Over Oaked DWWG

Discuss everything about oaking and aging here

Over Oaked DWWG

Postby Linny » Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:35 pm

finally tasted it tonight , smells great.... tastes terrible. I think i over oaked it , but aparently you can ride through that flavour with time ??? do i cut my losses and reflux it to a neutral or try to fix it. It seems to have this weird vanilla , headsy ??? taste that just sits on the tongue long after each sip.

Any suggestions ?

I was going to give a bottle to my old man, but now im too embarrassed ... I'll just have to give him a essence. I really wanted to give him something that i made from scratch. owell. so far i think its only good for starting fires lol
Linny

equipment: 4 Plate 3" Glass Bubbler - 50L Boiler
50L BIAB Temp Controlled Mash Tun

3" Carter Head Soon to Come

Over Oaked DWWG

Postby BackyardBrewer » Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:17 pm

Why don't you cut it with your next run? You throw some premium hearts into that and it would soften it up a treat.

What have you got in the fermenter?
BackyardBrewer
Site Donor

equipment: Solid Copper Love Machine (Plated column bubbler), hand made with love by a forum member
50L keg boiler with 2 x 2400w elements
PURE distilling Reflux still + a tonne of homebrew gear amassed over 10 years of brewing.

Re: Over Oaked DWWG

Postby Cane Toad » Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:19 pm

:text-+1:
Cane Toad

equipment: where's my football :(

Postby Linny » Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:22 pm

BackyardBrewer wrote:Why don't you cut it with your next run? You throw some premium hearts into that and it would soften it up a treat.

What have you got in the fermenter?

i got first gen UJSM on... ive also got another 1.5 L 60% of DWWG which i just put on a stick... probably have some TPW laying around

Think its worth adding the rest of DWWG , or the TPW
Linny

Over Oaked DWWG

Postby BackyardBrewer » Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:33 pm

If it was me I'd be cautious and use BOTH. You might lack a little flavour and depth, but you'll get a consistent and reliable tasty product out of this.
BackyardBrewer
Site Donor

equipment: Solid Copper Love Machine (Plated column bubbler), hand made with love by a forum member
PURE distilling Reflux still + a tonne of homebrew gear amassed over 10 years of brewing.

Postby Linny » Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:34 pm

cheers , reckon i should let it breathe again afterwards ?
Linny

Over Oaked DWWG

Postby BackyardBrewer » Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:42 pm

Linny I have experimented time and time again tasting my liquor early and I will never ever be convinced that booze after 2 minutes is better than booze aired after 48 hours.

I cap mine with paper towels and wait 2 days and the difference is huge.
BackyardBrewer
Site Donor

Postby crow » Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:10 pm

if its headsy maybe its got heads in it in which care you may grow old waiting to see an improvement and blending will slightly down grade your UJ. This is not the way I would go really , why not to be safe throw it in with ya UJ run , that is what I would do
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby Cane Toad » Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:15 pm

If you've got drinking stock,I'm with Crow :handgestures-thumbupleft: If you ain't got drinking stock,mix it with coke :laughing-rolling: Coca cola that is,the other might not be too bad either :scared-eek: :scared-eek:
Cane Toad

equipment: where's my football :(

Postby Linny » Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:35 pm

i ended up mixing the fresh DWWG with the over oaked, so i ended up with about 6L @ 38% . added 500ml of TPW to water down the colour. gave it a shake and had a taste..... much better already. its not perfect but im happy enough to put it on the shelf. that vanilla taste is there but alot more subtle.
do you think that is the timber ?
Linny

Over Oaked DWWG

Postby Urrazeb » Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:04 am

What was ur ageing method linny? What ratio did ya use and for how long?

Adding a lighter liquor to over oaked is the easy way, as others have said if u run it again with some wash or low wines you'll have a chance to make the proper cuts and add the right amount of oak.

We sometimes have to accept our mistakes and make good of them the long way.

Raw unaged oak will give some really unwelcome flavours, if u source ur own oak make sure it's natural and dry
Urrazeb

equipment: Column & pot

Postby Linny » Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:25 pm

the sticks(domino's) are fine , i wont mention where i got them... was about 100g(3 sticks) to 1.5L @ 60 %. Im guessing its way too much, and with the 40 *C heats ,,, just sped it up waaaay too much. I originally thought it was headsy , but it wasnt. just over oaked to the shit house
Linny

Postby bluess57 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:31 pm

Linny wrote:the sticks(domino's) are fine , i wont mention where i got them... was about 100g(3 sticks) to 1.5L @ 60 %. Im guessing its way too much, and with the 40 *C heats ,,, just sped it up waaaay too much. I originally thought it was headsy , but it wasnt. just over oaked to the shit house

I'm using 2 dominos in 3L @65% after reading too many over oaking posts, tend to be conservative.
bluess57

equipment: keg boiler - 4" copper bubbler

Postby Lowndsey » Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:35 pm

I have never really understood about over oaking...maybe someone can explain it to me in a language I can understand. Alcohol gets left in barrels for 5, 10, 15 ..how ever many years...how does putting a few too many sticks in a demi of likker over oak it after a matter of weeks or months? I would have thought a barrel has a lot more surface area than a shitload of oak sticks or dominoes.
Lowndsey

equipment: 2" Bokka

Postby bluess57 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:47 pm

aging barrels are like 300L and the spirit only contacts the wood grain on the interior surface of the staves of the barrel.
oak sticks/dominoes have 2 surfaces, plus the end grain is exposed.
As the grain is how a tree pumps water from roots to leaves, I reckon it is adding to oak surface (basically additional surface area think m^2 versus m^3).
If the volume of liquid to surface area percentages where calculated out, wonder how they would stack up.
Anyway thats my uneducated take on it at this point.
bluess57

equipment: keg boiler - 4" copper bubbler

Postby bt1 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:56 pm

A hogshead has jack surface area to volume contact.

We accelerate the process with higher surface area, agitation, distress heat treatment and alike.

Great cos we get several months/years aging for a product we can't keep for 4 + years in most cases.

In fact if you really want to taste it, get a 6m length of 50mm poly pipe cement it in your back yard, make a flat table with a 100mm hole in centre, add a flag or in my case old tea towel to end, lash a 9lt or larger keg to it, let the wind rock it for 2 months...love windy nights for some reason ????? then you'll taste over oaking...but it's a great blender for young stuff.

bt1
bt1

equipment: 2 x Glass Bubblers, 5 plate 89mm & 6 plate 110mm
4" 6 plate copper bubbler, 500mm copper packed section
Several pots, custom boiler
14 keg rotating brew setup, fermentation & dispenser fridges.

Postby crow » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:55 pm

yes some of the Americans age by hanging the barrel from a tree, does make sense that it would speed things up cause I bet it makes them angels thirst
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby Lowndsey » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:56 pm

crow wrote:yes some of the Americans age by hanging the barrel from a tree,

I guess they don't live in cyclone territory lol
Lowndsey

equipment: 2" Bokka

Return to Oaking and Aging