French v American / Medium v Heavy

Discuss everything about oaking and aging here

French v American / Medium v Heavy

Postby SWstill » Wed Sep 30, 2020 9:19 am

Hi All,

The time has come to finally get my pot still order in and get up and running at this new hobby! I thought i would give a whisky aged on oak a try for my first batch as can experiment with more instant drinks (Vodka / gin) whilst it ages on Dominoes.

Space is at a premium being in an apartment so will be aging in a 5L demijohn (possibly 2 depending on cuts). Will be starting with NutriGrain Whiskey from the tried and proven section but the question is - which dominoes are best?

French look to colour quicker than american oak?
Is the main difference between medium and heavy toasted the strength of the flavour and speed it comes through?
Any recommendations for a first batch, will be getting them from 5SD fine selection :happy-partydance:

Cheers
SWstill

equipment: 2.5L Alembic Pot Still for experimenting
2" FSD Boka - The Baby Maker
2" FSD Pot Still - The Stripper

Re: French v American / Medium v Heavy

Postby Wellsy » Wed Sep 30, 2020 10:47 am

Like you I am just starting SW.
I had no idea but as it is your first batch can i suggest you dont bet everything on black by just using 1 aging jar.
Try 5 x 1 litre jars instead and that way you can experiment with different ABVs as well as different amounts of oak.
I laid my first batch down yesterday and tried a 65 % & 55% both at 7g to the litre and a 60% at 10g to the litre.
I also did a few other variations using some oak staves I got from a winery but I think I might have cut them up the wrong way and exposed to much end grain. I did these in wine bottles time will tell and it gives me plenty of variation to try
Wellsy

equipment: FSD 4” Modular Pot Still plus 4 FSD Bubble plates on FSD 50 ltr Milk Can Boiler + 2 x 2400W FSD Element and Guard Kits

Postby SWstill » Wed Sep 30, 2020 11:20 am

Thanks Wellsy,

I have been following your journey too and seem to be a few months behind but see you went straight for the 4" :clap:

Good suggestion and will look at splitting it between a few bottles with varying amounts. I am already massively over budget (original looked at T500) with the Oak Dominoes pushing it further, once i have actually produced some drinkable spirit i will try the different types but just after a good first run suggestion / most popular choice.
SWstill

Postby Wellsy » Wed Sep 30, 2020 4:56 pm

Hello SW my budget ended up smouldering Ruin lol
I initially looked at the air still even cheaper than the T500. I went with the 4 inch only so I could upgrade later. I am really happy with the fsd 4 inch. My biggest cost now is bloody glass jars lol. Cheapest I found are 3 litre jars from the reject shop here in vic for $5:00. Aldi had 900 ml jars a couple of weeks ago 3 for $5:00 so I grabbed a dozen of them. Where to stop spending is the question lol.
Wellsy

equipment: FSD 4” Modular Pot Still plus 4 FSD Bubble plates on FSD 50 ltr Milk Can Boiler + 2 x 2400W FSD Element and Guard Kits

Postby bluc » Wed Sep 30, 2020 6:40 pm

Welsy checkout big w you can get 8l drink dispenser. replace tap with stainless one from ebay and wrap seal in plumbers tape and bazinga instant storage :handgestures-thumbupleft:

As far as american french I find french goes better in brandies, rum also benifits from mix american/ french . For burbon or scotch I like all american oak.

Medium vs heavy i find medium more subtle, vanilla and other sweet flavours, good for rum or scotch vs heavy or even charred oak for burbon it has a much bolder oak flavour.
But there is always some exceptions and playing with charred oak in rum has produced some very nice spirit.

I blast spirit with oak in glass till aprox desired colour is achieved then long term age 12mnths or however long it lasts in a spent barrel.

For burbon new oak is always better!!

