sheoak

Discuss everything about oaking and aging here

sheoak

Postby emtherion » Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:09 pm

Hi guys, I've goggled, and nothing about this type of oak at all. Well, i've got my hands on a fair bit of sheoak strait from a tree and wondering if its safe to use to soak spirits in. I do know people use it to cook with. So I am assuming it should be ok with a bit of roasting. If anyone has a few tips about roasting it, would be appreciated as well. I only have an wood oven to do in.
Many thanks in advance.
emtherion

equipment: T500 condenser and boiler

Re: sheoak

Postby JayD » Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:12 pm

I have wondered about the use of our own oaks ? What I have observed is a treeworker with blisters up his arms after working with this Genus. This was an allergic reaction some experience after contact with this type of tree. Because its known to cause allergic reactions in some folks I would tread real careful and do my homework before using it.she oak

I would investigate the characteristics of American white oak American white oak Quercus alba This is the Genus they use for American Oak Barrels.

this probably does not answer your question but does highlight the need for caution here.
J
JayD

equipment: JayD's Copper Worx

Postby Kimbo » Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:58 pm

Sheoak is not an Oak in the true sense of the word (Like Tassie Oak).
Although i have heard of barrels being made from them because they are not a Eucalypt (like tassie oak)and pose similar properties to American Oak
only one way to find out i guess, if it were me, i would do a side by side comparison. ;-)
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" bubbler with a 6"inline thumper

Postby emtherion » Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:30 pm

Well I did look up allergic reactions to the sheoak, can't find much info about it except pollen related. I did however find that silky oak has blistering reactions. http://www.wood-database.com/wood-articles/wood-allergies-and-toxicity/. Sheoak doesnt seem to be listed here and other sites seem to suggest no toxicity. I'll def need to give this a go at least a small amount to try first and see how it compares. But cheers for the heads up on the caution, wise words :), cant say it crossed my mind to look into that.
emtherion

Postby Kimbo » Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:31 pm

Keep us posted em :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" bubbler with a 6"inline thumper

Postby MacStill » Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:32 pm

Tread carefully mate, a lot of toxins can be found in many plants :handgestures-thumbupleft:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby emptyglass » Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:34 pm

Sheoak sounds a bit girly.

Dont use it till you are sure.

Well, use it, but don't drink it till you are sure.
emptyglass

Postby emtherion » Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:50 pm

Will certainly be cautious. I do know people cook with it, so, that's actually what gave me this idea.
emtherion

Postby Firedragon » Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:54 pm

Something I learned about sheoak is that native Australians eat it to stop or help out with thirst. The needles of this tree are consumed and it has something in it to stimulate the saliva glands. Don't know how this helps but it is considered 'bush tucker'.
Another thing I learnt was that there are male and female types of this tree.
Firedragon

equipment: Airstill

Postby emtherion » Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:59 pm

Heres something I just found, seems its been tried before..well for wine anyway.

Meanwhile, in early Australia, native trees such as the eucalypt, acacia, karri, jarrah, stringy bark and she-oak proved to be suited for the construction of very large vats and barrels but did little to enhance wine.

I found this at http://www.nicks.com.au/index.aspx?link_id=76.1499

interesting.
emtherion

Postby crow » Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:01 am

Sheoak :roll: She ain't oak bud it gets its name from being similar looking wood as does th desert oak and black oak which are related to each other but apart from both being trees is not in anyway related to the quircus genius . silky oak is different again from any of these and is in fact a giant gravilea , an acacia and not likely to be suitable. the leaves of sheoak make ya mouth feel dry kinda like eating raw quince to the power of 5 , reckon I'd be wary of using it to flavour a drink. make sure you really look into this first and don't be ever slightly led by the oak name here
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby SBB » Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:29 am

McStill wrote:Tread carefully mate, a lot of toxins can be found in many plants :handgestures-thumbupleft:

:text-+1:
Id be steering clear of the stuff.
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby Cane Toad » Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:50 am

Me too :handgestures-thumbupleft: I do enough damage to myself using American or French oak :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:
Cane Toad

equipment: where's my football :(

Postby emtherion » Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:38 am

well you guys talked me out of it lol. Although I wouldn't mind finding out some tree's I can grow to get a nice flavor. back to the books it seems hmm
emtherion

Postby crow » Sun Dec 09, 2012 3:05 am

mulberry, peach, apricot, apple but ya can't leave some of them in to long apparently of they send it bitter so I'm told. I got a mind to try santalium (sandalwoods) too and in the same family quongdong. Chestnut is another good one that ya can age long term in, the only reason its only used for short term barrel aging is excessive loss.the other two i can think of are maple and hickory (pecan) . Its my belief that peach, nectarine and almond (all closely related enough to cross them) contain some cyanide in the gum so I wouldn't have them soaking long at all but I might be wrong :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Edit Oh yeah some ppl use grape vine but having tasted it I would have to say fuck that shit
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby kiwikeg » Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:49 am

Heres some research on NZ timbers for oaking wines
http://aut.researchgateway.ac.nz/handle/10292/2559

Full thesis here
http://aut.researchgateway.ac.nz/bitstr ... sequence=3

Acknowlegements: Kaushal, Mona

Not sure what is availible in australia
here ones i have tried
Podocarpus totara (tōtara) is good
Agathus australis (kauri) is frikken mouth puckeringly not good
plum is very good

Edit fixed link
kiwikeg

equipment: Fsd bubbler

Postby crow » Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:11 pm

kiwikeg wrote:Agathus australis (kauri) is frikken mouth puckeringly not good

:laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: Kauri is a big old gum tree that grows around Pemberton way in the high forrests of WA it would taste like nanna's sore throat concoction minus the sugar :icon-lol: :icon-lol: :icon-lol:
crow

Postby kiwikeg » Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:24 pm

croweater wrote:

:laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: Kauri is a big old gum tree that grows around Pemberton way in the high forrests of WA it would taste like nanna's sore throat concoction minus the sugar :icon-lol: :icon-lol: :icon-lol:

yeah my mate had got a 50l barrel specially made from kauri so that he could create a true NZ bourbon after 6months it was bad bad bad. but we drank all of it 8-}
kiwikeg

equipment: Fsd bubbler

Postby MacStill » Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:34 pm

croweater wrote:

High forrests in WA are only 2m above sea level :laughing-rolling:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby crow » Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:18 am

aaaaaaah yeah look this is an embarrassing half cocked crow thing :oops: :oops: Karrie is a big old gum and kauri is a pine still not going to say it would much good but I need to read thing properly before I :teasing-blah: :teasing-blah: :teasing-blah: so humble apologies to kiwikeg and I'll just crawl back under my rock :doh:
crow

Next

Return to Oaking and Aging