American Oak Barrel

Discuss everything about oaking and aging here

Re: American Oak Barrel

Postby busman » Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:53 pm

Frank wrote: :lol: 5Star, I've got a SS AIRSTILL!!! That's the first time I've heard such a defnition of my kitchen bench toy ;)

It still distills stuff doesn't it?

Just think, you could be the pioneer of the cheap-sherry-that's-been-used-to-season-a-wooden-keg-then-run-through-an-airstill recipe. It would be named after you, in fact people would just shorten it to "Frank's" - "what'd you do today?" "you know, just mowed the lawn, watched some telly, oh yeah, and knocked up a batch of Frank's" "Frank's eh, nice! Can I come around?". It could revolutionise air-stilling, it could revitalise sherry sales, it could inspire young people to dare to dream!!!!!!

....or it could taste like shit and THEN you tip it down the drain. :mrgreen:
busman

equipment: 2" VM column, 2" pot still, 55L keg boiler

Postby MacStill » Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:27 pm

or it could taste like excellent grappa :mrgreen:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby Frank » Fri Aug 26, 2011 5:42 pm

Hi again, it seems to me from reading 'related' posts that there is (at least) two schools of thought / methods re using 'my' Oak barrel. :think: Again, apologies in advance if I've got this wrong :doh:.

The first is to condition/age a distilled base/neutral, usually at a fairly high ABV%, for a while PRIOR to transferring to another receptacle for further 'refining' before eventual bottling/quaffing etc etc
The second is to let the spirit mature/finish in the barrel and, basically, pour off to drink.

OK Gentlemen, Ladies and others (with particular reference to me wanting a fine whisky when all is said and done), what's your preference/experience(s) please.

....and, Busman, I'll have some of what you're having! :lol: :lol: ;)
Frank

Postby QLD.Andy » Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:57 pm

Frank wrote:The second is to let the spirit mature/finish in the barrel and, basically, pour off to drink.

This is what I do, am doing now :laughing-rolling:
QLD.Andy

equipment: Still Spirits T500 with Copper Mesh
McStill made Copper Parrot
McStill made Copper Pot Still

Postby Frank » Tue Nov 29, 2011 5:40 pm

Hey QLD.Andy (et al)
how is the bourbon from your barrel nowdays? Its about :oops: months old now, isn't it?
I've got a (almost) 3 month old barrelled 'whisky' that's starting to 'shape up' nicely and would love to read that patience is rewarded :laughing-rolling: else.....
Frank

Postby Frank » Tue Nov 29, 2011 5:47 pm

5Star wrote:.... Better way to age is to draw off and top up. What i do is fill the barrell, then draw off a litre or two and top it up with white dog. Take your couple of litres and sit it on some oak sticks to finnish for a couple of weeks before breaking it down to 40% and bottling.....

Hey 5Star could you please clue me in on what ABV you put in the whisky barrel and your take on what type of oak soak (toasted/charred, lots/little etc) the 'couple of weeks' is?..
and, as always advance apologies (for this accumulating alliteration :laughing-rolling: , no) for not finding a previous answer, if one could be found :whistle: .
Frank

Postby maheel » Tue Nov 29, 2011 6:12 pm

i am just about to put my 12L barrel back into real service and what i used to do was after filling it and leaving it a while i would draw off 750ml to a drinking bottle and then top the barrel back up with pre-aged demijohn stuff.

drink the 750 and repeat

that way all my "whiskey" would taste the "same" as the stuff coming from the barrel was a blend of each run over time

the barrel would also get the dregs of and store bought scotch i bought and also a shot of port # or musket every now and then.
i like the extra mouth feel and aroma that port can give, it also can ad a bit of color. I also just like port ;)

i stupidly let my barrel dry out and recently soaked it in water and it has sealed back up fine (LUCKY!!) i have had a bit of sacrificial spirit in it to get it ready and have been turning it every other day.
maheel

Postby R-sole » Wed Nov 30, 2011 3:54 am

Frank wrote:
5Star wrote:.... Better way to age is to draw off and top up. What i do is fill the barrell, then draw off a litre or two and top it up with white dog. Take your couple of litres and sit it on some oak sticks to finnish for a couple of weeks before breaking it down to 40% and bottling.....

Hey 5Star could you please clue me in on what ABV you put in the whisky barrel and your take on what type of oak soak (toasted/charred, lots/little etc) the 'couple of weeks' is?..
and, as always advance apologies (for this accumulating alliteration :laughing-rolling: , no) for not finding a previous answer, if one could be found :whistle: .

I've always aged at 65% as that's where i read the sweet spot is. Kiwi did a series of experiments with short aging different sticks on different proofs a couple years back. I posted a link here a few months ago.

I prefer dark toasted sticks (the colour of dark chocolate) made by toasting in foil for 2-3 hours at 220C. I like to put half a dozen or more in a 4l square jar and age for 4-6 weeks or until on the verge of over oaking.
I then break it down in bottles to 40%.
R-sole

equipment: Keg based pot stiller. 3" vm for occasionally making product for macerations and redistillation.

Postby erehwon » Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:06 pm

I read some where about soaking some Tassiee Oak in sugar solution and then drying it a few times and then char/charcol it or sumthin like that. Could some one tell me the truth or otherwise about using Tassie Oak and or treatment thereof or other aussie wood that our product (rum,bourbon) could age on

Cheers
erehwon

equipment: 30l fermentation vat, alcohol meter, airstill

Postby Kimbo » Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:34 pm

Gday erehwon,
Tassi oak wont taste too good as it is a form of eucalypt.
(therefore not really an oak, other name Victorian Ash) ;-)
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" bubbler with a 6"inline thumper

Postby audistiller » Wed May 02, 2012 11:04 am

I have a friend that imports Harleys and parts from the States, I'm going to ask if he can add a couple of barrels into the next container that he brings over. After paying whatever duty I need to pay, a couple of bottles should keep him happy.
audistiller

equipment: 2x 30L Fermenters
T500 Reflux Still with a spare Reflux Column

Postby Kimbo » Wed May 02, 2012 12:13 pm

Yeah, and maybe add a couple of extra bottles for the lads in Quarantine :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" bubbler with a 6"inline thumper

Postby audistiller » Fri May 04, 2012 12:58 am

I have been thinking seriously about soaking some chunks in 92% for a week, taking it out and let it dry out a bit naturally for a day or two, then light it up for a couple of minutes, quenching it, then tossing it into some 40% and let it age for a couple of weeks or even a few months.

Edit: Might be a good idea for using up the Foreshots.
audistiller

equipment: 2x 30L Fermenters
T500 Reflux Still with a spare Reflux Column

Previous

Return to Oaking and Aging