American oak good deal!

Discuss everything about oaking and aging here

American oak good deal!

Postby bt1 » Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:24 pm

Howdy,

Popped into Tubbies in Adelaide Hills this arvo...here's the deal

Mt Crawford Rd Williamstown SA 5351
(08) 8524 6933

$8 for a 10kg bag American oak, cut to manageable sizes read to go...Yep that .80c per kg :D
IMAG0002.jpg

IMAG0001.jpg

So if you prefer to toast /char to your own preference this is a seriously good price.

bt1
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
bt1

equipment: 2 x Glass Bubblers, 5 plate 89mm & 6 plate 110mm
4" 6 plate copper bubbler, 500mm copper packed section
Several pots, custom boiler
14 keg rotating brew setup, fermentation & dispenser fridges.

Re: American oak good deal!

Postby MacStill » Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:42 pm

Great find mate, that's awesome :handgestures-thumbupleft:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby Hobo » Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:50 pm

That's a wicked deal bt1, I expect to be using lots of oak chips for my flavourin, do you reckon the would post em? I guess it would be quite expensive postage eh?
I could ring em seeing as you posted contact details.. Thanks

I thought with pieces this size you could get the ol electric planer out set on savage cut mode and chip em that way, just keep those fingers out of the way!

:text-thankyoublue:
Hobo

Location: Aussie Drifter.\ Hometown Melbourne, currently Central Qld
equipment: Home made Copper Reflux still, 50l keg boiler, 2inch x 850mm column packed with stainless scrubbers and reverse liebig condenser. 95% and stoked!

American oak good deal!

Postby BackyardBrewer » Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:58 pm

Good score! Its times like this that it's good to live in South Australia.

Have they got any French oak?
BackyardBrewer
Site Donor

equipment: Solid Copper Love Machine (Plated column bubbler), hand made with love by a forum member
50L keg boiler with 2 x 2400w elements
PURE distilling Reflux still + a tonne of homebrew gear amassed over 10 years of brewing.

Postby bt1 » Sat Apr 27, 2013 4:48 pm

Not sure but expect so BB,

give him a call tomorrow...open 10am to 3pm

bt1
bt1

Postby bt1 » Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:42 am

The 3 amigo's of ageing

Full char, Heavy toast and Medium toast...shit that's a bout .10c worth for the whole tin packed!

IMAG0003.jpg

bt1
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
bt1

American oak good deal!

Postby baldoss » Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:01 am

Always gotta go one better don't you bt :))
baldoss

equipment: 2" copper pot still with liebig condenser on 50L ss keg boiler (gas)

Postby crow » Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:12 am

@ Hobo from QLD mate you might be better off looking at offcuts from a QLD cooper. There are at least 3 or 4 up there . I know one is called Roll out the barrel and there are several others, freight will be a deal buster for you :handgestures-thumbupleft:
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby Canadoz » Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:31 am

Anybody nearby willing to buy and ship on behalf of members? maybe some of us could split some bags or something, that is if anyone Is kind enough to offer. Just thought I'd ask. :-D
Canadoz

equipment: Modified stainless Keggomax CM reflux column, Copper 2" modular pot still with shotgun condenser. 50L Keg boiler w/ 3500W & 2500W elements, Phase angle controller.

Postby bt1 » Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:34 am

bald,

that was not my intention... btw it's a local thing with wineries close by and not national.

Given the sanding, cutting, quick boil, chipping off the wine soak, toasting and charring and the two hours it took I reckon your on a good thing for a finished no hassle product.

bt1
bt1

Postby Hobo » Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:25 am

crow wrote:@ Hobo from QLD mate you might be better off looking at offcuts from a QLD cooper. There are at least 3 or 4 up there . I know one is called Roll out the barrel and there are several others, freight will be a deal buster for you :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Yeah I reckon it would be Crow, there is a cooperage at Bundaberg near the distillery. I have been to it, well worth a visit!
I might be down near the Yarra Valley soon, so I will just stick to the HBS wood chips for now.
Hobo

Location: Aussie Drifter.\ Hometown Melbourne, currently Central Qld
equipment: Home made Copper Reflux still, 50l keg boiler, 2inch x 850mm column packed with stainless scrubbers and reverse liebig condenser. 95% and stoked!

Postby baldoss » Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:41 pm

bt1 wrote:bald,

that was not my intention... btw it's a local thing with wineries close by and not national.

