Long Term Ageing

Discuss everything about oaking and aging here

Long Term Ageing

Postby Matt S » Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:06 am

Hi guys,

If I am ageing in 4L glass jars, whats the best way to cover the spirit but also allow air to get in? Would placing paper towel over them allow too much air to get in? I would use a wooden cork, but the opening is as wide as the jar.

I was going to just use 5L demijohns but the opening wasnt wide enough to fit the oak dominoes, and I couldnt be bothered cutting them all once they had all been nicely brushed of dust already.

Cheers and thanks :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Matt S

equipment: Pot Still- Mac made
VM Still-Mac made

Re: Long Term Ageing

Postby Bushy » Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:16 am

Not too sure about the jars Matt. I use the demis myself. Dominos only takes one hit on the end with a sharp object and they fit nicely. I also remove the rubber washer and use a bit of folded coffee filter. I'm happy. Perhaps double coffee filters over yr jars.
Bushy

equipment: 50l keg boiler with 5Star 3600 watt element
4 inch plated column. 4 perf plates.
Lava Rock Behemoth

Postby Matt S » Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:22 am

So you are placing the coffee paper over the opening and still clamping it shut (without the rubber washer) over that? Or are you just placing the coffee paper over the opening and then holding it there with a rubber band?

Cheers mate
Matt S

VM Still-Mac made

Postby Matt S » Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:23 am

PS- By long term, I mean 5 years+
Matt S

VM Still-Mac made

Postby Bushy » Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:54 am

Clamping it over the filter paper. Five years time your jars will be empty, i reckon. Not too sure you need to give that much to the angels.
Bushy

equipment: 50l keg boiler with 5Star 3600 watt element
4 inch plated column. 4 perf plates.
Lava Rock Behemoth

Postby crow » Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:23 pm

Firstly I call this flavouring not aging . I give stuff plenty of airing before I place it on chips/sticks in a jar or bottle then I seal it,on probs :handgestures-thumbupleft: . The exception to this is my barrel aged stuff ;-)
These are just my opinions but you are unlikely to change them :laughing-rolling:
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby Matt S » Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:00 pm

When you seal the jar or bottle, are you worried the alcohol fumes are going to leach into the rubber, plastic lid at all?

Cheers fellas, appreciate the feedback :handgestures-thumbdown:
Matt S

VM Still-Mac made

Postby crow » Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:36 pm

Yeah mate that's what they mean. Wrap it in thread seal or get a silicone or :handgestures-thumbupleft: cork seal
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby scarecrow » Sat Jul 13, 2013 9:24 pm

I age my stuff in 5 litre pickling jars from The Reject Shop.
I remove the rubber seal and the metal clamping mechanism and just have the glass lid as the only seal.

I find over a 12 month period my hooch goes from 65% to 60% and after 2 years it ends up at about 55-58%.

The hooch can still breathe and it slowly mellows over about 2 years. I found if I seal it totally, it is not as smooth, but has a higher ABV%.
I try to get 2 years on oak with all my hooch.

scarecrow
scarecrow

equipment: 4" 4 plate glasser
80cm reflux column
3 ring banjo

Postby Milky » Sat Jul 13, 2013 9:46 pm

scarecrow wrote:I age my stuff in 5 litre pickling jars from The Reject Shop.
I remove the rubber seal and the metal clamping mechanism and just have the glass lid as the only seal.

I find over a 12 month period my hooch goes from 65% to 60% and after 2 years it ends up at about 55-58%.

The hooch can still breathe and it slowly mellows over about 2 years. I found if I seal it totally, it is not as smooth, but has a higher ABV%.
I try to get 2 years on oak with all my hooch.

scarecrow

So have big are your oak pieces leaving them in for 2years? Interested as I haven't done it yet but am close
Milky

equipment: Bender The 4" Copper Bubbler
Bender The 50L Electric Keg Boiler (2 xoxo 2000w 5 Star Elements)
Pure Distilling 2 Inch Reflux Still with 30 Litre Electric Boiler (2000w)
Homemade Copper 2 Inch Pot Still Condenser to fit the 30 Litre Electric Boiler.

