Brass taps on oak barrels

Discuss everything about oaking and aging here

Postby Dominator » Fri May 24, 2013 3:52 pm

I have been looking at oak barrels used for ageing rum, bourbon etc. and I have noticed the majority of them come with a brass tap. I was of the opinion that brass was a no go, or is that just on your still? Is there a problem with storing high ABV (65%) in a barrel with a brass tap?

PS. Sorry if this is in the wrong section.
Dominator

equipment: 2" Pot Still/Hybrid
4" Perf Plate Bubbler
50L Keg boiler with 2 x 2400w elements

Re: Brass taps on oak barrels

Postby MacStill » Fri May 24, 2013 4:23 pm

opinions on brass vary a lot, personally I reckon it's ok to use a bit.... others will say "fuck no" no brass ever.

I guess it's up to the individual and what you're comfortable with ;-)
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby Dominator » Fri May 24, 2013 4:29 pm

So a brass tap on a 5L keg might be ok but a vessel made of brass is not so good. ;)
Dominator

4" Perf Plate Bubbler

Postby crow » Fri May 24, 2013 4:47 pm

well bud its about surface area say your brass tap is 1% lead and 1% of that is the surface area of the tap now that tap is probably in contact with .01 % of the spirit and that lead if its there at all will be removed by the first glass of spirit to come out of it so you can do the maths from there, but I'm sure that others will soon be along to tell you you can die from being in the same room as it :laughing-rolling: . 2 of my barrels have brass taps and it doesn't effect me effect me effect me ;-)
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby MacStill » Fri May 24, 2013 5:10 pm

I heard unprotected sex and alcohol can kill you too :scared-eek:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby crow » Fri May 24, 2013 5:32 pm

MacStill wrote:I heard unprotected sex and alcohol can kill you too :scared-eek:

Yeah not sure it would kill ya but I quite imagine it would burn a fair bit :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby bt1 » Fri May 24, 2013 8:01 pm

Howdy,

Using brass is a little controversial... I'm one who sees it as risk especially in the vapour stream where the surface is "'scrubbed" by the vapour, this presenting new material constantly.....but at the end of the day it's your call.

lead leaches to lead acetate in the presence of alcohol a form of corrosion ...i.e. it moves chemically through the metal

In terms of the maths, heres a version for consideration.

So if your tap weights 20gms and could contain somewhere between 1 and 12% lead( no label?) the lead content say based on a more common figure (DR brass is "low lead" i.e. under 9%) so say 5% for ease and a DR product it's got about 1gm of lead. It may take years if ever to leach it out, it may never leach it all. But it does leach some.

Safe water guidelines measure lead in micrograms i.e. 1,000, 000 of a gram

Pickling brass is a surface treatment that short term stabilises the surface area by dissolving the lead out... this is a not a bad thing to do if your in any doubt.

Your call, personally I'd get a SS replacement for a few bucks and never have to pickle or think about it again.

bt1
bt1

equipment: 2 x Glass Bubblers, 5 plate 89mm & 6 plate 110mm
4" 6 plate copper bubbler, 500mm copper packed section
Several pots, custom boiler
14 keg rotating brew setup, fermentation & dispenser fridges.

Postby MacStill » Fri May 24, 2013 8:36 pm

however :naughty:

that 5% lead content is for the entire fitting, of which surface area is more than likely less than "how much" ?? that is in contact for how long ?? and is not infinitely reproducing once the lead content in that miniscule surface area is gone.

Lets keep it real eh ?
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby bt1 » Fri May 24, 2013 9:07 pm

mac,

I accept you have a view about no leaching ... figure what I wrote was fairly balanced...

what a step forward! :handgestures-thumbupleft: ....

It may take years if ever to leach it out, it may never leach it all. But it does leach some

It's up to the end user really ..I think we'd both prefer SS but that's about availability and price....now there's a market un touched!

bt1
bt1

equipment: 2 x Glass Bubblers, 5 plate 89mm & 6 plate 110mm
4" 6 plate copper bubbler, 500mm copper packed section
Several pots, custom boiler
14 keg rotating brew setup, fermentation & dispenser fridges.

