Any ideas on the origins of this pair please?

Discuss everything about oaking and aging here

Any ideas on the origins of this pair please?

Postby Chocko6969 » Sun May 19, 2019 1:09 pm

Hi all, it's a storage question, not sure where to ask this so hope this section is OK?

Would anyone out there have any ideas where these came from or what they were used for? I've had them so long I can't even remember where I got them?
Obviously too good to throw out and would be great for storage but I don't want to use them if they've had seriously nasty shit in them.

Yes they're big, 520mm from floor to top, 300mm diameter, neck opening is 55mm. I haven't measured what they hold but I'm guessing around 35ltrs.

I've got some sodium percarbonate that should give it a should initial clean and see how they are after that.

Any clues gratefully accepted!

Chocko.

hugebottle_1.jpg
hugebottle_2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Chocko6969

equipment: Bubbler now operational!

Re: Any ideas on the origins of this pair please?

Postby db1979 » Sun May 19, 2019 1:30 pm

Look like they may be schott bottles. Commonly used to store large volumes of solutions or solvent mixtures in chem labs. Giving that they're glass, a good clean with detergent and hot water, rinse and then rinse with neutral and they should be good to go for storage.

Just don't use a plastic lid. Replace it with a cork or silicon bung. Try Widgetco for a cork bung.
Last edited by db1979 on Sun May 19, 2019 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
db1979

equipment: Eve - 4" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (sieve plates), 330 mm packed section on a keg boiler with 2 x 2000 W elements.
Currently having a makeover: 2" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (1" bubble caps, no sight glasses...maybe not for much longer!) on a bain-marie boiler.

Re: Any ideas on the origins of this pair please?

Postby Chocko6969 » Sun May 19, 2019 1:35 pm

db1979 wrote:Look like they may be schott bottles. Commonly used to store large volumes of solutions or solvent mixtures in chem labs. Giving that they're glass, a good clean with detergent and hot water, rinse and then rinse with neutral and they should be good to go for storage.

Just don't use a plastic lid. Replace it with a cork or silicon bung. Try Widgetco for a cork bung.

Thanks db, I knew someone here would have an idea! Cheers!

Chocko
Chocko6969

equipment: Bubbler now operational!

Return to Oaking and Aging