Nothing that wood and time won't fix

Discuss everything about oaking and aging here

Nothing that wood and time won't fix

Postby ChefRo » Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:48 pm

My poison of choice when I am not at home is JD. Which Is a drinkable drop IMO, but straight off the still it Is very shite. Just a good example on how good your drop can be after a bit of time , oak and their charkhole mellowing
Pic for proof or any one that wants a smell that's in the local area.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1346420746.254290.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ChefRo

equipment: 50l 2inch pot
90l S/S Bubbler
power controller
running out of bells and whistles to get

Re: Nothing that wood and time won't fix

Postby crow » Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:37 am

It is my belief the charcoal is for filtering in the same way some ppl carbon filter (pretty sure JD uses maple to smooth things out). Then they age it for yrs in oak . EG did an experiment oaking early tails , it made them better but not good , however the experiment was not the waste of time he thought it would be as when he ran these oaked faints through a plated still they came through cleaned up but with the aged oak flavor intact making them the best stuff in his opinion he ever produced . Sounds like the way to go for faints if you own one of these stills
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Re: Nothing that wood and time won't fix

Postby nb0s » Sat Sep 01, 2012 11:19 am

Good tip Croweater

:handgestures-thumbupleft:
nb0s

equipment: Alex N25 Reflux / pot

Return to Oaking and Aging