Oaking Rum with Dominos

Discuss everything about oaking and aging here

Oaking Rum with Dominos

Postby JayTee » Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:20 am

Hi,

I've been searching the boards and the internet generally, and unless I'm looking in the wrong place, I can't seem to get a feel for how long the oaking process takes for rum (using toasted French oak dominos). Most of my readings suggest 4 or 5 weeks @ 15g per litre of cask strength rum, but I've been gradually increasing this time, and the results are getting better. I think the implication is that the dominos should be removed after this time and the remainder of the "oaking" time e.g. 6 months finishing off on its own in glass.

My latest batch of rum is currently 9 weeks' old on oak. I can tell it wouldn't be wrong to remove it now, but I don't really have a sign that oaking is finished or not.

I'd really appreciate views on how long oaking generally takes please. Also if there is a way of telling what I'm tasting for to signify "end of oaking" that would be really helpful too! Thanks in advance. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
JayTee

equipment: 4 plate bubbler

Re: Oaking Rum with Dominos

Postby Nathan02 » Mon Nov 26, 2018 6:36 am

9 weeks old is barely aged. I have rum that has been sitting in oak on 5g per litre for 20 months and it just keeps getting better. Dont go anymore then 10g per litre but it is all personal taste as to when you are happy with the flavour profile. Remember that rum in the commercial circle needs to sit on wood for two years to be legally labeled and sold as rum. Cheers
Last edited by Nathan02 on Mon Nov 26, 2018 6:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nathan02

equipment: 6" 4 plate bubbler with optional packed section.

Postby dans.brew » Mon Nov 26, 2018 6:37 am

Oaking is definitely best done over longer periods of time but probably not at 15gms/ltr or you most likely will over oak it.
I generally oak at 15gms/ltr for 1st month then cut it back to 1/3 of that for long term aging (6months+). To date this has worked well for me. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
dans.brew

equipment: Pure Distilling Reflux Still
2" Pot Still with lieberg
4" x 4 plates Bubbler with 2"bubble caps on 50ltr keg boiler

Postby coffe addict » Mon Nov 26, 2018 7:01 am

All of the above is sound advice.
The longer it will age the less oak per litre and the nicer the rum will be!
coffe addict

equipment: 18 gal keg boiler on its side on wheel's with fill port, 1in drain and 2x2.4kw elements
4in 5 plate modular blockhead with optional infusion basket

Postby JayTee » Mon Nov 26, 2018 7:15 am

Cheers guys! :handgestures-thumbupleft:
JayTee

equipment: 4 plate bubbler

Postby YarraRanges » Mon Nov 26, 2018 2:37 pm

I do on French domino and one American domino both at medium toast in a 2 litre flagon. It takes about 4 months to get the the right flavour profile and colour. Everyone loves it.
YarraRanges

equipment: 14 plate bubbler

Return to Oaking and Aging