reusing/repairing old barrels

Discuss everything about oaking and aging here

reusing/repairing old barrels

Postby crow » Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:41 pm

Hi I brought 2 Of my old barrels over from SA .The 10 gal Italian oak was my port barrel had really nice port in it and was thinking I could put my rum in it as the 2 flavors might complement each other anyone tried this . the other one is 4 or so gal , English and very old. around 4 or 5 yrs ago I knocked it apart shaved and sanded it , had big plans of making brandy . It should be neutral enough for anything now I hope but I've lost a band so fine I got one off a totally fucked hogshead taper is close enough but I have NFI where I'd get those mild steel coopering rivets so my question is can the band be just welded or is there a reason apart from tradition that they are always riveted
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Re: reusing/repairing old barrels

Postby R-sole » Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:53 am

R-sole

equipment: Keg based pot stiller. 3" vm for occasionally making product for macerations and redistillation.

Postby crow » Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:06 pm

A I stated I scraped the old barrel , before I knock the new ring on and swell thought it might pay to ask : How important is the toast and charring , i mean I could easily do it at this stage if ppl think it would pay to its very old oak but there is fresh grain exposed
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby R-sole » Tue May 01, 2012 4:03 am

Do it if you can. That's where all the colour, and a lot of the flavours come from.
R-sole

equipment: Keg based pot stiller. 3" vm for occasionally making product for macerations and redistillation.

Postby crow » Tue May 01, 2012 9:01 am

yep can do , I'll just use the oak growing as its the only oak I have to burn
crow

Postby audistiller » Sun May 06, 2012 9:54 pm

I found a couple of places in Perth that appears to sell American Oak. I have requested information on sizes and prices, if its cheap enough, I might grab some to play around with. I suspect because this is an exotic timber, there wont be much in the way of off-cuts, but I am hoping I can get hold of some, you never know your luck.
audistiller

equipment: 2x 30L Fermenters
T500 Reflux Still with a spare Reflux Column

Postby R-sole » Sun May 06, 2012 11:58 pm

Roll Out The Barrell will post you as much as you want.
R-sole

Postby audistiller » Mon May 07, 2012 12:19 am

5Star wrote:Roll Out The Barrell will post you as much as you want.

Thanks for that, but I thought I would try someone local first, at least I wont have to fork out for freight. I suppose I could get some prices from R.O.T.B while I'm waiting, I really only want off-cuts anyway at the moment.

Regards
audistiller

Postby Goldie » Mon May 07, 2012 12:59 am

American Oak cutoffs from ROTB is $5 a kilo plus postage.
Goldie

equipment: 4" four perf plate column on a 100lt SS boiler, 2" Pot Still on 50lt keg boiler

Postby audistiller » Mon May 07, 2012 1:13 am

Goldie wrote:American Oak cutoffs from ROTB is $5 a kilo plus postage.

Thanks heaps Goldie, that gives me something to work with.

Regards
audistiller

Postby R-sole » Mon May 07, 2012 4:57 am

I gotta stop promoting them. Back when i got some it was $50 a wheelie bin full :o
R-sole

Postby audistiller » Mon May 07, 2012 1:17 pm

Yeah, I am thinking a 20 kilo bag of off-cuts is likely to be upwards of $150 to Perth, have just got replies from two places in Perth I emailed, just waiting to hear back on prices now. :pray:
audistiller

Postby MacStill » Mon May 07, 2012 7:59 pm

audistiller wrote:Yeah, I am thinking a 20 kilo bag of off-cuts is likely to be upwards of $150 to Perth, have just got replies from two places in Perth I emailed, just waiting to hear back on prices now. :pray:

Some good deals to be had on gumtree at times, look for used oak barrels and cut em up ;-)
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby crow » Mon May 07, 2012 8:20 pm

audistiller wrote:Yeah, I am thinking a 20 kilo bag of off-cuts is likely to be upwards of $150 to Perth, have just got replies from two places in Perth I emailed, just waiting to hear back on prices now. :pray:

listen not trying to be a smart arse but the Swan Valley has quite a number of wineries , if you approached them they would more than likely sell you used hogs heads get one with a fucked end pretty cheap . i'd say 40 to 60 bucks , don't know how much they weigh but i had one roll down some ramps over my leg and it was a shit load more than 3 times 20 kgs . Don't want the port , sherry or wine flavor fine knock it apart and spokeshave 3 or 4 mm off the inside and jobs right , rip or split the staves down to the size ya want . enough oak for the next 20 yrs and if ya want to char it you'll have plenty to burn to to char with , just saying fucked if I'd pay $150 for 20 kg of raw off cuts of oak that price is a bloody joke :twocents-mytwocents: EDIT : maybe even more conveiniant New Norsica monistry makes sherry , port and musket surely they must flog off there old barrels
crow

Postby audistiller » Mon May 07, 2012 8:26 pm

McStill wrote:Some good deals to be had on gumtree at times, look for used oak barrels and cut em up ;-)

Yeah I have been scouting through there, most of the ones I have found look bloody horrible to say the least, but when you think about the cost of this timber, and being exotic, off-cuts aren't something as easy to find as other timber off-cuts, you would get more bang for your buck buying a complete barrel. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
audistiller

Postby Kimbo » Mon May 07, 2012 8:27 pm

croweater wrote:

listen not trying to be a smart arse but the Swan Valley has quite a number of wineries , if you approached them they would more than likely sell you used hogs heads get one with a fucked end pretty cheap . i'd say 40 to 60 bucks , don't know how much they weigh but i had one roll down some ramps over my leg and it was a shit load more than 3 times 20 kgs . Don't want the port , sherry or wine flavor fine knock it apart and spokeshave 3 or 4 mm off the inside and jobs right , rip or split the staves down to the size ya want . enough oak for the next 20 yrs and if ya want to char it you'll have plenty to burn to to char with , just saying fucked if I'd pay $150 for raw off cuts of oak that price is a bloody joke :twocents-mytwocents:

The cheapest i've seen is $70- $80 for a half barrel. Bloody rip-off!( in the Swan valley)
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" bubbler with a 6"inline thumper

Postby MacStill » Mon May 07, 2012 8:28 pm

Dont worry if they're a bit shabby, a quick hit with a planer will get the shit off & then a good toasting...... as good as the best you'll buy :handgestures-thumbupleft:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby crow » Mon May 07, 2012 8:33 pm

70 to 80 $ for half farrrrk is that of the wineries (not garden centers) bloody hell though Ned kelly was from over this way EDIT still a whole hell of alot cheaper than Auds expected price though , even so FARRRK
Last edited by crow on Mon May 07, 2012 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
crow

Postby MacStill » Mon May 07, 2012 8:34 pm

Still beats $10 for 100 grams from the HBS :))
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby Kimbo » Mon May 07, 2012 8:36 pm

croweater wrote:70 to 80 $ for half farrrrk is that of the wineries (not garden centers) bloody hell though Ned kelly was from over this way

Your right,That was from the garden suppliers. The Wineries were hard work to get info (and barrels for that matter) out of, they just didnt want to know :sad:
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" bubbler with a 6"inline thumper

Next

Return to Oaking and Aging