Generations, storage and ageing- NOOB ALERT

Discuss everything about oaking and aging here

Generations, storage and ageing- NOOB ALERT

Postby Matt_Pl » Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:49 am

Gday Lads and Ladies,

Another stupid question from Darwin.

I have got 3 x 200 litre fermenters I've started my 2nd Gum for my rum and I'm looking at going to gen 2 on my UJSSM this weekend, the third is used for FFV.

Should I go to the effort of ageing each generation separately, Or do I put a tap in the bottom of a stainless steel keg and continue to top it up after I finish each generation?

My other options are the fire extinguisher conversion (which is fantastic, and I get them for nothing) or i can get Corney kegs for $45 each and just age each gen as I finish my runs.

I figure once I hit 5 -7 Runs I will never have to make rum again. Once I wait 6 months for it to age.

Cheers All

Matt.
Matt_Pl

equipment: 4" FSD Neutraliser, custom made 50 litre SS Keg Boiler powered by 4800 killer wasps.

Re: Generations, storage and ageing- NOOB ALERT

Postby bluc » Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:44 pm

Matt_Pl wrote:Gday Lads and Ladies,

I figure once I hit 5 -7 Runs I will never have to make rum again. Once I wait 6 months for it to age.

Cheers All

Matt.

That what I thought but it disappears fast :scared-eek:

all good ideas I generally mix it all together for uj and rum, All your ideas are fine just go with what suits you best although if you age a bottle of gen 1 and a bottle of gen 6 separate it will give you an idea of taste difference.

I have started a continuous fermenter of uj will just keep making it adding half volume fresh grains each five gens and keep the backset going. My oak barrel is full after first 5 gens but plan to replace it with gens 5 then when I get to gen 10 gens will replace it all again, until flavour even out then will oak it couple years..Rum I am going to have another crack at gens and also move to all molasses rum this season and do the same with the barrel..get later gens ageing.. good luck :D
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Re: Generations, storage and ageing- NOOB ALERT

Postby dans.brew » Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:05 pm

Matt_Pl wrote:Gday Lads and Ladies,

Another stupid question from Darwin.

I have got 3 x 200 litre fermenters I've started my 2nd Gum for my rum and I'm looking at going to gen 2 on my UJSSM this weekend, the third is used for FFV.

Should I go to the effort of ageing each generation separately, Or do I put a tap in the bottom of a stainless steel keg and continue to top it up after I finish each generation?

My other options are the fire extinguisher conversion (which is fantastic, and I get them for nothing) or i can get Corney kegs for $45 each and just age each gen as I finish my runs.

Cheers All

Matt.

It comes down to your own preference really. I generally mix all my gens together to age, however some keep there first and/or second gen separate until they build the flavour profile a bit then mix from then on. With some washes they put the first gen in the vodka run.
I have found all the gens mix up fine for my taste anyway.
One thing i wouldnt do straight away is put spirit from one spirit run straight in with previous run until you've tasted your cuts and are happy with them.
My last rum somehow got a sniff of heads in the final product, so ive kept it seperate to age long term on oak and hopefully it will mellow a bit with time.
Remember you can try a few different types of oak and oak treatments ie char, toast ect if you split it up a bit too.. see what you like/ dislike.

You will get a fair amount of rum with 6 or so 200ltr ferments!
I only do as much rum as i drink for the year, a year in advance so it can age for at least 12 months. Its makes a huge difference if you can leave it alone.. easier said than done :laughing-rolling:
dans.brew

equipment: Pure Distilling Reflux Still
2" Pot Still with lieberg
4" x 4 plates Bubbler with 2"bubble caps on 50ltr keg boiler

Return to Oaking and Aging