aging in barrels

Discuss everything about oaking and aging here

Re: aging in barrels

Postby dogbreath vodka » Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:32 am

I've been playing around with distilling and flavouring for a couple or three years now.
Having read this thread - it occurred to me that if I had read it at the beginning it would mean nothing much.
I just wouldn't have understood.

My point is simple.
Even though many of the threads are repeated we are all at different levels of understanding and trying this and that.
We need such threads repeated or pinned so us neewbs can get edumarcated.

Cheers and thanks to all that posted. :handgestures-thumbupleft: :handgestures-thumbupleft:

DBV
dogbreath vodka

equipment: "Steampunk 2 - 6" Bubble cap
"Jimmy" the 4" Carter head

Postby Konzo » Sat Aug 03, 2013 10:22 pm

bt1 wrote:catcher,

there lies the problem and if we could get em they would most likely be hogsheads - 300lt or the 225lt barque??? one...near useless for hobby level.... don't despair however cost you've access to plenty of used timber strips from bourbon makers....might be a workable solution for you.

bt1

Bugger!

So where would people recommend buying barrels from in OZ then? Even 50-100L new American Oak ones????
Konzo

equipment: 6" Plated Mac Still on 200L "Mr Squiggle" Boiler :-)

Postby bt1 » Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:02 am

catcher,

the barrel type your after is called a topping barrel. They are 65lt and 100lt sized. There's several cooperages that make them and retailers like roll out the barrel.

just for info here's a link to a local who does em..in about 5 different oaks then add in toasts...ain't cheap btw.

http://www.apjohn.com.au/barrels/small-oak-casks

cheers
bt1
bt1

equipment: 2 x Glass Bubblers, 5 plate 89mm & 6 plate 110mm
4" 6 plate copper bubbler, 500mm copper packed section
Several pots, custom boiler
14 keg rotating brew setup, fermentation & dispenser fridges.

Postby ozybottler » Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:39 am

would it be ok to oak for a while then bottle with cork if kept in right environment it should age just like wine :think:
ozybottler

equipment: reflux still and pot still

Postby Konzo » Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:03 pm

Sweet thanks I will keep researching :-)
Konzo

Postby crow » Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:53 pm

@ ozybottler : no once bottled it will not age further.
@ catcher it is not possible to help you much with your question of appropriate cooperages to approach when you have not indicated a general location or state nor have you introduced yourself in the welcome centre ;-)
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby Grandvewe » Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:37 pm

Wow RC Barstud! Thankyou so much for taking the time to write all that you have, and thanks to BT1, Crow and everyone else for such a quality thread.

RC can I blatantly rape your mind further for more detail on your aerating philosophy?

What size jar do you use?
Do you leave the lid off or on your jar?
If lid on, do you leave an air gap of fill to the brim and simply let the aerator do its job?
What quantity/weight of wood chips do you use for the quantity of alcohol?
How long do you do this process before your normally happy with the result?
Do you keep your aerator on 24/7 until your happy with the flavour or only periodically?

Thanks again :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Grandvewe

equipment: FSD Pot still off a 50L Keg with gin basket

Postby crow » Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:51 am

Given that this thread was started about aging in barrels not the many methods of flavouring in a non porous container I really think it should be in another thread. I have nothing against flavouring what so ever but there is no ullage and it is not aging. The end result will not be the same and for these reasons ticks every box for being of topic
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby bt1 » Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:20 pm

Howdy,

I reckon Pug in original post was looking for a 18 year soln. the container he mentioned a wood barrel, was and is the most common known method.. nothing wrong there but it's not off topic to suggest a soln. to his specific requirement ...the storage and ageing requirement for 18 years. Pug where are u :handgestures-thumbupleft:

There's a few issues here that need addressing but short on time at the mo...be back to this on the weekend. This is a great thread and needs some love and careful thinking as I reckon it will become a sticky if there was an admin about ;-)

bt1
bt1

equipment: 2 x Glass Bubblers, 5 plate 89mm & 6 plate 110mm
4" 6 plate copper bubbler, 500mm copper packed section
Several pots, custom boiler
14 keg rotating brew setup, fermentation & dispenser fridges.

Postby Sam. » Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:52 pm

bt1 wrote:Howdy,

I reckon Pug in original post was looking for a 18 year soln. the container he mentioned a wood barrel, was and is the most common known method.. nothing wrong there but it's not off topic to suggest a soln. to his specific requirement ...the storage and ageing requirement for 18 years. Pug where are u :handgestures-thumbupleft:

There's a few issues here that need addressing but short on time at the mo...be back to this on the weekend. This is a great thread and needs some love and careful thinking as I reckon it will become a sticky if there was an admin about ;-)

bt1

I would say this is all in development right now. I don't see it reaching a tried and proven until most here are almost dead :handgestures-thumbupleft: :laughing-rolling:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby MacStill » Fri Aug 09, 2013 7:30 am

bt1 wrote:Howdy, I reckon it will become a sticky if there was an admin about ;-)

bt1

Yeah dunno where you'd find one of them :roll:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby Konzo » Sun Aug 11, 2013 12:24 pm

scarecrow wrote:Here is some interesting info on barrel aging.

http://oakagingbarrels.com/small-barrels?mobile=1

IE if it takes 1 year to age whiskey in a 200 litre barrel, it will take 173 days in a 20 litre barrel.
Do the maths.

scarecrow

So am I understanding this right? That if I wanted to age a whisky for say 7 years but in a 20L barrel it would be 7 x 173 days which would equate to 3.3 years?

Also what is the recommended time for aging Whisky and other spirits? Mins and max?
Konzo

Previous

Return to Oaking and Aging