Aging in glass

Discuss everything about oaking and aging here

Aging in glass

Postby Aussiedownunder01 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:59 pm

Theres somebody on facebook trying to tell me he makes a better product ageing in glass on chips than 12 months in a barrel
Aussiedownunder01

Location: So close to melbourne airport you can hear the plains
equipment: 100 litre boiler with a 4 in 5 plate bubbler on top with a 500 packed section standing by if needed

Re: Aging in glass

Postby Doubleuj » Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:14 pm

Well that's fuckbook for you :laughing-rolling:
Doubleuj
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" stainless glasser

Postby woodduck » Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:14 pm

:handgestures-thumbdown: :handgestures-thumbdown: (insert fart noise here) :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: poor fella
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Postby prawnz » Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:19 pm

IMHO when it comes to the taste of your home made "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder"
prawnz

equipment: SS Super Reflux with home made 2in 800mm packed extension with RC coil built in .

Postby Stonemaker1 » Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:08 am

My guess would be that he could not afford a barrel and he is trying to convince himself, sure as sh#t you did not do the experiment side by side. :laughing-rolling:
Stonemaker1

equipment: 50 litre pot still

Postby scythe » Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:29 pm

Remember that some people absolutely love commercial spirits as well.
scythe

equipment: Dreaming of a 4" bubbler

Postby Onlyalittlebitdodge » Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:05 pm

At present, due to supply and demand issues, the only thing I can wait 12 months for is a baby, and that only takes 9.
Perhaps this needs to be qualified... Is this a neutral on chips in glass for x-number of weeks VS neutral in a barrel for 12 months?
Onlyalittlebitdodge

equipment: 50L converted keg, 2" copper tower

Postby woodduck » Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:37 pm

We should clear this up.

There is nothing wrong with aging with oak in glass, nothing at all. We all do it and it’s fine. It's a easy cheap and effective way to age spirit. But a oak barrel is just the ultimate. I and many others, probably 99% of people believe that a barrel imparts better flavors and ages spirit nicer.

We're only giving this bloke greef because it’s not something you would normally hear someone say. Now maybe he just had a shit barrel or one of his mates put something in it that shouldn't have been, one saterday night or he just knows the perfect way to do it in glass :laughing-rolling:

Either way good luck to him
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Postby Stonemaker1 » Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:42 pm

woodduck wrote:We should clear this up.

There is nothing wrong with aging with oak in glass, nothing at all. We all do it and it’s fine. It's a easy cheap and effective way to age spirit. But a oak barrel is just the ultimate. I and many others, probably 99% of people believe that a barrel imparts better flavors and ages spirit nicer.

We're only giving this bloke greef because it’s not something you would normally hear someone say. Now maybe he just had a shit barrel or one of his mates put something in it that shouldn't have been, one saterday night or he just knows the perfect way to do it in glass :laughing-rolling:

Either way good luck to him

Well said :whistle:
Stonemaker1

equipment: 50 litre pot still

Postby CSAMags » Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:21 am

I’m all for trying different methods and trying different ways to age. Not everyone can afford an oak barrel to age in. I would like to try aging in both and see how it goes and different time periods. At least then I can say I have tried and give advice when asked.
CSAMags

equipment: Turbo 500

Postby Sam. » Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:46 am

CSAMags wrote:I’m all for trying different methods and trying different ways to age. Not everyone can afford an oak barrel to age in. I would like to try aging in both and see how it goes and different time periods. At least then I can say I have tried and give advice when asked.

G'day mate, how about a post in the welcome centre so you can introduce yourself properly :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Return to Oaking and Aging