Given the sanding, cutting, quick boil, chipping off the wine soak, toasting and charring and the two hours it took I reckon your on a good thing for a finished no hassle product.

bt1

Hahah I'm just stirring mate, no offence intended :handgestures-thumbupleft: Great find! I'm still digging splinters out of my weak as piss office worker hands after bagging up all those dominos last week :laughing-rolling:
baldoss

equipment: 2" copper pot still with liebig condenser on 50L ss keg boiler (gas)

Postby vqstatesman » Tue May 28, 2013 9:22 pm

Thanks for posting this BT1. I went out there and bought a bag as soon as I read this. The guy seemed rather perplexed why he was receiving so many visitors from people making spirits :) So I had to tell him bout this thread.

I actually spent a little time talking to the guy, he was pretty damn friendly. Might go back there one day and buy an actual barrel from him.
vqstatesman

equipment: 4" Bubbler
150L Pressurised Bain Marie with built in agitator
50L Milk Can Boiler for small runs (feints)
T500 boiler repurposed as oversized decanter
Grainfather in the corner collecting dust

Postby bt1 » Tue May 28, 2013 9:57 pm

Howdy vq

he suggested it my word was given ..it was done...

Dam good price guess your happy?

he knows his stuff...especially American oaks.

Enjoy it does make a real nice dark char amongst others...

He went trough the several tests they do for barrels vs. slap em together and they leak...very clever stuff this and suits the market he's in.

bt1
bt1

Postby vqstatesman » Tue May 28, 2013 10:36 pm

bt1 wrote:Howdy vq

he suggested it my word was given ..it was done...

Dam good price guess your happy?

he knows his stuff...especially American oaks.

Enjoy it does make a real nice dark char amongst others...

He went trough the several tests they do for barrels vs. slap em together and they leak...very clever stuff this and suits the market he's in.

bt1

Yeah damn good price, he seems very legit and knowledgable. Only just had a chance now to bottle some neutral with the staves... time will tell the flavours etc but I'm feeling confident.
vqstatesman

equipment: 4" Bubbler
150L Pressurised Bain Marie with built in agitator
50L Milk Can Boiler for small runs (feints)
T500 boiler repurposed as oversized decanter
Grainfather in the corner collecting dust

Postby woodduck » Mon Oct 13, 2014 5:27 pm

Thanks for the heads up on this one bt1 :handgestures-thumbupleft:

I was going through williams town the other day so i dropped in and glad i did. I got 20 kg for $16, how good is that :dance: . I've just finished cutting them all up into about 15mm x 25mm 200 long. Wasn't sure what their ment to be just seemed to work out less wastage that way. I've now got some in the oven and cooking them at 200c for 2 hours and they smell good.

For all you SA people it's well worth a drive if you need oak. When i was there he had another 20 bags atleast so plenty for everyone.

I recon i might even go back for one of his kegs too when i perfect a good drink.
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Postby bt1 » Mon Oct 13, 2014 6:14 pm

Nice to here WD,

Try a few pulled out of the oven earlier = a medium toast... make great long termers and for softer styles like an Irish= my fave.

all toasted up
bt1
bt1

Postby woodduck » Mon Oct 13, 2014 6:37 pm

Yer i think I'll end up with a few like that anyway, my hooded bbq oven doesn't have the best heat disperment. The ones closer to the bottom will be a heavy toast i recon :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: I recon I'll char half of these as well and try both ways with the next lot of burbon i do so i can compare toast/ chared.

Btw can you reuse the oak once it's aged one lot of alc? I know that some distillerys use old burbon barrels for their scotch but what about bourbon?
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Postby Urrazeb » Mon Oct 13, 2014 6:41 pm

woodduck wrote:Yer i think I'll end up with a few like that anyway, my hooded bbq oven doesn't have the best heat disperment. The ones closer to the bottom will be a heavy toast i recon :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: I recon I'll char half of these as well and try both ways with the next lot of burbon i do so i can compare toast/ chared.

Btw can you reuse the oak once it's aged one lot of alc? I know that some distillerys use old burbon barrels for their scotch but what about bourbon?

Yeah mate I reuse oak all the time. Just gets hard to keep track of how long each piece has been in there if you mix em up
Urrazeb

equipment: Column & pot

Postby bt1 » Mon Oct 13, 2014 6:50 pm

More re uses the softer the impact I've found. if you have several toasts same effect by varying toast stick choice but vanillin's and timber impact I've found better on new timber.

As the smoker/briner/chef/guru = Urrazeb (Seriously bloody nice chook ...u ledge) raises a good point...pre used sticks I use for long term Irish's.

it's another personal choicer I reckon.

One thing old sticks are bloody great for...meat smoking on the smoker...very bloody nice.

stick to it :handgestures-thumbupleft:
bt1
bt1

Next

Return to Oaking and Aging