These are just my thoughts and personel prefer best advice if you like traditional spirits research and stick to traditional methods. If you want something different try charred french in scotch or rum or medium toast inna burbon..you may find something you like better..
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby dans.brew » Wed Sep 30, 2020 7:39 pm

Yeah i think i blew my budget years ago.. :laughing-rolling:
In regards to oak, the others have pretty much nailed it.
It's just a matter of trial and error really until you find what makes your taste buds sing.
You may even find putting some of your spirits on both oaks for a stint may be to your taste. Sky is the limit really. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
dans.brew

equipment: Pure Distilling Reflux Still
2" Pot Still with lieberg
4" x 4 plates Bubbler with 2"bubble caps on 50ltr keg boiler

Postby Wellsy » Wed Sep 30, 2020 8:37 pm

Thanks bluc
I will get me some of those taps. I also discovered an oak port barrel I have not used for years. It’s a 2 litre bench top with a tap. Guessing there is still a half litre of port in there but I think I just found a home for some of my first NGW spirit run.
Wellsy

Postby The Stig » Wed Sep 30, 2020 9:13 pm

Found these in Target .
Tap is steel , not sure if stainless , probably chrome Kate’s or some crap but seal looks to be silicone .
Nearly grabbed a couple but .........
A bit pricey but looks good
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The Stig
Site Nerd

equipment: Only the Best will Do.
Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby SWstill » Wed Sep 30, 2020 9:19 pm

Wellsy wrote:Hello SW my budget ended up smouldering Ruin lol
Cheapest I found are 3 litre jars from the reject shop here in vic for $5:00.

These will be perfect for short term solution, never even thought of the reject shop. Will be a good until we move and have a space for a dedicated setup. Love that you went from an Airstill to 4" 50L boiler :handgestures-thumbupleft:

bluc wrote:i find medium more subtle, vanilla and other sweet flavours, good for rum or scotch

Think i will go for American medium as a start and experiment over the next few years with the different types, after all that's the fun part of the hobby!

Excited to get the order in!
SWstill

Postby SWstill » Wed Sep 30, 2020 9:19 pm

Wellsy wrote:Hello SW my budget ended up smouldering Ruin lol
Cheapest I found are 3 litre jars from the reject shop here in vic for $5:00.

These will be perfect for short term solution, never even thought of the reject shop. Will be a good until we move and have a space for a dedicated setup. Love that you went from an Airstill to 4" 50L boiler :handgestures-thumbupleft:

bluc wrote:i find medium more subtle, vanilla and other sweet flavours, good for rum or scotch

Think i will go for American medium as a start and experiment over the next few years with the different types, after all that's the fun part of the hobby!

Excited to get the order in!
SWstill

Postby Wellsy » Thu Oct 01, 2020 5:59 am

When I lined up at the check out with 12 of them the woman said “oh are you doing some pickling ?” I simply said yes and did not tell her it was my liver that would be pickled if I drank it all at once
Wellsy

Postby SWstill » Thu Oct 01, 2020 5:30 pm

Picked up 2 packs of the 350ml jars today and 4 x 3 litre jars. Went with both the French and American Oak Medium in the end and will age a variety in the jars to see which works best.

Still setup has now been ordered (Pot & Boka) so only thing left to do is get my first couple of non turbo ferments underway and let the fun begin! :obscene-drinkingdrunk:
SWstill

Postby The Stig » Thu Oct 01, 2020 5:37 pm

Pot Head will be there in a few days :handgestures-thumbupleft:
The Stig
Site Nerd

Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby bluc » Thu Oct 01, 2020 7:33 pm

Wellsy wrote:When I lined up at the check out with 12 of them the woman said “oh are you doing some pickling ?” I simply said yes and did not tell her it was my liver that would be pickled if I drank it all at once

:laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby Wellsy » Thu Oct 01, 2020 8:07 pm

The Stig wrote:Pot Head will be there in a few days :handgestures-thumbupleft:

How do you know the delivery guy will be a dope head ?????
Wellsy

Postby The Stig » Fri Oct 02, 2020 5:49 am

Aren’t they all ?
The Stig
Site Nerd

Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Return to Oaking and Aging