Long term aging

Discuss everything about oaking and aging here

Long term aging

Postby Jonno » Wed May 22, 2013 6:03 pm

Hey lads,

I've got my first child coming in august this year :handgestures-thumbupleft: and wanting to make up a bwko for him on. I'm wanting to do this batch and age for some 18-21 years. I'm thinking of putting away between 1-5L for the long haul.

What's your suggestions on say the bottle/jar type? and how many dominos for that sorta aging?

Cheers lads :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Jonno

Re: Long term aging

Postby Brendan » Wed May 22, 2013 6:09 pm

For that kind of time investment Johnno, I'd say get yourself a barrel :handgestures-thumbupleft:

I'd also be thinking for any Bourbon, 21 years on the smallest amount of oak might even be too much...might more be a case of oak it for 4 years or so, and let it sit and mellow/age for the rest...
Brendan

equipment: 4.99L Essential oil extractor

Postby Jonno » Wed May 22, 2013 6:45 pm

I was thinkin of getting the barrel but ive read a few things where ppl have lost abv. Anyone else with experience on this?
Jonno

Postby Brendan » Wed May 22, 2013 7:25 pm

People whinge about losing spirit and ABV, but it's proven that it's the nasty compounds that evaporate out or are adsorbed by the charcoal on the oak...sealing in glass jars lets none of this process happen of course...
Brendan

equipment: 4.99L Essential oil extractor

Postby Linny » Wed May 22, 2013 7:27 pm

you will always will lose ABV in a barrell, thats why they call it the angels cut :angelic-flying: , but unfortunately this is the process that makes a good drink a great drink. most companies age at 63% . but to offset the angels cut you need to increase the volume... If your looking at a magic drink for your child , dont take short cuts ... do something that you will be proud of :handgestures-thumbupleft: good luck
Linny

equipment: 4 Plate 3" Glass Bubbler - 50L Boiler
50L BIAB Temp Controlled Mash Tun

3" Carter Head Soon to Come

Long term aging

Postby Sam. » Wed May 22, 2013 8:28 pm

A smaller barrel will also lose more tithe Angels so a 5l barrel after 18 years may be left with bugger all and a low ABV.

Age each batch for a couple of years then bottle then give him a monster haul on his birthday!
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby Bushy » Wed May 22, 2013 10:28 pm

Hey Jonno,
In my opinion, the most reliable thing to do for a twenty year age, would be a gallon demijohn. I would replace the rubber washer with some brown coffee filter, fill it up with yr favourite and put 1 or 2 charred domino in there. Stick it in the dark.
Hopefully your youngun won't be a drinker and you can call on your old mates from aussiedistiller to give you hand with that twenty year old BKO. :pray:
Don't forget
Bushy

equipment: 50l keg boiler with 5Star 3600 watt element
4 inch plated column. 4 perf plates.
Lava Rock Behemoth

Return to Oaking and Aging