more char = darker spirit?

Discuss everything about oaking and aging here

Postby invisigoth » Tue Dec 25, 2012 9:21 pm

i used still spirits bourbon staves recently for some rum using about the surface area suggested in the hooks rum recipe. after 2 months the level of oakyness seemed about right, but the colour was a bit more pale than i would like. i'm trying to avoid adding caramel to darken it. would charring the other surfaces of the pieces result in a darker spirit?
invisigoth

equipment: bte cm reflux head
5l pure distilling pot still
t500 boiler +extra pure distilling lid
diy phase angle controller
diy output extension tube+parrot
3 plate modular macbubbler

Re: more char = darker spirit?

Postby bt1 » Wed Dec 26, 2012 5:54 am

Howdy,

yep your on the right track. A few things here.

Alligator char(a complete char causing timber surface to craze in small squares /oblong shapes based around timber grain) is best done on thinner strips of timber and finished with on a LPG ring burner or Butane torch, I use the torch as get better coverage.
These are what I term colouring strips. They're there for colour and not longer term flavouring. They are added at the rate of 2-3 per 5lt of spirit for approx. 2+ weeks to 1 month for colouring. Then removed leaving thicker less charred strips in for ageing.

Trick with these colouring strips is they can be very smoky and really upset the flavour balance. Dip them in boiling water for a sec or two only so submerged with a pair of food tongs given them a shake about, remove quickly and allow to sun dry then add. it removes the over the top smokiness. If you boil for to long the boiling water discolours quickly and you loose part of the colouring impact they will have.

bt1
bt1

equipment: 2 x Glass Bubblers, 5 plate 89mm & 6 plate 110mm
4" 6 plate copper bubbler, 500mm copper packed section
Several pots, custom boiler
14 keg rotating brew setup, fermentation & dispenser fridges.

Re: more char = darker spirit?

Postby Kimbo » Wed Dec 26, 2012 4:51 pm

One thing I have found with ageing is when it tastes good I bottle it, the colour is irrelevant really.
Some just turn out darker than others. ;-)
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" bubbler with a 6"inline thumper

Postby Urrazeb » Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:17 pm

Kimbo wrote:One thing I have found with ageing is when it tastes good I bottle it, the colour is irrelevant really. ;-)

yep that's what I do! :D that's the only thing to really go by, colour of course is a bit of a guide
Urrazeb

equipment: Column & pot

Return to Oaking and Aging