Tasmanian Oak Aging

Discuss everything about oaking and aging here

Tasmanian Oak Aging

Postby Fusto » Wed May 19, 2021 2:26 pm

Hi all,

So...I have done a reasonable amount of searching but could not really find anything definitive on the use of Tasmanian Oak as aging wood.
I know it is a Eucalypt and there are 3 varieties.
I found a few articles where people started it but never really gave the results.

What I ended up doing was getting a plank from Bunnings (Not 100% sure which variety they sell), cutting it into 10 cm sections and then splitting each section into 3 staves using a chisel with the grain.
I am running a test on TSFFV diluted down to 55%.
My test jars are 1 litre of 55% ABV spirit with 1 stave (Approx. 10cm x 2cm x 2cm).

TESTS (12 in total):
Tasmanian Oak
1. Raw as is
2. Toasted at 125°C for 2 hours
3. Toasted at 180°C for 2 hours
4. Toasted at 215°C for 2 hours
5. Toasted at 215°C for 2 hours then Alligator charred
6. Not toasted, just Alligator charred
**Charring was only done to the 4 sides, NOT to the 2 ends***

The control jars are exactly the same but using American White Oak instead of Tasmanian Oak.

All spirit was from the same fermentation, run through a spirit run twice using a T500 Reflux with SS Saddles (Still Spirts brand) and left to breathe for 24 hours to ensure the cleanest spirit possible.
Cuts were made during the distillation and all hearts combined into a single pot to ensure the product in each of the 12 jars was exactly the same.
The jars are made from Soda Glass.

The goal here is to see the taste difference between American White Oak and Tasmanian Oak, and to see if it is viable to make the change considering Tasmanian Oak is much cheaper and easier to get for Australians.

I just put it all into the jars last night and thought the experiment might be interesting for others as well.

I will update this post once a week until the aging is done, and I will include some pictures with the posts once there is something to see :-)

I hope you find this post useful.

Cheers
Fusto

equipment: T500 with reflux and alembic

Re: Tasmanian Oak Aging

Postby Sam. » Wed May 19, 2021 2:46 pm

Fusto wrote:Hi all,
I found a few articles where people started it but never really gave the results.

I have always been led to believe the eucalypts are poisonous? :think:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby Fusto » Wed May 19, 2021 2:52 pm

Sam. wrote:
Fusto wrote:Hi all,

I have always been led to believe the eucalypts are poisonous? :think:

I hope not :o
From what I have learned in my research it seems to be safe as we are only using the wood with no bark or leaves.
That being said, if anyone knows a way I can safely test the result I am happy to give it a try when it is done.

If I go blind...just remember I did it for science!!! :crying-blue:
Fusto

Postby Sam. » Wed May 19, 2021 2:59 pm

I have never bothered to do any proper research myself but there has been a lot of talk in the past about it being toxic.

Obviously the leaves are not good for much. Have you got any references from your research? I would be interested to have a read :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.

Postby Fusto » Wed May 19, 2021 3:48 pm

Sam. wrote:I have never bothered to do any proper research myself but there has been a lot of talk in the past about it being toxic.

Obviously the leaves are not good for much. Have you got any references from your research? I would be interested to have a read :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Hi Sam,

On hand I have the below (The rest of my research not being recorded when I found it unfortunately):

https://www.bundabergrum.com.au/bundaberg-red-rum-700ml.html#description
This indicates they filter through Red Gum which is also a Eucalyptus.

I have no problem dumping the test if it is toxic.
I even called Victorian Poisons Information Centre to check with them, but they only deal with medications, chemicals and animal bites...
Fusto

Postby BSC_Kilby » Wed May 19, 2021 5:03 pm

There are two types of leaves I am aware of that are safe to use in distillation for drinking alcohol, but I would be very sceptical regarding the wood itself. I know of a local distillery that aged rye in a cask made of red gum, but that's the only one I am aware of.
BSC_Kilby

equipment: Big still

Postby Sam. » Wed May 19, 2021 5:17 pm

That bundy if filtered through red gum charcoal meaning that have burnt the shit out of the wood to make charcoal, pretty sure this process would drive off most nasties present. And even if not running it quicly through a filter is different to aging for an extensive period.
Sam.
Lifetime Member

18 Gal boiler.

Postby JeremyF » Wed May 19, 2021 5:32 pm

From https://www.rch.org.au/

Eucalyptus oil is a popular household product, commonly presented as an essential oil, medicinal product, cleaning product, inhalational/vaporiser fluid or topical preparation.

Pharmacokinetics:
Onset within 30 mins to 4 hours post ingestion
Duration of symptoms: usually resolve within 24 hours

Dose related toxicity: Even small ingestions of pure oil can lead to severe symptoms. In a dose of 2-3 mL; can expect mild CNS depression with drowsiness and/or dizziness and ataxia. In a dose of ≥5 mL can expect significant CNS depression with coma

From Wikipedia (so it must be true)

Essential oil
The leaves are steam distilled to extract eucalyptus oil. E. globulus is the primary source of global eucalyptus oil production, with China being the largest commercial producer.[31][32] The oil has therapeutic, perfumery, flavoring, antimicrobial and biopesticide properties.[33][34][35] Oil yield ranges from 1.0-2.4% (fresh weight), with cineole being the major isolate. E. globulus oil has established itself internationally because it is virtually phellandrene free, a necessary characteristic for internal pharmaceutical use.[36] In 1870, Cloez identified and ascribed the name "eucalyptol" — now more often called cineole — to the dominant portion of E. globulus oil.[37]

------------

As the leaves contain the highest concentration of oil in the plant, the timber should contain less but for arguments sake lets say you have wood with 2.4% eucalyptus and you manage to extract it all and you use 100 g of wood in litre of "liquid" that's 2.4g of oil in 1L of liquid. If you drank all of it say over 2-3 hours you could expect central nervous system depression with drowsiness and ataxia (lack of muscle control) from the oil.

I didn't look up the effects of drinking 1 L of 50% alcohol but I figure that would give you a similar set of symptoms. I'll keep looking to see if I can find the eucalyptus content of the timber.

Don't drink 2L or the oil content will have you in a coma...
JeremyF

equipment: Beer brewer who's got some gin in mind and a DIY build

Postby The Stig » Wed May 19, 2021 6:22 pm

I wouldn’t be using eucalyptus to age
The Stig
Site Nerd

equipment: Only the Best will Do.
Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby BSC_Kilby » Thu May 20, 2021 10:55 am

Exactly what Stig said. I know that eucalyptus from specific trees has been used for years as an ingredient to boost the perception of Juniper in flavour and aroma across many products including gin. I'f you don't know which ones or how much is safe, don't use it.
BSC_Kilby

equipment: Big still

Postby Fusto » Thu May 20, 2021 11:54 am

Hello All,

Many thanks for all the feedback ^:)^

I am officially killing this experiment due to the toxic risk.
All product will be disposed of safely.

Back to American and French Oak for me!

This is a major part of why I love the forums...a chance to interact and learn from others and (In this case) avoid potential health issues.
Thanks again all!

Cheers
Fusto

Postby Carree » Sun Nov 28, 2021 12:57 pm

Fusto wrote:Hello All,

Many thanks for all the feedback ^:)^

I am officially killing this experiment due to the toxic risk.
All product will be disposed of safely.

Back to American and French Oak for me!

This is a major part of why I love the forums...a chance to interact and learn from others and (In this case) avoid potential health issues.
Thanks again all!

Cheers

Have you found a better Aussie substitute?
Carree

equipment: T500 and just purchased a AlcoEngine attachment

Return to Oaking and Aging