soaking oak for future use

Discuss everything about oaking and aging here

Postby bt1 » Sun Apr 28, 2013 5:24 pm

Howdy,

banged on about this before but with a heap of new members worth a re mention. If you have some time might pay to put down a couple of jars of port, sherry soaked timbers. takes a fair few months, will need a change of liquor at about the 2 month mark as it gets highly oaked.

Real nice for sub batches for blending to add complexity to your whiskey, scotches, rums even.

Couple hours and 150 sticks later...
XX-F6D2C078-579828-480-100.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
bt1

equipment: 2 x Glass Bubblers, 5 plate 89mm & 6 plate 110mm
4" 6 plate copper bubbler, 500mm copper packed section
Several pots, custom boiler
14 keg rotating brew setup, fermentation & dispenser fridges.

Re: soaking oak for future use

Postby 1 2many » Sun Apr 28, 2013 5:30 pm

Forget the thumbnails bt1 post some real pics ;-)
1 2many
Lifetime Member

equipment: Portable A.G brewery ,#001 5 STAR blockhead 4" Modular 4 plate SSG with,6"inline thumper, 2.5" 9 tube shotgun, packed section, Boiler 50 ltr inverted keg 4"still mount, 2.4 Kw FSD elements 1"drain.

Postby 1 2many » Sun Apr 28, 2013 5:56 pm

What about sharaz instead is it suitable, The port sounds good.
1 2many
Lifetime Member

equipment: Portable A.G brewery ,#001 5 STAR blockhead 4" Modular 4 plate SSG with,6"inline thumper, 2.5" 9 tube shotgun, packed section, Boiler 50 ltr inverted keg 4"still mount, 2.4 Kw FSD elements 1"drain.

Postby BackyardBrewer » Sun Apr 28, 2013 6:06 pm

1 2many wrote:Forget the thumbnails bt1 post some real pics ;-)

+1 these are tiny on the iPhone. Give me detail!

So do you rechar? Or just dry them? Or toss them in wet straight from the sherry?
BackyardBrewer
Site Donor

equipment: Solid Copper Love Machine (Plated column bubbler), hand made with love by a forum member
50L keg boiler with 2 x 2400w elements
PURE distilling Reflux still + a tonne of homebrew gear amassed over 10 years of brewing.

Postby bt1 » Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:13 pm

Can't speak for wines guys...I remove the wine soak on staves cos it's already used by the wine.. it wants the same fresh timber as my whiskies do.

I use them wet, I tried dried but does not have the same effect. If you take Jamesons they import full with sherry re bottle it I guess and bang their own whisky straight in.
I think the ex bourbons they bring in empty, steam clean and then refill. I don't recall any recharring or re conditioning that some use. On the UK site they go into a fare bit of detail about the blending and impacts of the three timbers.

depending on your taste prefs try any toast or a part to full dark char...I prefer a full char..the edge comes off the sticks while soaking ...by the time they've drowned and sunk to the bottom they're real good for sub batches.

The sherry is light in colour but is sharp.

The port lot from last year I can't speak for cos I kinda lost track in the storage department...did have a couple of standouts but F'd if I can track it now...

Just a reminder to change the liquor after 2 months it gets real heavy scented and rank...or leave it in for a real taste punch...

I enjoy blending side of it...batches, timbers etc I'm trialling cherry currently......you get to tailor what you drink...once you find your prefs you can produce to that need.

enjoy cos it's a bit of fun
bt1
bt1

Postby Brendan » Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:22 pm

I've mentioned it quite a lot, but due to the relevance of this topic, I'll mention it again.

I have a few litres of Olorosso Sherry soaking in my 25L French Oak barrel, which I rotate on a daily basis. Has been in there for almost 4 months, and after 6 months, will be filling it with single malt whisky.

Hopefully it's amazing :D
Brendan

equipment: 4.99L Essential oil extractor

Postby TheMechwarrior » Thu May 29, 2014 3:25 pm

BT, I know this is an old post but I'm interested in imparting port/sherry undertones to whisky and thought of soaking my American staves in Port/Sherry for some time prior to dropping those staves in to my whisky.

In my brief search of these forums you appear to be the guru on the subject.
Is it as simple as I've just described?

Cheers,

Mech.
TheMechwarrior

equipment: Five Star Distilling 6" neutraliser with
100L boiler

Postby bt1 » Fri May 30, 2014 7:47 am

Yep, it is..

start with cheaper spirit and throw at 2 month mark. Then refill with a better quality.

I use a dry then a cream sherry for mine. After bout a year timber strips depending on width of course do get a little crumbly so suggest make them about 5 -6 mm thick to avoid.

that's it as described.

cheers
bt1
bt1

Postby Andy » Fri May 30, 2014 2:37 pm

hmm i remember Captain Morgans releasing a sherry rum. might be worth a try :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Andy

equipment: Copper Potstill on a 50L keg boiler with a 2200w element.
Doesn't get more simple then that

Return to Oaking and Aging