Postby bt1 » Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:13 am

Hello Mikly,

Do roughly the same process so won't go into that. This for UJSM's/Ryes/Malt washes
But once it's done in jars, transfer to postmix 19lt kegs for ageing. The 5lt jars would have 2 x 1cmx12cm x1cm sticks roughly during the colouring/flavouring stage.
Once into keg seriously reduce timber to same 2 but for whole keg= 2 sticks per 19lt.

If you age at same level as you flavour it turns to "wood soup" and is well over done.

If in jars for a good 3 -4 months, after the first month there's also a good reason to taste and reduce timber to just 1 stick.. but this is personal flavour pref.

Reckon there's a good case here also to try medium to heavy toast vs. a char stick. Char seems to impart quicker flavour/colour good for flavouring stage but is less suited to ageing long term imho.

Port soaked stick make great long term ageing sticks btw given most of the bite has diminished.

For rums, bit different, again on personal taste, but use raw American oak as it turns the spirit faster without the char effect coming through.

bt1
bt1

equipment: 2 x Glass Bubblers, 5 plate 89mm & 6 plate 110mm
4" 6 plate copper bubbler, 500mm copper packed section
Several pots, custom boiler
14 keg rotating brew setup, fermentation & dispenser fridges.

Postby scarecrow » Tue Jul 16, 2013 3:27 pm

Milky wrote:So have big are your oak pieces leaving them in for 2years? Interested as I haven't done it yet but am close

My oak pieces are 100mm x 20mm x 20mm, alligator char.
I oak for 12 months on these. After that, I snap them in half and age for another 12 months+ .

Oaking is a personal preference. Find what works for you and stick to it.

scarecrow
scarecrow

80cm reflux column
3 ring banjo

Long Term Ageing

Postby BackyardBrewer » Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:04 pm

scarecrow wrote:I oak for 12 months on these. After that, I snap them in half and age for another 12 months+ .

Oaking is a personal preference. Find what works for you and stick to it.

scarecrow

My "preference" is that I figure out how to make enough so I can have product aging for 12 months.

Well done on getting it to last that long:-)
BackyardBrewer
Site Donor

equipment: Solid Copper Love Machine (Plated column bubbler), hand made with love by a forum member
50L keg boiler with 2 x 2400w elements
PURE distilling Reflux still + a tonne of homebrew gear amassed over 10 years of brewing.

Postby Milky » Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:21 pm

Scarecrow, bt1 & BackyardBrewer, thank you heaps for your replies. It all makes sense now. I was only curious as I'm about 5 days away now from putting 2 lots of MacWhiskey (with LME) on oak and had no idea what I was doing. I was going to put toasted oak in one lot then charred & toasted in the other. Not quite up to the 19lt mark on spirit stock yet but that's a bloody good idea hey! I like it! Wanted to long term age some whiskey when I get up to doing a UJSM which is probably only a week from putting down the first ferment.
Milky

equipment: Bender The 4" Copper Bubbler
Bender The 50L Electric Keg Boiler (2 xoxo 2000w 5 Star Elements)
Pure Distilling 2 Inch Reflux Still with 30 Litre Electric Boiler (2000w)
Homemade Copper 2 Inch Pot Still Condenser to fit the 30 Litre Electric Boiler.

Postby scarecrow » Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:04 am

BackyardBrewer wrote:My "preference" is that I figure out how to make enough so I can have product aging for 12 months.

I started on a 15l stovetop job many years ago. It was frustrating to put 8 hours of my day into this and only getting a litre of drinkable.
Best move was to a keg and 60 litre fermenter. :happy-partydance:

scarecrow
scarecrow

80cm reflux column
3 ring banjo

Return to Oaking and Aging