter if that helps.

I used to really like it when I was getting into drinking neat and on the rocks because it's so easy drinking, these days though I find it's quite lacking in depth and complexity so chase other things. Still a good mixer though.
Sparrow

equipment: 4 plate bubbler on a 50l keg boiler.

Postby Steve Earl » Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:03 pm

I was having thoughts on this myself, I have a bag of Jack Daniels charcoal i got from Barbeques Galore, I was thinking a long Stainless Steel tube with a extreamly
small hole in the end, pack the tube with charcoal, then fill with your pre flavoured JD, maybe run it through a Coffee filter, then age it a bit on JD Barrel chips.
I have also ordered some Maple smoking chips from Barbeques Galore, i intend to mix them 50/50 with JB Oak Barrel chips and let my pre flavoured CC age a bit on them.
I,m pretty new to the Distilling game, but i,m having a ball experimenting!!!
P.S. Cant find spell check on this Laptop!
Steve Earl

equipment: Kembla Ezystill

Return to Oaking and Aging