What the hell is happening to my aged peach schnapps?

Discuss everything about oaking and aging here

Postby BackyardBrewer » Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:51 pm

Hey this is 60% neutral with a few tins of cheap home brand peaches (syrup & all).

I filtered and strained half and put it in the freezer and it is like jelly.

I just went back to the shed to check on the other half and there is a weird lumpy bubbly chunk floating on the top - see pic.

WTF is this? How could a mold/bacteria survive in 60% alc? Is this now poison? Do I need to re-distill this?

Help! Eek! I've been aging 2.5L of this for a month.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1343209888.715618.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
BackyardBrewer
Site Donor

equipment: Solid Copper Love Machine (Plated column bubbler), hand made with love by a forum member
50L keg boiler with 2 x 2400w elements
PURE distilling Reflux still + a tonne of homebrew gear amassed over 10 years of brewing.

Re: What the hell is happening to my aged peach schnapps?

Postby crow » Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:47 pm

if its 60% doubt it , wild guess but could it be pectin from the syrup congealing kinda looks like that from the pic
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby BackyardBrewer » Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:51 pm

Huh. Didn't even think of pectin. Cheap Chinese peaches with syrup as opposed to fresh which is what I usually do...
BackyardBrewer
Site Donor

equipment: Solid Copper Love Machine (Plated column bubbler), hand made with love by a forum member
PURE distilling Reflux still + a tonne of homebrew gear amassed over 10 years of brewing.

Postby crow » Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:09 pm

:doh: they grow thousands of aches of em in SA :violence-stickwhack:
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby MacStill » Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:31 pm

Drink it, I would :D
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby BackyardBrewer » Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:32 pm

Yeah seasonal tho. No fresh peaches in May in South Australia when I chucked this down (brother in law loves the fruit schnapps / infusions so I do loads for him).

Note to self: no cheap imports in the TPW neutral!

:-)
BackyardBrewer
Site Donor

Postby crow » Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:43 pm

lucky bastard , have ya got another sister :teasing-tease: kidding edit sorta
crow

Postby BackyardBrewer » Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:50 pm

Wife's brother - no spare wife I'm afraid!

Who
Could
Handle
Two
??
:-)
BackyardBrewer
Site Donor

Postby bigwheel » Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:08 am

Hey..thinking you might have a ferment setting up in the jars. It usually comes from where the fruit is poking above the level of the liquid. If that do be the problem a common prevention strategy is to flip the jars end for end each day or two. Say a day or two sitting on the base and an equal amount of time sitting upside down on the lids. That will normally keep the fruit from doing that nonsense. That be for next time. Not sure about the current batch. May need to feed it to the Roos..lol. If the fruit is fully submerged that aint it. G'day mate. Keeps us informed. Thanks.

BackyardBrewer wrote:Hey this is 60% neutral with a few tins of cheap home brand peaches (syrup & all).

I filtered and strained half and put it in the freezer and it is like jelly.

I just went back to the shed to check on the other half and there is a weird lumpy bubbly chunk floating on the top - see pic.

WTF is this? How could a mold/bacteria survive in 60% alc? Is this now poison? Do I need to re-distill this?

Help! Eek! I've been aging 2.5L of this for a month.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1343209888.715618.jpg
bigwheel

equipment: 3" Brewhaus SS combo reflux/pot still..15 gallon milk bucket boiler. Copper mesh packing.

Return to Oaking and Aging