Postby emptyglass » Fri May 24, 2013 9:17 pm

I'm with crow.
I got a few vessels with brass taps, and it dosn't effect me effect me effect me either.
emptyglass

Postby Urrazeb » Fri May 24, 2013 9:26 pm

Is this another "plastic" thread... :sad:

I had a brass tap on a 9L glass vessel, used it and no health defects as yet, it has since broke and I have replaced it with a cork. There is plenty of paranoia out there about the lead content in brass but really, how fukin pure do some want to get?

I'd use it :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Urrazeb

equipment: Column & pot

Postby Urrazeb » Fri May 24, 2013 9:28 pm

Urrazeb wrote:Is this another "plastic" thread... :sad:

I had a brass tap on a 9L glass vessel, used it and no health defects as yet, it has since broke and I have replaced it with a cork. There is plenty of paranoia out there about the lead content in brass but really, how fukin pure do some want to get?

Edit: But then again, I'm a rebel and don't even measure all my wash ingredients nor take the minutes of how my wash is progressing. Handful is a handful and if its good then I use the same hand for the next gen :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Urrazeb

Postby Dominator » Fri May 24, 2013 9:34 pm

Actually, that raises another point I wanted to ask. I know for gaskets you need cork with no glues etc but as you said you replaced the tap with cork. Did you just use a normal wine bottle type cork? Or are they only ok with low proof alcohol.
Dominator

4" Perf Plate Bubbler

Postby SBB » Fri May 24, 2013 9:40 pm

Ive been waiting for ages for someone to open this can of worms :laughing-rolling: Id love to see the subject bought up on HD, just to see what some of the responses were. My guess is that many of the anti brass crew over there have barrels with brass taps but choose to brush that fact under the carpet. Dont get me wrong, personally I choose not to use brass on a still, why when there are alternatives?
As has been pointed out more than once above, a small brass tap end protruding into a keg presents a very small surface area, I can and do live with that.
Im pretty sure if you were ordering a custom barrel you could stipulate that you wanted a stainless tap, buy off the shelf and your gunna get brass most times.
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby MacStill » Fri May 24, 2013 9:45 pm

SBB wrote:Ive been waiting for ages for someone to open this can of worms :laughing-rolling:

At least your eating, I'd have the fuckers on toast ATM..... I'm starving :shifty:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby Urrazeb » Fri May 24, 2013 10:03 pm

Dominator wrote:

Actually, that raises another point I wanted to ask. I know for gaskets you need cork with no glues etc but as you said you replaced the tap with cork. Did you just use a normal wine bottle type cork? Or are they only ok with low proof alcohol.

It's a shaved down champagne cork :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Urrazeb

Postby MacStill » Fri May 24, 2013 10:09 pm

I piss lead pellets, they never hurt me as much as the cold steel in my back :teasing-neener:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby crow » Fri May 24, 2013 10:53 pm

The thing to remember here is aging barrel strength is 65% , drinking strength is 40%. This tap is not subject to 95.63% at 78' so let's just be real about this hey . Yes mate in my opinion you will be ok, if you were buying a tap for it I would tell you that the HBS sell wooden taps for Fuck all :handgestures-thumbupleft:
crow

Postby MacStill » Sat May 25, 2013 12:02 am

I used a wooden tap on an african negro a few weeks back, I can tell you it had serious health impacts on him and I believe he's going to be suffering for quite some time.... guess it all depends on the tap really :D
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby Sam. » Sat May 25, 2013 12:04 am

I have said it before and I will say it again, you are probably doing more harm by microwaving your dinner on a plastic tray than anything our hobby will do in moderation.

I have been exposed to more nasty chemicals than a tiny bit of brass, as I am sure most people here have.

You ever washed your hands in petrol? Freon? MEK? Probably did more harm to you in that instance than a life time of brass.

Seriously I would be more worried about my liver from the amount of alcohol is has to process compared to some obscure poisning :roll:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Next

Return to Oaking and Aging