Welcome the pig

Discuss everything about oaking and aging here

Welcome the pig

Postby Minpac » Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:32 pm

Seeing as you guys enjoyed Bluc's thread, I thought I'd show you a pic of the Pig. She's a fat 50L barrel that will run as an ongoing infinity/solera barrel much like others have set up, adding new stock after drawing off a small portion of the old. Bought it from Roll out the Barrel. Workmanship is nice. Have about 20L in so far,

Pics are from just before putting the tap on.

barrel 2.jpg

barrel 1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Minpac

equipment: 2" pot, 2" VM

Re: Welcome the pig

Postby bluc » Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:35 pm

Sweet barrel alright. When i eventually get my bubbler done will maybe look at bigger barrels..
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby Fishleg » Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:37 pm

What have you got in there mate ?
Fishleg

equipment: FSD neutraliser with 85 litre keg boiler

Postby The Stig » Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:48 pm

It's the big brother to our latest prize :D
The Stig
Site Nerd

equipment: Only the Best will Do.
Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby Minpac » Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:16 pm

So far, there's about 5 litres of a modified CFW with roasted barley, 8 litres of partial mash bourbon/cfw and 7 litres of all grain bourbon w/ rye at 62% ABV. I've been storing low wines as I've been working my way toward being predominantly all-grain. All low wines were thrown together into a single spirit run, with some tight cuts.

Just barreled last weekend - looking forward to seeing how it develops. This is my first new barrel - I've been aging smaller runs in old port barrels up to now.

Next step is a bubbler so I can experiment with recipes without having to do hundreds of litres of wash to do a spirit run. Just have to get it past the missus! :think:

Stig - the new prize sounds awesome. The pig could totally use a smaller brother for all-grain only bourbon. :laughing-rolling:
Minpac

equipment: 2" pot, 2" VM

Postby Sam. » Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:36 pm

The Stig wrote:It's the big brother to our latest prize :D

Minpac wrote: Stig - the new prize sounds awesome. The pig could totally use a smaller brother for all-grain only bourbon. :laughing-rolling:

Well good thing you have a blue jacket Minpac so you can see the comp ;-)
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby Fishleg » Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:03 pm

Minpac wrote:So far, there's about 5 litres of a modified CFW with roasted barley, 8 litres of partial mash bourbon/cfw and 7 litres of all grain bourbon w/ rye at 62% ABV. I've been storing low wines as I've been working my way toward being predominantly all-grain. All low wines were thrown together into a single spirit run, with some tight cuts.

Just barreled last weekend - looking forward to seeing how it develops. This is my first new barrel - I've been aging smaller runs in old port barrels up to now.

Next step is a bubbler so I can experiment with recipes without having to do hundreds of litres of wash to do a spirit run. Just have to get it past the missus! :think:

Stig - the new prize sounds awesome. The pig could totally use a smaller brother for all-grain only bourbon. :laughing-rolling:

Sounds like a tasty mix :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Fishleg

equipment: FSD neutraliser with 85 litre keg boiler

Postby nuddy » Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:50 pm

First look and could easily tell it was a RotB barrel. They are a well made piece of kit.

Love their work, I got a 25L number a few months ago.

You must be very stoked.
nuddy

equipment: 2" bokabob
4" blockhead bubbler build in progress

Postby Woodsy71 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:29 pm

ROTB
Respect
Woodsy71

equipment: CM and a Pot

Return to Oaking and Aging