Reusing French oak

Discuss everything about oaking and aging here

Reusing French oak

Postby NoHope » Thu Jan 26, 2023 9:58 am

I have medium toast French oak from FSD and the work really well and would like to know if I can reuse them if so how many times and can they be “ retoasted “ if so how is this done also what would the preferred time to soak spirit in I understand that it’s personal choice I’ve been soaking for a month now but what I’ve been reading much longer is better Cheers
NoHope

equipment: T 500 25Ltr Boiler
4inch modular pot still
50 litre milk can boiler

Re: Reusing French oak

Postby BigRig » Thu Jan 26, 2023 12:07 pm

Yes you can reuse the oak, it will impart less colour the more times you use it but it will still have the reactions in the spirit you are looking for from the oak but will take longer. I personally go for a minimum of 12 months on anything i make.

I have charred some with a blow torch but otherwise i haven't retoasted and just used it as is. If you are looking for "value" you could use half new and half 2nd/3rd use etc.

There is an oak toasting chart which you can find here somewhere or on the internet.
BigRig

equipment: FSD 4" Mac SSG, 50L Milk Can, 2 x 2400w elements, 35L Digiboil Boiler, Airstill.

Re: Reusing French oak

Postby Birdman85 » Thu Jan 26, 2023 8:09 pm

I reuse alot of mine but as Bigrig suggested i halve it with new as well.

You should get the same colour from re-toasted oak, i think its the flavours that will change. You wont get that caramelly addition.
Birdman85

equipment: 50L keg boiler, home made modular 2" pot still and CCVM.

Turbo500 (birthday gift)

Return to Oaking and Aging