Different oaks

Discuss everything about oaking and aging here

Different oaks

Postby reknaw » Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:57 am

I was using new American Oak for rum but awhile back I started using wine barrel staves, the wine that has soaked into the wood makes a subtle difference, not a lot of difference but you can pick a subtle change.

With the whiskey I just made I used new American oak but charred it a lot more tan normal, I have done next to nothing with the whiskey made from grain so I am looking forward to trying a few different things.

It's all about experimenting, I am going to do another run this afternoon and make some more whiskey so I have some more stuff to experiment with :)

Pic of the wine barrel staves ready to split and char.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
reknaw

Re: Different oaks

Postby reknaw » Fri Apr 08, 2011 1:26 pm

Oak split into sticks for putting in a demijohn and ready to be charred, I'll put up a photo of it once it's charred, you could also put it in the oven and toast it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
reknaw

Postby rumby » Sun Apr 10, 2011 5:28 pm

Spud, good to see you might have sharpened your tomahawk. I did a nuetral run yesterday, and sat 10l on rum essence and uncharred oak I got of you, these seems to have been the best overall, I think, so many options, soo little time.
rumby

equipment: CC reflux still

Postby reknaw » Sun Apr 10, 2011 6:17 pm

Yeah raw oak for rum, so much you can do, I think Jamacan Rum uses raw oak, then they add caramel etc. As you said so much to try and so little time. I wouldn't mind trying a spiced rum to.

Has anyone done a good spiced rum?
reknaw

Return to Oaking and Aging