Oak spirals

Discuss everything about oaking and aging here

Oak spirals

Postby Adam G » Sun Jul 08, 2018 12:16 pm

Hey all,
I managed to get some free American oak and French oak medium toasted spirals for free from a mate.
Just wondering if these are any good? I see everyone seems to use dominos, which I will get if they are that much better. I want to make good whiskey, and use the products that will help this.
I did get some oak chips from Beerbelly before joining this forum, which I probably won’t use going from what the recommendation from here is.
Adam G

equipment: Copper Alembic Dome for now

Re: Oak spirals

Postby RC Al » Sun Jul 08, 2018 6:50 pm

The end grain percentage would be huge, from what I've read, that's a bad thing. The people who worry about such things go for about a 10% ratio of end grain on an aging stick

Try both in separate jars and see what you like the taste of, every one has different tastes, you may want to use them for a blend
RC Al
Mentor

equipment: 3 plate 4" glasser
2" Potty

Re: Oak spirals

Postby db1979 » Sun Jul 08, 2018 7:43 pm

As RC Al said, it's the end grain, this allows tannins to get into your spirit. They might be ok for long term aging as the tannins will have time to mellow. Aeration might help speed up the process. There's a few threads on here on aeration.
db1979

equipment: Eve - 4" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (sieve plates), 330 mm packed section on a keg boiler with 2 x 2000 W elements.
Currently having a makeover: 2" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (1" bubble caps, no sight glasses...maybe not for much longer!) on a bain-marie boiler.

Return to Oaking and Aging