How do I refurbish this barrel?

Discuss everything about oaking and aging here

Re: How do I refurbish this barrel?

Postby Aussiedownunder01 » Sat Jul 27, 2013 12:56 pm

Duct tape :))
Aussiedownunder01

Location: So close to melbourne airport you can hear the plains
equipment: 100 litre boiler with a 4 in 5 plate bubbler on top with a 500 packed section standing by if needed

Postby r.c.barstud » Sat Jul 27, 2013 12:59 pm

Aussiedownunder01 wrote:Duct tape :))

I have used duct tape before, hey it worked :-D
r.c.barstud

equipment: Gas fired 50 litre pot still (common head) and 18 litre thumper.

Postby Sam. » Sat Jul 27, 2013 1:18 pm

Great tips there RC thanks heaps!

Yeah did read about slow but I was in a rush like always! The next time I will take my time, what do you normally use for it?
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby r.c.barstud » Sat Aug 03, 2013 11:10 am

sam_and_liv wrote:Great tips there RC thanks heaps!

Yeah did read about slow but I was in a rush like always! The next time I will take my time, what do you normally use for it?

oak, use oak as the heat source, in a fire bucket, i have no idea how to explain a crisset, but a steel bucket with holes in the side of it will do just fine, or for the smaller kegs, a baby formula tin with holes will do, for the smaller iddy biddy teeny weeny kegs, a milo tin, for the tiny kegs a lots of this :angry-banghead: will be happening followed by some more of this :violence-smack: and possibly some of this ~x(
r.c.barstud

Postby Sam. » Sat Aug 03, 2013 12:49 pm

Thanks for the reply mate, I was thinking that a more traditional way would be best :laughing-rolling:

Might give that a crack with the next victim :D
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.

Postby crow » Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:50 pm

Isn't a crisset a wire or iron strap basket to hold burning timber designed to emminate heat same as you might use in a smoke house :? ?
would you thing for refurbishing smaller barrels it would pay to at least loosely fit the chime and maybe even the bilge hoops prior to firing to prevent the timber from heat distortion (that's what I do anyway)
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby Sam. » Sat Aug 10, 2013 9:05 am

Here is the next victim :D

image.jpg

The hoops on it are incredibly soft and there are a couple of small nails holding each one on. Not sure how well it will go back together.

This is where I am so far, I think I will try and keep it together while getting the timber knocked back then try a better toasting method :handgestures-thumbupleft:

image.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sam.
Lifetime Member

18 Gal boiler.

Postby r.c.barstud » Sat Aug 10, 2013 7:22 pm

loosen hoops, remove headboards and tighten hoops, shave and refire, let cool, loosen hoops, insert shaved heads, re-tighten hoops.... are them hoops brass??
r.c.barstud

Postby Sam. » Sat Aug 10, 2013 8:22 pm

Yeah reckon they are they are very soft :handgestures-thumbdown:

Weird shapes barrel too, not enough curve for my liking
Sam.
Lifetime Member

18 Gal boiler.

Postby crow » Sun Aug 11, 2013 12:38 am

I've seen barrels similar to that I think you'll find those bands are plated copper. There would be enough curve for the hoops to pull the staffs tight. I'd just sand it but if you wanted to char it a little as I said I would remove the cant and head boards and put the hoops back on to prevent it distorting from the heat but I would maybe wet the croze and chime with a wet cloth or sponge as charring them could give you the devils own time to get them to re-seal
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby crow » Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:27 am

Ya know what would look really coo Sam!, something I'm thinking of doing with the next one I referbish is removing the blank/back headboards and replacing it with 10mm glass :D
crow

Postby r.c.barstud » Mon Aug 12, 2013 6:39 am

crow wrote:Ya know what would look really coo Sam!, something I'm thinking of doing with the next one I referbish is removing the blank/back headboards and replacing it with 10mm glass :D

i have done this for people in the past, use perspex though, it tends to have more "give" in it :handgestures-thumbupleft:
r.c.barstud

Postby Sam. » Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:47 am

That would be pretty damn cool :music-deathmetal:

I will put up some pics in the next post but I used the milo tin method with some oak stave pieces that were burnt down to coals. Sat the barrel over it for a couple of hours and it was nice and warm inside hope it was done enough, forgot to take a pic of inside before it went back together :angry-banghead:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

18 Gal boiler.

Postby Sam. » Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:50 am

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1376261298.976564.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1376261338.958612.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1376261378.344927.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sam.
Lifetime Member

18 Gal boiler.

Postby Sam. » Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:51 am

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1376261437.796588.jpg
Sam.
Lifetime Member

18 Gal boiler.

Postby BackyardBrewer » Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:00 am

Great pix Sam!
BackyardBrewer
Site Donor

equipment: Solid Copper Love Machine (Plated column bubbler), hand made with love by a forum member
50L keg boiler with 2 x 2400w elements
PURE distilling Reflux still + a tonne of homebrew gear amassed over 10 years of brewing.

Postby Sam. » Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:15 am

BackyardBrewer wrote:Great pix Sam!

The old iPhone does allright :laughing-rolling:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

18 Gal boiler.

Postby r.c.barstud » Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:53 pm

heres a good lil trick or a useless piece of knowledge....... get some fine saw dust, like from a dropsaw, bandsaw that sort of thing. get your fire going and a good coal bed, and throw a handful of the sawdust over the top of the crisset, and through the flames heat, not the actual flames. DONT put your head over the flames. if it goes woosh and really really flares up, your fire temperature is spot on, if it fizzles and dont flare up much, you will need more heat. if you are breaking out in a sweat before you through the sawdust, your fire is a bit too hot.. :-D
r.c.barstud

Previous

Return to Oaking and Aging